Sponsored

Will brakes from Ranger Police Vehicle fit?

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I gotta drop in some car-guy common sense in here...

1. Big brake kits and upgraded pads WILL NOT make your car stop faster. They WILL help your car slow down many times in a row without overheating and failing. Like when going downhill in the Rockies or on a race track. They will not improve one time stopping distance.

2. If your brakes can lock your tire at speed (any OEM brake can) then upgrading will not shorten your 60-0 distance/time.

3. If you want to STOP in a shorter 60-0 time or distance you MUST upgrade your tires, not your brakes.
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I want to add OEM Ford Police brakes components, with 16" steelies.

Big brake kits are super expensive, and I am an OEM sort of person.
In the US, the Ranger is not part of the Ford Police products, in the US it's the F150, Transit, and Explorer. (+)

I believe the Bronco chassis is a Ranger & possibly the same Ranger thats Global.
I would like to know: Will the Global Ranger Police Brakes parts - fit the Bronco.

And if they do.... How to order.
And if I can not order in the US, is there Interchange information for some of the Global Ranger Police parts.

Thanks!!

http://ford.globalfleetsales.net/special-vehicles/security/ranger-police/

Screenshot 2022-11-07 085945.jpg
That's an interesting idea. Why do you want to swap the brakes? They won't be better

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The problem with the logic above is that in reality you are limited by the tire-road friction rather than the torque that your brakes can deliver (at least on the first few panic stops in a row when thermal mass and heat dissipation can limit smaller brake's output torque).
Good points.
I cant remember ever making more than one panic stops over a couple weeks
Downhill driving returning home from skiing or camping would probably be the main reason to upgrade. Avoid brake fade and possible glazing.

We will never be able to see the data matrix illustrating the relationship between Brake components and the Ranger Police & Military tires. Even if we could, swapping in our personal tire spec. would not be useful.

I think all I can do is go for the upgrade, then hope my tire choice is as good or better than the Ranger OEM Police / Military spec.

My top 2 tire choices are:
235 /85/R16 : 31.9” x 9.3”
1) TOYO: M-55
2) Yokohama: GEOLANDAR® A/T G015

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1. Big brake kits and upgraded pads WILL NOT make your car stop faster. They WILL help your car slow down many times in a row without overheating and failing. Like when going downhill in the Rockies or on a race track. They will not improve one time stopping distance.

2. If your brakes can lock your tire at speed (any OEM brake can) then upgrading will not shorten your 60-0 distance/time.

3. If you want to STOP in a shorter 60-0 time or distance you MUST upgrade your tires, not your brakes.
I understand your logic.

Absolutely will upgrade tires.

Yes, one goal is to reduce the chance of overheating when going down a mountian.
For example, in traffic coming back from skiing, or a camping trip

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's an interesting idea. Why do you want to swap the brakes? They won't be better
Why do they exist? Becasue they will be better, more robust and resistand to overheating, fade, and glazing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem with the logic above is that in reality you are limited by the tire-road friction rather than the torque that your brakes can deliver (at least on the first few panic stops in a row when thermal mass and heat dissipation can limit smaller brake's output torque).
I agree. The pair of variables where I thought tire-road friction might have a higher index here is because these are 6k lb vehicles with a lot of mass over those tires and the rotating mass of these wheel-tire combos are 2x a standard car so that torque will help reduce the larger rotating mass.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup.
If you're using this to avoid deer, you're money is better spent in an investment product generating a return that can be used to pay for damages in the rare likelihood they occur.

Last thought here.
Skip upgrading your rotors/calipers.
Get grippier tires.
Get pads that have a better initial bite to start that deceleration at an earlier time in brake pedal depression.

Last edited:

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yup.
If you're using this to avoid deer, you're money is better spent in an investment product generating a return that can be used to pay for damages in the rare likelihood they occur.

Last thought here.
Get grippier tires.
Get pads that have a better initial bite to start that deceleration at an earlier time in brake pedal depression.
Your last thought is actually a really interesting one; the initial build up of brake torque happens at the highest vehicle speed and thus has an out-sized influence on stopping distance. On vacuum boosted brake systems like the 2.3l has, there is generally a piece of open cell foam around the shaft of the vacuum booster that helps keep it quiet - removing that foam can make a statistically significant stopping distance improvement (and a woosh noise at the same time) by increasing the air flow rate into the vacuum booster and thus increasing the initial brake pressure build rate at the beginning of the stop.

As an addendum, there are some vehicles where the initial brake pressure build rate is intentionally/artificially limited by the ABS module because if allowed to build at it's full build rate it would slam the front suspension into the jounce bumpers hard enough to have the jounce bumpers launch the front of the vehicle back up and lose normal load on the front tires - basically sometimes you can get better overall stopping distances by intentionally slowing the initial brake torque build and then not having the front end of the vehicle bounce/lose grip.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your last thought is actually a really interesting one; the initial build up of brake torque happens at the highest vehicle speed and thus has an out-sized influence on stopping distance. On vacuum boosted brake systems like the 2.3l has, there is generally a piece of open cell foam around the shaft of the vacuum booster that helps keep it quiet - removing that foam can make a statistically significant stopping distance improvement (and a woosh noise at the same time) by increasing the air flow rate into the vacuum booster and thus increasing the initial brake pressure build rate at the beginning of the stop.

As an addendum, there are some vehicles where the initial brake pressure build rate is intentionally/artificially limited by the ABS module because if allowed to build at it's full build rate it would slam the front suspension into the jounce bumpers hard enough to have the jounce bumpers launch the front of the vehicle back up and lose normal load on the front tires - basically sometimes you can get better overall stopping distances by intentionally slowing the initial brake torque build and then not having the front end of the vehicle bounce/lose grip.
Oh man talk dirty to me. Love brake and suspension conversations. lol

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yup.

Last thought here.
Get grippier tires.
well - you are absolutely right .
definately upgrading tires, and hopefully I can get the Police / Military OEM pads.
Doubtfull an OEM caliper upgrade exists, much less a disk upgrade as I can not increase the size.
I researched Police break components for the F150, and it amounted to better pads. so likely the same holds true with the Ranger.
Hopefully I can find out - super difficult to connect with parts people about Ranger Police / Mil spec. components.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Police tires are "Sticky" aka soft. Handling is great but they don't last for shit.

Going down a long grade, you can downshift and let the engine slow you down.

The days of resurfacing rotors is over, if you need pads, it ain't gonna be cheap. plan on putting rotors on as well.

Bigger may let you get more miles out of them, but otherwise, not a huge difference in performance...

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you certain that there is a difference? In most cases the "police brake upgrade" is just pads. Ford isn't going to make a police specific caliper. I would look at options from companies like EBC. They offer several pad compounds and rotor options for cars and trucks. I also like in deer country and brakes are not on my radar as an initial upgrade to avoid strikes. An ARB Summit front bumper is #1. The likelihood of brakes saving you from hitting a deer is very low. By the time you see, your brain acknowledges the threat, and your body reacts, that deer is already hit.

Deleted member 3063

Of all these OEM parts mentioned are any of them actually made by Ford? Severe duty fluids and pads are readily available for these parts probably made by the same OEM builders.
I've lapped my Cobra until my arms were tired and never lost brakes. That is with stock calipers, 100% stainless steel brake lines on Power Slot rotors with the severe these duty goodies.
Brake dust cleanup, well that's another story and all part of the games we play.

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Are you certain that there is a difference? In most cases the "police brake upgrade" is just pads. Ford isn't going to make a police specific caliper. I would look at options from companies like EBC. They offer several pad compounds and rotor options for cars and trucks. I also like in deer country and brakes are not on my radar as an initial upgrade to avoid strikes. An ARB Summit front bumper is #1. The likelihood of brakes saving you from hitting a deer is very low. By the time you see, your brain acknowledges the threat, and your body reacts, that deer is already hit.
yea thinking on this more the brake pads would be better for helping with fade on downhill - like returning from skiing or camping.
Again, I researched the F150 Police and yes, it was pads upgrade only. SO yes probably the same with Ranger.

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Of all these OEM parts mentioned are any of them actually made by Ford? Severe duty fluids and pads are readily available for these parts probably made by the same OEM builders.
I've lapped my Cobra until my arms were tired and never lost brakes. That is with stock calipers, 100% stainless steel brake lines on Power Slot rotors with the severe these duty goodies.
Brake dust cleanup, well that's another story and all part of the games we play.
Is anything "made by Ford"? Absolutely open to buying from a different source if I can get the sepc on the Police / Mil Spec, Ranger pads. I would also try to look at Interchange info...
Sponsored