Sponsored

Will manual Bronco have auto start stop?

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They use higher Ah AGM batteries for auto start stop vehicles to get an equivalent lifecycle. Upside is, if you use auto start stop judiciously (or disable it entirely) the battery lasts for freaking ever!

Downside is it's more expensive when you finally do have to replace it. Totally worth it for me but YMMV.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Curious if any of the new manual cars Ford makes comes with auto start/stop. I would guess no since you have to disengage clutch and gas when starting and may throw off the computers but want to see what you all think? Couldn’t find out if the new stangs have it or not in manual. I really really hope the Manual Bronco does NOT come with it!
I actually want it, and I don't know why it wouldn't. Many manual cars have this. Arguably like it better on MT cars than I do on AT models.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've posted this before in one of the 18 other threads about this but I'll do it again...Auto start stop in Fords manuals is a complete non-issue. If you're the kind of person who (bizarrely) stays in 1st with the clutch mashed at lights the vehicle will stay running. It only shuts off in neutral with clutch out. It restarts the moment you press the clutch. You physically cannot get the clutch all the way down and the vehicle in gear faster than it will restart, its instant.
This might be a dumb question. Sometimes when I'm going fast and I need to slow down to a lower speed limit, I pop the clutch into neutral and coast. Would the engine cut off then?

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This might be a dumb question. Sometimes when I'm going fast and I need to slow down to a lower speed limit, I pop the clutch into neutral and coast. Would the engine cut off then?
No, it won't kick in until you've come to a stop.

Sponsored

PaulW

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 EB, 06 Wrangler LJ, 18F150HD, 17 Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Chance are that the Bronco will come with the battery killer stop/start feature. That is what Ford does these days.
Ford is sensitive about weight and their batteries are not big and robust. Driving around town in an F150 you find after a bunch of stop signs the stop/start feature gets disabled due to a low voltage on the battery.
Besides stop/start the Bronco will probably come with BMS which exacerbates the problem of inadequate battery. BMS = Battery Management System. Another dumb Ford idea. Ever been stranded with a no start due to dead battery? Lots of battery problem out there for Fords. What we do is defeat the stop/start and be extremely careful when adding aftermarket electrical stuff so as to not compromise the BMS. Some guys successfully remove the BMS and are happy. Ford does not like that
And when stuck in traffic on a 100 degree day when the motor is off = no AC. Then the truck wont start and you need a jump. Nice Ford feature.

Lurking4luv

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw gti, Nissan frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks, noted.

If the manual has this and it cant be defeated easily, its going to be really, really hard for me to buy this vehicle. Call me crazy, but I don't want my vehicle to cut off unless I turn it off on purpose.

When I am approaching a stoplight, I go to neutral and just slow to a stop. I don't know why you would keep it in gear with foot on the clutch, that's just unnecessary wear on the clutch. When the lights turns green, I put it in gear and go.
this is the way to drive a manual. well said sir! you are correct.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Every recent/current manual transmission vehicle with stop/start works the same way:
-If clutch is engaged, engine continues to idle
-If in neutral AND clutch disengaged AND engine oil is warm AND HVAC/accessory load is low, the engine will shut off
-Engaging the clutch will restart the engine

Unlike the implementation in vehicles with an AT, you have 100% control in a MT vehicle with stop/start. Don't want the engine to cut off at a stoplight? Just leave the clutch engaged. Want to restart the engine in anticipation of accelerating? Just disengage the clutch or put it in gear.

My MT BMW showed real-time fuel economy, and start/stop makes a noticeable impact. I've seen my average MPG drop by 1mpg or more over 20+ miles just by idling at a stop light.
And it will all be made up when you pay the exorbanent BMW prices for your new starter when it conks out years before it would without it.

fly-cobra32

Wildtrak
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Acura
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a 5 year old jeep. Been using a fob that you put in the service connection. Been using it for 4 years now, keeps that feature disabled when you start the engine. You don't have to disable it every time you start up the vehicle. If removed it goes back to normal. I remove the fob when i get my jeep serviced so that it doesn't void the warranty. I've tried out the trailer tester but it didn't work in my case. There is no name on the Fob and it was so long ago so i don't remember or I'd tell you what it was. Sorry. I googled and found it. Paid about 100$ and was the best thing i bought. Worth ot in weight in gold. I was ready to drive it off a cliff i hated it so much. Purposely the manufacturers put it on all vehicles and don't allow one to disable it permanently because the get a kick back from the government......lowers emotions.....Ah few y! ?

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And it will all be made up when you pay the exorbanent BMW prices for your new starter when it conks out years before it would without it.
No one in their right mind owns a BMW out of warranty; I leased mine for less than a Honda Accord then gave it back to the dealer for them to sell CPO. It's not like modern DI engines like to idle, either; that's when all the crap gets deposited on the valves (for the 2.3L, at least). Walnut blasting or a new starter every 60k; pick your poison.

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

No, we all hate the environment. Why else would we want big tires to grind up bunny meat with?
This is the Bronco forum and not the Prius forum correct? Just say’n

CruzinQueen

Base
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the Range devices that plug into the OBD port in my current 2019 GMC Terrain and hubby's 2016 Silverado. Works fantastic and if you go in for service just unplug it. I assume one will be available for the Bronco. I'm going manual and certainly do not want my truck shutting down at a light.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is the Bronco forum and not the Prius forum correct? Just say’n
actually prius's and literally every other hybrid/electric car does way more damage than a bronco, a truck or any other car for that matter
Sponsored