Sponsored

Wildtrak and Rock Crawling - which GOAT mode?

Darrow

Wildtrak
First Name
Darrow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak 2023
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So in order to get to some dunes I’m going to traverse some rock crawls. Just curious what other WT owners are doing for slow crawls as far as GOAT modes go. I have been doing it in 4L on normal which has been fine with zero problems. I know I can add rock crawl mode with forscan, but I’m taking a 4000 mile trip and I can’t have anything go wrong with the electronics. The parameters of the rock crawl mode are enticing tho - soft throttle and tight steering. I think normal mode most closely replicates it.
Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

definitely changes the throttle as you mentioned.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I may be incorrect but..... The goat modes are handy but you have several buttons to push that will come close to the goat mode setting. 4 low, front and rear locker as needed.
I wish that my wildtrak had rock crawl but I think that I can come close to replicating it when needed.

OP
OP
Darrow

Darrow

Wildtrak
First Name
Darrow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak 2023
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I may be incorrect but..... The goat modes are handy but you have several buttons to push that will come close to the goat mode setting. 4 low, front and rear locker as needed.
I wish that my wildtrak had rock crawl but I think that I can come close to replicating it when needed.
Well the changes in throttle response, steering tightness and shifting points are very noticeable - parameters you can’t change with buttons.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I haven't bothered to try it, but is it possible to select 4L in eco mode? It changes throttle position mapping to be less aggressive sort of like rock mode does, might give that a shot and see if it works.

Also, don't be afraid of forscan, it's hard to mess anything up if you save all of your as built values beforehand. If you've got some time to fool around with it, I'd take that route instead. Rock mode is actually pretty useful beyond just pushing the buttons for you, and there's plenty of other handy features you can add that'll make the rest of your trip better too.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Darrow

Darrow

Wildtrak
First Name
Darrow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak 2023
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I haven't bothered to try it, but is it possible to select 4L in eco mode? It changes throttle position mapping to be less aggressive sort of like rock mode does, might give that a shot and see if it works.

Also, don't be afraid of forscan, it's hard to mess anything up if you save all of your as built values beforehand. If you've got some time to fool around with it, I'd take that route instead. Rock mode is actually pretty useful beyond just pushing the buttons for you, and there's plenty of other handy features you can add that'll make the rest of your trip better too.
Yea I already got in there and eliminated the double honk and some other chimes. Just something about messing with the UI has me worried. But maybe I will…what were your favorite forscan changes?

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yea I already got in there and eliminated the double honk and some other chimes. Just something about messing with the UI has me worried. But maybe I will…what were your favorite forscan changes?
I changed double honk, added Rock Crawl, and changed the EQ settings for the speakers on my Wildtrak. Adding Rock Crawl had zero effect on the UI, other than giving me another option. Of course, I don't have the disconnecting front sway bar, but I don't anticipate any significantly high camber differences in my use cases.

JR

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well I ise Mud/ruts for all my actual off roading... manually switching between 4H and 4L as needed.

Sand is for deep sand/snow with alot of slippage and Baja we know so that is really the only "off road" mode we have. Haven't had any issues yet but haven't done any major Rock crawling.

I do have debated enabling rock crawl mode, but for now, I haven't tweaked anything and am stock when it comes to that.

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My Bronco is used primarily for off-road and I’ve never used a goat mode. I know what I want the truck to do so I select what I need.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just something about messing with the UI has me worried.
To activate the rock crawl goat mode you, literally, just need to change one number of the "code." You are just unlocking what is already there and not reprogramming anything.

Sponsored

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I changed double honk, added Rock Crawl, and changed the EQ settings for the speakers on my Wildtrak. Adding Rock Crawl had zero effect on the UI, other than giving me another option. Of course, I don't have the disconnecting front sway bar, but I don't anticipate any significantly high camber differences in my use cases.

JR
Same - no issues after adding Rock Crawl. In fact, I've even had it into the dealer for Service on the ECM and they left Rock Crawl activated.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Bronco is used primarily for off-road and I’ve never used a goat mode. I know what I want the truck to do so I select what I need.
Same, for off road, but have used Sport and Eco GOAT modes.

OP
OP
Darrow

Darrow

Wildtrak
First Name
Darrow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak 2023
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I got rock crawl added and took it to a local trail. It feels opposite to mud/ruts in steering and acceleration. Got a 2 month trip coming up in a few days, can’t wait to try it out for real!!

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like Rock Crawl for the forward camera. Does any other GOAT mode put that on the screen? In all fairness to myself I’ve only ever used Normal, Sport (added via FORScan) and Rock Crawl GOAT modes. That camera is the bee-knees for climbing.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So in order to get to some dunes I’m going to traverse some rock crawls. Just curious what other WT owners are doing for slow crawls as far as GOAT modes go. I have been doing it in 4L on normal which has been fine with zero problems. I know I can add rock crawl mode with forscan, but I’m taking a 4000 mile trip and I can’t have anything go wrong with the electronics. The parameters of the rock crawl mode are enticing tho - soft throttle and tight steering. I think normal mode most closely replicates it.
" I can’t have anything go wrong with the electronics" KISS method then!
Sponsored