Sponsored

WildTrak Soft Top Test Drive - Quick Thoughts.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I took a 4D WildTrak Soft Top out today for about half an hour, and here are my thoughts:

1) Overall: Loved it. It is a fantastic vehicle. It looks amazing. I am getting Rapid Red, and it was fantastic in person. The 4 door has perfect proportions....assuming Sasquatch package.

2) Interior: I liked the entire interior. I really think it is nearly perfect for what it is intended to be. It is roomy for my 6'1" 205lb frame. Tons of cargo space with the seats down. The entire interior feels like it is of high quality from a durability standpoint, and it is comfortable. This has been beaten to death, so I won't labor on the interior.

3) Driving impressions: The vehicle is awesome to drive...in one word: fun. I pulled out of the dealer lot and drove for a bit, then dropped the top into the half open position, and dropped the windows. Up to 77mph and it was pure pleasure. I can't ask for more. The only thing I dislike is the low end acceleration. 0-40 feels somewhat slow; there is a pedal lag. On the highway at speed it has PLENTY of power to pass at speed, but taking off is not great...don't pull out in busy traffic. I am hoping that it is limited through the break in period and that this improves.

4) Soft Top: I am glad I changed to the soft top. It is very good quality and looks great...except for those wavy windows. The buckles are not adjustable, so it can not be adjusted out...it is what it is. The fact that Ford allowed Webasto to supply these windows instead of mandating stiff windows like BesTop uses is beyond unbelievable. That said...the rest is very nice and usable. The cloth is great, the function up and down is great. It is solid...it's not going to leak. The top is very good except for that one piece.

Ford Bronco WildTrak Soft Top Test Drive - Quick Thoughts. 1626283159761

Ford Bronco WildTrak Soft Top Test Drive - Quick Thoughts. 1626283185063

Ford Bronco WildTrak Soft Top Test Drive - Quick Thoughts. 1626283213518

Ford Bronco WildTrak Soft Top Test Drive - Quick Thoughts. 1626283234704
Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome to hear about the soft top!
Glad your impressions were mainly positive...

bring in the Broncos....

OtisFE

Outer Banks
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Photos sure look like a Wild Trak

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm thinking the reason for the side windows being wavy is the way the soft top can be lifted a bit at the rear. I guess the windows need to be a bit pliable for that to happen. This is just a SWAG, because I don't know for sure.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm thinking the reason for the side windows being wavy is the way the soft top can be lifted a bit at the rear. I guess the windows need to be a bit pliable for that to happen. This is just a SWAG, because I don't know for sure.
This is exactly the reason, no assumptions or guessing. I’ve talked to someone involved with the top program and expressed my hatred for the soft top. The waviness is due to the design requirement of the lift up rear hatch. That function required a more pliable window material. I think most of us would of chosen a stationary hatch over the wrinkly as balls windows. I would fully expect this to be redesigned in the future.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Any cloth interior photo’s?

kje22kje

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runner TRD Off Rd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's got to be this right? With a more rigid window maybe you'd be creating different stress points.

Sponsored

ATXGuy

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSQ8
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

For the speculators, the soft top Wildtrak are not for sale units. They had a few at the bronco off-roadeo.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I took a 4D WildTrak Soft Top out today for about half an hour, and here are my thoughts:

1) Overall: Loved it. It is a fantastic vehicle. It looks amazing. I am getting Rapid Red, and it was fantastic in person. The 4 door has perfect proportions....assuming Sasquatch package.

2) Interior: I liked the entire interior. I really think it is nearly perfect for what it is intended to be. It is roomy for my 6'1" 205lb frame. Tons of cargo space with the seats down. The entire interior feels like it is of high quality from a durability standpoint, and it is comfortable. This has been beaten to death, so I won't labor on the interior.

3) Driving impressions: The vehicle is awesome to drive...in one word: fun. I pulled out of the dealer lot and drove for a bit, then dropped the top into the half open position, and dropped the windows. Up to 77mph and it was pure pleasure. I can't ask for more. The only thing I dislike is the low end acceleration. 0-40 feels somewhat slow; there is a pedal lag. On the highway at speed it has PLENTY of power to pass at speed, but taking off is not great...don't pull out in busy traffic. I am hoping that it is limited through the break in period and that this improves.

4) Soft Top: I am glad I changed to the soft top. It is very good quality and looks great...except for those wavy windows. The buckles are not adjustable, so it can not be adjusted out...it is what it is. The fact that Ford allowed Webasto to supply these windows instead of mandating stiff windows like BesTop uses is beyond unbelievable. That said...the rest is very nice and usable. The cloth is great, the function up and down is great. It is solid...it's not going to leak. The top is very good except for that one piece.

That learning transmission should adjust to get you in 1st hear for take off.
Sport mode may help?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
0-40 feels somewhat slow; there is a pedal lag. On the highway at speed it has PLENTY of power to pass at speed, but taking off is not great...don't pull out in busy traffic. I am hoping that it is limited through the break in period and that this improves.
What drive mode were you in? That will have a huge effect on pedal calibration. I found in my old car (Lincoln) that in Sport mode, by the time the gas pedal was 50% pressed, the ECU had the throttle 100% open. That's what made sport mode feel so peppy and responsive.

From everything I'm hearing about the Broncos from owners, I'm assuming Ford has a VERY conservative throttle setup in Normal mode to try and squeak out as many mpgs as it can. Gas mileage is one place that Jeep has Ford beat, so Ford has to try their absolute hardest to keep the engines out of boost to keep mpgs up.

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is exactly the reason, no assumptions or guessing. I’ve talked to someone involved with the top program and expressed my hatred for the soft top. The waviness is due to the design requirement of the lift up rear hatch. That function required a more pliable window material. I think most of us would of chosen a stationary hatch over the wrinkly as balls windows. I would fully expect this to be redesigned in the future.
While I dislike the waviness, I do want the lift up rear. That's one of the thing I miss when my JLU is on a soft top vs my hard top.
Sponsored