Sponsored

Will a diesel Bronco be in the mix soon ?

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t hate diesels but the math doesn’t work out. I just mathematically proved to you why your not saving any money. Better fuel economy doesn’t mean diddly squat when the savings results in $100 difference over 15k miles.
Modern V8s are anything but gas guzzling they’ve improved leaps and strides. Diesels unfortunately have regressed. So if a V8 costs $150-200 more in fuel a year than a diesel what the hell is the difference? You get diesel torque without the cost penalty.
Ohtay let’s spend a dollar more to get what we want, my vehicle, my money, my Choice, spend the extra dollar get it like You want it.

I drink very strong black coffee. That’s my choice. How do you like your coffee obx?
Sponsored

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow y’all are making me want one even more!

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t want it for towing, got a F250 for that. Now a little trailer with a Razr, or a 4wheeler is not out of the question. But just about anything will pull that. I want a diesel because I like the idea of it, the low end torque, the fuel economy, the rumble. The Ford Toller T4 has a small diesel and would really like to have one of those, they are the almost perfect off road vehicle from the factory but they won’t allow import of them.
Don’t disagree but it’s just not gonna happen in Bronco. I absolutely love my F350 PS and serves its purpose. I don’t see a substitute for diesel torque any time soon pulling a 15-20k pound fifth wheel.

But...Ford can’t sell the baby PS in the best selling truck in the universe. Not in the cards.

The commerce tax on diesel doesn’t help either. Cheaper to refine yet more expensive.🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t disagree but it’s just not gonna happen in Bronco. I absolutely love my F350 PS and serves its purpose. I don’t see a substitute for diesel torque any time soon pulling a 15-20k pound wheel.

But...Ford can’t sell the baby PS in the best selling truck in the universe. Not in the cards.

The commerce tax on diesel doesn’t help either. Cheaper to refine yet more expensive.🤷‍♂️
Wow I don’t want it in Diesel to pull or tow anything. Want to drive it, put in 4xGOAT and punch it. Let’s get it in diesel and get to slinging mud on the Bronco. It will be a wild ride

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just some facts about diesel and Diesel engines and why they’re regulated and neutered here in the US.

First of all, diesel does contain about 10% more carbon or energy per gallon, so let’s start with that. The extra 30% efficiency or so (really 20% due to the energy density difference between diesel and gasoline) comes primarily from a higher combustion temperature, which produces A LOT more NO as the higher temperature breaks the O2 and N2 bonds more easily to form NO. NO or NOx (NOx is just the sum of NO and NO2), combined with UV light is the catalyst to oxidize VOCs in the lower atmosphere into ozone, which is very damaging to lungs and human health in high concentrations. Much of the US is significantly further south than Europe and we have significantly higher UV radiation making the NO we emit much more efficient at producing ozone. Hot, sunny, and calm days common in the US at our southern latitude are very conducive to high ozone levels (especially areas like LA or Houston where ozone is still a major problem).

Therefore to reduce NO emissions from diesels, the exhaust is treated with ammonia, that scrubs out a decent amount of NO, but not all of it, and the rest of the NO emission reduction is done by limiting power output in diesels. Basically the VW diesel scandal was because those diesels weren’t tuned down (neutered) which is how they were able to produce the power and efficiency they claimed. Those Diesel engines were much better, but at an “environmental” cost. Basically, unlike Europe, US environmental regulations favor greater CO2 emissions over NO emissions.

Another random nerdy fact, NOx levels are naturally much higher during or soon after a thunderstorm with significant lightning because the extremely high heat from lightning also breaks N2 and O2 bonds to form NO.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow I don’t want it in Diesel to pull or tow anything. Want to drive it, put in 4xGOAT and punch it. Let’s get it in diesel and get to slinging mud on the Bronco. It will be a wild ride
Sounds fun. Ain’t gonna happen.
Sponsored