Sponsored

Will Jeep switch to IFS in the Wrangler?

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Jeep people would lose their sh*t! šŸ˜‚

However, Mustang went IRS and that turned out fine.
Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t see any reason why they would stop, itā€™s the main draw to the Wrangler. People buy it specifically because it has the solid front.
Really? I would guess that only an extremely small number of off road enthusiasts buy it for that reason and that most people buy it because the top comes off and itā€™s a Jeep.

I would guess that if you surveyed Jeep owners only about 10% know what a solid front axle is or that they have one.

The same logic will apply to Bronco. The overwhelming majority of customers will never off road it or care what suspension it has.

However, if the ride quality is noticeably better to the average consumer thatā€™s a huge win for Ford.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They do not abandon SFA. Never. Not ever. SFA is their thing.

But I could certainly see them making it an option for their mall crawlers.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have mentioned it before in another thread, but a good family friend of mine is an FCA engineer and he all but guarantees that the Wrangler will eventually become IFS. He didn't say when, but he was adamant it was going to happen. He also said the JL was closer to becoming IFS than we all think.

If the Bronco is as successful as we all think it is going to be, it might force Jeep to make the change for the next version of the Wrangler. Honestly though, things could change and Jeep could dig their heels in harder as a result of the Bronco and stick with SFA, but it's not the current plan.
To add to my previous post, Jeep is also planning to cut back the two door Wrangler tremendously. Same source says they will never get rid of it, but it will slowly eliminate more of the trim levels. For example, the two door Sahara already went away with the JL.

But again, if Bronco somehow spikes two door sales for the Wrangler that could change. I, personally, would expect Ford to follow Jeep on this one and eliminate Outer Banks from two door's before Jeep brought the Sahara back.

Sponsored

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

not a jeep guy, not even an off road guy yet...but outside looking in Jeep hasn't had much competition to be innovative
that has drastically changed

Reactions: abe

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
For all the guys who keep saying that Jeep will never go IFS because it's what Jeeps are, well that doesn't really matter to the bottom line.

I'd be curious to see how many Wranglers are bought every year by the diehard crawlers/off roaders. My guess is that is a mere fraction of total sales. The majority probably go to people who 1. Want to take the top off 2. Can easily mod to make it different. And if people start driving the Bronco and move to the Bronco for it's IFS, Jeep will certainly follow suit.

Who does Jeep want to sell to? 5k diehards that want SFA? or the other 195k people who don't care about SFA? and want a smoother ride.
Independent Front suspension has been common place on the market for 40 years on SUVs. Why do you think this is suddenly a big deal to consumers?

The market for IFS SUVs has come and gone to the point there was only one (non-Lux) IFS Midsize competitor to the Wrangler.

Not to mention the Wrangler outsells the 4Runner by about double.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Really? I would guess that only an extremely small number of off road enthusiasts buy it for that reason and that most people buy it because the top comes off and itā€™s a Jeep.

I would guess that if you surveyed Jeep owners only about 10% know what a solid front axle is or that they have one.

The same logic will apply to Bronco. The overwhelming majority of customers will never off road it or care what suspension it has.

However, if the ride quality is noticeably better to the average consumer thatā€™s a huge win for Ford.
Market for non SFA open top vehicles has came and went multiple times with no skin off Jeepā€™s back. What matters is that consumers buy the vehicles, and the Wrangler outsells itā€™s only current competitor, the 4Runner, by a large margin.

I see no reason that Jeep will change their cash cow to satisfy the few SJWs getting their panties in a knot about how hard their feelings were hurt by a slightly harsher ride. Anyone that was too soft to stand the Wranglers ride quality could have bought the Nissan Murano convertible or the similar Range Rover minivan convertible thing.

I donā€™t even like Wranglers, the axles they use are much too small and their insistence on using a tiny V6 has kept me off their dealer lots.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Just a thought :

If IFS proves to give the Bronco a much more enjoyable driving experience over a Wrangler do you think in time Jeep will end its stubborn love affair with the solid front axle in the Wrangler? If so how soon would they do it?
no

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
not a jeep guy, not even an off road guy yet...but outside looking in Jeep hasn't had much competition to be innovative
that has drastically changed
Most of Jeeps models are independent suspension front and rear so I would think that their suspension systems are just as innovative as Fords. The Wranglers are intentionally designed and built with solid axles to serve a specific purpose which has nothing to do with being innovative.

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's possible, much like the long debate of the mustang switching to an independent suspension, that finally happened. I can't see Jeep calling it a wrangler still though, I imagine their purists followers would be offended. I could see Jeep doing this but bringing back a name like the scrambler or comanche or something.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Considering the Land Rover Defender also switched to IFS after a 33 years of SFA I'm thinking jeep will eventually follow suit.
The Defender is a minivan now, itā€™s not a valid comparison to compare an off-road vehicle to a city car.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Defender is a minivan now, itā€™s not a valid comparison to compare an off-road vehicle to a city car.
The newly designed real Defender replacement, the Grenadier, basically has the Wranglers axles and suspension design. If you watch their videos on the development of it, many of the early prototypes appear to be Jeep Wrangler platforms. They didn't even bother to hide the JK moab wheels.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Market for non SFA open top vehicles has came and went multiple times with no skin off Jeepā€™s back. What matters is that consumers buy the vehicles, and the Wrangler outsells itā€™s only current competitor, the 4Runner, by a large margin.

I see no reason that Jeep will change their cash cow to satisfy the few SJWs getting their panties in a knot about how hard their feelings were hurt by a slightly harsher ride. Anyone that was too soft to stand the Wranglers ride quality could have bought the Nissan Murano convertible or the similar Range Rover minivan convertible thing.

I donā€™t even like Wranglers, the axles they use are much too small and their insistence on using a tiny V6 has kept me off their dealer lots.
Lol @ SJWs. I agree that they wonā€™t change it unless their sales start to tank which is unlikely. My point is just that their open air experience is what keeps them safe from competition, not their solid front axle. Bronco is their first real competition.
Sponsored