Will 6th gen 4Runner TRD PRO compete vs. Bronco Sasquatch and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon? 🥊

Henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4runner
What's everyone's expectations on if & how the 6th gen 4Runner will compete with the likes of the competition's top of the line off-road capable vehicles -- i.e. Bronco Sasquatch and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon?

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
What's everyone's expectations on if & how the 6th gen 4Runner will compete with the likes of the competition's top of the line off-road capable vehicles -- i.e. Bronco Sasquatch and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon?
I think it will compete very well against those models. Another model I see it going hand to hand with is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. That model Off road wise is good.

TSlop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
~2026 4Runner
In my opinion, it'll compete as much, or as little, as it did before. If the spy shots are 100% the next gen 4Runner, it isn't going to change drastically, for better or worse.

With the Land Cruiser's lower price, it is encroaching on the 4Runner territory, and there may have been an opportunity to move the 4Runner in an FJ direction to help differentiate, or "directly" compete with the Bronco. Since they apparently aren't going that route with the 4Runner.... I'll accept a manual transmission in consolidation. One can dream....

beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 4Runner
No front locker or Torsen offered, its already at a disadvantage.

4 Run Run Run

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport with manual transmission
I don't even care if I am only competing with the Bronco and Jeep in the Mall parking lot - just give me the manual transmission and you will get my business.

TSlop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
~2026 4Runner
I don't even care if I am only competing with the Bronco and Jeep in the Mall parking lot - just give me the manual transmission and you will get my business.
Next year, I'm going to replace my Highlander with a new 4Runner or Taco. I'm dying to go back to a manual; 4 of my last 6 vehicles have had a manual transmission. If Toyota is going to share the Taco platform and engine with the 4Runner, I think it'd be the perfect chance to re-introduce a manual, since the Taco kept it alive. It'll also help compete with the Bronco and Wrangler, since they have to be like the only SUV-type vehicle left with a manual that I know of.

If they don't do it, at least a Taco will be in my driveway next year.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Next year, I'm going to replace my Highlander with a new 4Runner or Taco. I'm dying to go back to a manual; 4 of my last 6 vehicles have had a manual transmission. If Toyota is going to share the Taco platform and engine with the 4Runner, I think it'd be the perfect chance to re-introduce a manual, since the Taco kept it alive. It'll also help compete with the Bronco and Wrangler, since they have to be like the only SUV-type vehicle left with a manual that I know of.

If they don't do it, at least a Taco will be in my driveway next year.
As much as I love this idea and agree, I won't be a customer due to some degenerative disc issues and a blown left knee.

In fact, my 2004 Taco is for sale as is my 2004 e46 ZHP coupe because I've sadly aged out of a daily driven manual transmission.

Zerny

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Corolla SE
Here's my expectations, I would like to get a 4Runner TRD Pro or if that is unaffordable (strong possibility), I don't mind going for a TRD OFF-ROAD and adding mods. I would like to ability to fit 35's on 17 inch rims without having to do fender cutting, body mount chops and mutilating the front end. I would like Toyota to recognize that the community likes to modify it's vehicles and if you don't, that's fine, keep it stock but for us that like to mod, I would like some of the hurdles and obstacles we face to be eliminated. Again, I hate comparing it to a Jeep since both are different beasts (IFS VS SFA) but when I had my Rubicon, I could easily put on 35's with a simple shock/spring upgrade. I'm not saying I expect that for the 4Runner, IFS is a totally different suspension but I'd love to be able to upgrade control arms, shocks, springs, sway bar disconnects and put on 33's or 35's without having to body mount chop my frame, cut my front fenders, go aftermarket on tie rods and lower my drive shaft. Again, big ask because companies now design vehicles for mass production without people modifying them in mind, I get that but it's something I would like for the community.

Also, my concern is the Hybrid batteries and water. I did a lot of water crossings with my Rubicon and Tacoma. No issues. I was smart about it, never let it get over my hood or close to that, I had a diff breather installed and got away without needing a snorkel. If it was too risky, I'd bypass it some way. My concern is being able to do the same in a Hybrid 4Runner, last thing I want is my dash lit up like a Christmas tree and going to the dealership for a big pay day for them.

I would like the rear window to roll down, power supplies and USB's galore for the interior, I'd like AUX buttons near the sunroof (if that option is available). I would love the backseats to fold flat so you can use your available space wisely.

That's kind of it, I am excited for the new engine, hybrid system and design that Toyota is going to release. I've owned a Rubicon Jeep, Tacoma and a 4Runner and by far for my needs and families needs the 4Runner made most sense. Let's see what Toyota does moving forward.

H2O_Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G 4Runner Trail Edition, JLU Rubicon, M2 Comp
I have a 5th gen trail and JLU Rubicon. I like the 4Runner better as an overlander and a better daily. The JLU is certainly preferred for a lot of off-roading (but not all). JLU is also just fun to bounce around in.

Build quality is night and day - Toyota all day long. I trust my 4Runner not to leave me and the family stranded.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
As far as I'm concerned, there is no competition. I've been a Toyota fanboy since early 2021 when my wife and I bought a 2008 FJ with almost 140,000 miles on it. We needed a vehicle to keep at our home in AZ, while we were still living in NY. We've owned 4 Jeeps and a plethora of Domestic ("American") vehicles over the years. That 13 year old FJ felt tighter and built better than any American vehicle I've ever driven off a showroom floor, which is quite a few. Not to mention, in the 6 month intervals that the FJ sat in our garage, while we weren't there, it didn't leak a single drop of anything on my brand new concrete floor! I hated them when they came out because I thought they were ugly as sin, but after driving it, I was instantly smitten. I've been stalking 4Runners since 2013, but for various reasons, I never ended up with one. I think that's going to change, since I've been waiting for a long time for this redesign to happen.

Reactions: MJE