Sponsored

Will Jeep switch to IFS in the Wrangler?

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I somehow found this old thread under the 'Similar threads' and it was quite timely because a friend and I were just talking about this. We absolutely suspect the JM (or whatever it will be called) will go upscale and IFS and Jeep will still produce a 'Wrangler Classic' Rubicon and / or Willys with SFA for a few years after, much like Ram is doing with the 1500 truck currently.
I
I somehow found this old thread under the 'Similar threads' and it was quite timely because a friend and I were just talking about this. We absolutely suspect the JM (or whatever it will be called) will go upscale and IFS and Jeep will still produce a 'Wrangler Classic' Rubicon and / or Willys with SFA for a few years after, much like Ram is doing with the 1500 truck currently.
I would be surprised if they did that . I give FCA or whoever they are called now credit for keeping the Wrangler true to the original CJ just as the CJ true to the original military Jeep . Until the IFS can prove it can outperform the SFA in off-road like rock climbing, it doesn't make sense to remove the SFA and give it IFS . The SFA on the Wrangler today drives decent on the road (unlike previous years) not quite as good as IFS but hey, what's the purpose of a Wrangler anyway.
Sponsored

RumbleOn

Base
First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma; 1986 4Runner; 1930 Model A
Your Bronco Model
Base
I

I would be surprised if they did that . I give FCA or whoever they are called now credit for keeping the Wrangler true to the original CJ just as the CJ true to the original military Jeep . Until the IFS can prove it can outperform the SFA in off-road like rock climbing, it doesn't make sense to remove the SFA and give it IFS . The SFA on the Wrangler today drives decent on the road (unlike previous years) not quite as good as IFS but hey, what's the purpose of a Wrangler anyway.
My opinion, not based in fact or research, is that there is very little downside to going ifs and a lot of upside. The vast majority of Jeep’s sold are on road 100% of the time. Ifs makes a lot of sense for on road driving. For the minority of hardcore, and they will have to be extremely hardcore, there will always be SAS as an option, just as there is for the Bronco already. In a nutshell; lots of upside compared with Bronco on road performance; negligible downside when actual hardcore solid axle fans are factored in. Just my thoughts, not backed up by science or fact.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My opinion, not based in fact or research, is that there is very little downside to going ifs and a lot of upside. The vast majority of Jeep’s sold are on road 100% of the time. Ifs makes a lot of sense for on road driving. For the minority of hardcore, and they will have to be extremely hardcore, there will always be SAS as an option, just as there is for the Bronco already. In a nutshell; lots of upside compared with Bronco on road performance; negligible downside when actual hardcore solid axle fans are factored in. Just my thoughts, not backed up by science or fact.
You bring up good points, no doubt the majority of Wranglers and Broncos will never see a dirt road.

I'm getting a little philosophical but when you build a vehicle for specific or intended purposes, the manufacturers need to choose their compromise's wisely.

In 1978 Ford got stupid and ruined the Bronco , and ruined it even worse in 1980 and all the rest up until they quit making it in 96. That thing just morphed into something else then it's original intentions, all Ford cared about was making it plush and nice on the road to appease the crowd all the while undermining its original intentions. I got way too deep with this. Anyway just my opinion as well.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The newly developed Ineos Grenadier has a sfa. If you watch their development videos of the undercarriage and suspension you will see that they modeled them after the Jeep Wrangler. They even used the Dana axles and mopar steel wheels on their prototypes.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Long Travel IFS especially combined with IFS portals with electric motors on each wheel are coming with the EVs and Hybrids on the wave of the future.

The SFA will continue with the collectors, enthusiasts and purists but it‘s whistling pass the technology graveyard.

Besides the bean counters control the product portfolio and financial bottom line today. The SFA will join the line behind 2 Doors, Manuals, Convertibles on the long march to way back when for most of us.

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They’d lose the jeep loyalists. They like the “bragging rights” of more articulation than the bronco has even if more than half only scale parking barriers at the local Trader Joe’s.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You bring up good points, no doubt the majority of Wranglers and Broncos will never see a dirt road.

I'm getting a little philosophical but when you build a vehicle for specific or intended purposes, the manufacturers need to choose their compromise's wisely.

In 1978 Ford got stupid and ruined the Bronco , and ruined it even worse in 1980 and all the rest up until they quit making it in 96. That thing just morphed into something else then it's original intentions, all Ford cared about was making it plush and nice on the road to appease the crowd all the while undermining its original intentions. I got way too deep with this. Anyway just my opinion as well.
Ford Bronco Will Jeep switch to IFS in the Wrangler? 1635646110171

although it lost its nimble character I think it really made a huge impact what they did evolving the bronco those years. There’s a lot of us here that although we love the new bronco kind of wished it was similar in style and size of the last few gens 🤷🏻‍♂️

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Will Jeep switch to IFS in the Wrangler? 1635646110171

although it lost its nimble character I think it really made a huge impact what they did evolving the bronco those years. There’s a lot of us here that although we love the new bronco kind of wished it was similar in style and size of the last few gens 🤷🏻‍♂️
Lots of SUVs in that segment you mentioned . If Ford makes the same mistake as they did in the past with the Bronco , morph it and put it on steroids, it will meet the same fate again . That's why the Jeep Wrangler / CJ stood around all these years they didn't make that mistake . Just my opinion man👍😁

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d estimate that 65% of Jeep drivers don’t know it has a solid front axle. They’ve accepted they ride like bricks on wheels. Not sure it’s worth switching.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Yukon Denali
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a thought :

If IFS proves to give the Bronco a much more enjoyable driving experience over a Wrangler do you think in time Jeep will end its stubborn love affair with the solid front axle in the Wrangler? If so how soon would they do it?
I can't imagine that would cross their minds unless they made it an option for the Sahara or other models. I personally think that the sold front axle is Jeep's bread & butter. As far as I am concerned, yes Bronco has nicer interior, but with the refresh, I personally think it is a battle of IFS vs SFA.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The trouble there is, with such a major change, the Rubicon becomes essentially its own vehicle. With less parts sharing, and no shared EPA / crash testing, I don't know that Rubicon only sales numbers would justify the financials of continuing inovations on the solid axle Jeep. That's why I think the Rubicon could only continue on its own as a legacy model, without major redesigns, if the other trims went IFS.
If everything is really going EV, then I don't see the big deal of making solid axles with a motor built in already, possibly even dual motors in one solid axle, so you don't need diff's or lockers anymore. Already in the works.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/techno...ctric-powertrain-conversion-for-pickup-trucks

Would be great for a hybrid setup that would not compromise offroad range, with a small motor/onboard gen and just enough batt for 80-100 mile EV range.
Sponsored