Sponsored

Will driving our stock Broncos in off road conditions potentially void our warranties from Ford?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think outside of 'abuse' people there is valid concern in the serious off-road nature of some of the trims/options.

How will it be determined what is acceptable usage of the vehicle? If you come in with rock guards and steel plates reasonably worn and an unrelated issue will they look to say offroaded... no dice?
No, of course not.......as it's an "unrelated issue".

Don't over think it...people have been driving off road vehicles off road for a long, long, long time.
Sponsored

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think outside of 'abuse' people there is valid concern in the serious off-road nature of some of the trims/options.

How will it be determined what is acceptable usage of the vehicle? If you come in with rock guards and steel plates reasonably worn and an unrelated issue will they look to say offroaded... no dice?
Good question. I had a Jeep JKU with aftermarket 3.5” lift, wheels and 35” tires but sold it after about 38,000 miles. Person who bought it said they started having issues after 43,000 miles but no problem with the warranty.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, of course not.......as it's an "unrelated issue".

Don't over think it...people have been driving off road vehicles off road for a long, long, long time.
I'm not personally concerned, but I have no doubt some dealer somewhere will try this type of nonsense.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In my experience with raptors and hard use. Most things will often be fixed under warranty even when sending the hell out of it. However some dealers will be asses and not warranty something that should be covered. Really it's all situational. I know some people that hit massive jumps with mostly stock suspension on the regular that have had basically the whole suspension system replaced under warranty. The raptor is an offroad machine that is engineered and tested to be near bullet proof when handled properly so most likely the bronco will go the same way.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As I said in another thread about that Jeep Rubi. Dealers can't fix stupid, and manufacturers do not warranty it either. Driving the Bronco off road will not void the warranty. Doing something like the driver of the Jeep will require the repair to be paid for by the owner.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Warranty does not = Idiot insurance

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Back in my dealership days we had a Discovery II towed in for a transmission fault. When it showed up it had thick caked mud up to the door handles. The chassis was so full of mud it took the wash guy all day to get it clean enough to diagnose. The owner says it just stopped when it was in a little bit of dirt. He ranted for an hour what a POS the truck was. Obviously he got it stuck and ran it from D to R with his foot buried in the go pedal. We were in the process of pulling the transmission when the bank called and asked if we knew where the car was simce the owner never made a single payment in 6 months. We told the repo guy It would be ready in a couple day.

broncoskip

Outer Banks
First Name
Broncoskip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I spent a nice October evening with my 84 Bronco, two S-10s, and a waist-deep pond. At one point, all three trucks were dead. At the end of the night, we had two going and towed one S-10 to the local gas station.

Here is the list from that day:

My Bronco: Would not start after getting shut off, had to bypass the starter solenoid with two screwdrivers. My CD Case was in the very back and got mud-stained.

Lifted S-10: managed to get pond water in the oil. I think maybe a bad seal somewhere? I dunno, never saw that truck again. (He bought a blazer)

Stock S-10: Blown fuses and alternator not charging. Fun part was fixing the alternator by pouring a 20oz bottle of water into it while the driver revved the engine. We bought fuses at the gas station.

Going through muddy ponds is not advisable in any vehicle.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I may have to call BS on their story. A little mud in a dana 44 wont lock it up after only 4500 miles. And not without serious noise for atleast 50 miles and really serious noise for 10 miles, and 1 really loud noise followed by other rapid clanky noises. Ask me how I know. That was after sitting in river silt in 2 ft of water fishing for about an hour or so with torn off breather tubes. That lasted 3 weeks of regular driving. I also killed a battery and relay going through a hills and holes style competition type pit. Just a cj on 33 boggers and 4 inch lift. I stalled coming out of the last hole and rolled back into steering wheel deep mud. Once 2 trucks pulled me out a atv dragged me a couple laps bump starting it. Eventually got it and drove to the parts store. No other repairs needed. The engine was submerged to the valve cover, but not the dipstick or breathers. Good day.

My guess is that these folk were really pounding it through some fields or something but at Raptor desert speeds! That will do it.

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's an example of a 2020 Jeep Gladiator owner driving their stock Gladiator in deep mud which resulted in a multitude of electrical problems, not being able to have it repaired under warranty. Owner even had purchased an extended warranty.
I'm sure we will have at least one situation like this with the Bronco.
Probably not. It depends on what you and FoMoCo can agree on for the definition of "driving" and "off road" and they get to choose everything because you're probably going to unintentionally accept arbitration.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs