Sponsored

Will Ford Release a Power Pack Tune for the 2.3L Bronco? (Still Trying to Justify Going Manual)

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If the 2.3L can be tuned to be equal to the 2.7, then it stands to reason the 2.7 can be tuned to be like a 3.6. Why push an engine that is already providing more power and torque than any previous Gen factory Bronco past it’s limit? Is the drive to have more HP just a status thing? How much is enough? Is there ever enough? I don’t get it. 🤷‍♂️

0500139C-9534-4AE3-BCF3-F4EEEAC63744.jpeg
3.6?????
Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Seriously why do you need any of those things besides a tune? Tunes from 5 Star will net 75+ on all factory components 🤷🏻‍♂️

Water injection 🤣 bigger intercooler 🤣
forced induction means needing to cool the induction charge. the intercooler is usually the first step in making more power. most modern engines have a knock sensor and the first thing an engine does when it senses a knock is pull timing. the cooler the intake charge the more knock resistant. the more knock resistant the charge, the higher compression, advance and power. you can always program to the ragged edge, but that is where failures occur. over building a system provides a higher level of reliability and durability.

i have experience with both turbo and supercharging applications.

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Picked a random engine size, sorry. My point was as you tune the smaller engines to deliver more power to get closer to the performance of the larger stock engines, the larger stock engines will likewise be open to tuning and HP improvement. At what point is enough, enough? The 1996 Bronco ran a 5.0 and delivered a respectable 199 HP. We are already 50% more than that with the (smaller and lighter) two door Bronco with the stock 2.3L turbo. I don’t think Gen 5 owners were left stranded and unable to climb hills with their rigs…. So unless the intent is to run your Gen 6 at NASCAR, why the obsession with pushing HP numbers up, especially if it can shorten the life of the engine.

People can do what they want with their Bronco; I was only saying “I don’t get it.” It ain’t a race car and wasn’t intended to be and all the reviews of the 2.3L Turbo that I have heard, including from Ranger owners, are nothing short of stellar.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
forced induction means needing to cool the induction charge. the intercooler is usually the first step in making more power. most modern engines have a knock sensor and the first thing an engine does when it senses a knock is pull timing. the cooler the intake charge the more knock resistant. the more knock resistant the charge the compression, advance and power. you can always program to the ragged edge, but that is where failures occur. over building a system provides a higher level of reliability and durability.

i have experience with both turbo and supercharging applications.
You drastically underestimate stock systems in the last 10-15 years. Bigger intercooler on a stock turbo generally equals delayed spool and power curves. The gains in lower intake temps aren't always worth it. E-85 is another can of worms ... besides not being able to fill up in the middle of nowhere your mileage takes a dive for the worse. Nothing like a 6 gal gas can in your trunk for those long trips when you are tuned on the e ... been there.

I know how tuning works 🤣 hence why I wouldn't bother with water injection 😂😂😂 or a bigger intercooler. Maybe charge pipes but I don't see the point on a Bronco beyond a tune when you can reliably tune for 75-80whp gains.

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 96 Bronco 5.0 had 199 HP, that‘s mind boggling the bronco sport I currently have is a 1.5L 3 cylinder with about the same hp. It’s adequately quick for daily driving and I’ll tow 1000lbs or more every week with it too.

However, I did come from an 18 Raptor so sure I’ll miss the power in Baja mode or payment driving and maybe it’s just that. Raptor hp was prolly irrelevant in crawling situations for sure but drivetrain made crawling easy though. Having had high hp vehicles takes an adjustment going back to vehicles having lower hp no doubt.

As of now I‘m set on 2dr 2.3 but after I test drive a demo or do the off roadeo then I’ll make final decision which engine to spec before order.

Picked a random engine size, sorry. My point was as you tune the smaller engines to deliver more power to get closer to the performance of the larger stock engines, the larger stock engines will likewise be open to tuning and HP improvement. At what point is enough, enough? The 1996 Bronco ran a 5.0 and delivered a respectable 199 HP. We are already 50% more than that with the (smaller and lighter) two door Bronco with the stock 2.3L turbo. I don’t think Gen 5 owners were left stranded and unable to climb hills with their rigs…. So unless the intent is to run your Gen 6 at NASCAR, why the obsession with pushing HP numbers up, especially if it can shorten the life of the engine.

People can do what they want with their Bronco; I was only saying “I don’t get it.” It ain’t a race car and wasn’t intended to be and all the reviews of the 2.3L Turbo that I have heard, including from Ranger owners, are nothing short of stellar.

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You drastically underestimate stock systems in the last 10-15 years. Bigger intercooler on a stock turbo generally equals delayed spool and power curves. The gains in lower intake temps aren't always worth it. E-85 is another can of worms ... besides not being able to fill up in the middle of nowhere your mileage takes a dive for the worse. Nothing like a 6 gal gas can in your trunk for those long trips when you are tuned on the e ... been there.

I know how tuning works 🤣 hence why I wouldn't bother with water injection 😂😂😂 or a bigger intercooler. Maybe charge pipes but I don't see the point on a Bronco beyond a tune when you can reliably tune for 75-80whp gains.
then go get your tune, and i hope everything works out for you. i will be driving my 2.3 with a m/t in stock configuration. 300 hp is more than any previous bronco had. it is more than my first 2.3l turbo i had in my 1980 mercury capri rs turbo... but i am showing my age again.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm still just shocked when somebody needs more than the 29,372 ft lb tq available with a manual transmission equipped Bronco. Are you going to be modifying the rig to also have about 8 extra drive wheels so that you aren't traction limited?

No tune is going to create the monumental advantage that the crawler gear represents to the Bronco. Always overlooked, that crawler gear.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Some people want more power, I know I do. It will be my wife’s daily and she wants something that checks all the boxes. The weight of the bronco is the problem. Atleast the fat ass Sasquatch. When I first seen the 2.7 I was excited. I’ve seen how well it works in the F-150 and figured it would be perfect for the bronco. It wasn’t until the 0-60s came out and I realized it’s 600lbs more than a full-size pick up. Ideally 400-450whp is perfect. We’ll get it to that once reliable and safe power packs come out.

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The 96 Bronco 5.0 had 199 HP, that‘s mind boggling the bronco sport I currently have is a 1.5L 3 cylinder with about the same hp. It’s adequately quick for daily driving and I’ll tow 1000lbs or more every week with it too.
Right? My wife’a 2005 Lariat has a 5.4 Litre Triton. It offers the same 300hp, but with 350 lb/ft of torque vs the 2.3L Turbos 325 lb/ft…. But at well less than half the curb weight.

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am buying this bronco despite the fact it is ecoboost powered.
I am really worried that the ecoboost will be no fun to drive.
I owned an ecoboost fusion.
I am Old fasion, I like a power train with torque and and Six gears.
Hopefully the Raptor is NA V8.

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

for everyone who really needs more power, jeep has decided to put a 392 v8 in the wrangler... there ya go, more power that you could possibly use.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why does everyone always get talked down to for wanting more power? Seems kinda counter productive for an enthusiast forum.
want to keep your bronco engine stock? That’s great.
I’m going to make some power.
Sponsored