Sponsored

Will MGV interior withstand pouring rain and wet outsides overnight?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Marine
Grade
Vinyl

What happens to boat seats under the same circumstances?

Would you never cover a $60000 boat?

I've fished through a week's worth of rain, but I air dry the boat in the garage for however long before it gets covered back up.

My concern would be the seats soaking your ass for the next week if the stitching let's anything through.
If any of the testers know, none are talking.
Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just treat the interior like you would a nice boat and you should be fine. My dad’s new boat has a 12” touch screen that does fine in light rain, and the occasional downpour, but it doesn’t sit in that overnight or often.

I also recommend using a good (gentle) vinyl cleaner and conditioner to help with UV protection. Check out “Boat Bling.” I’ve posted about it a couple times on Bronco6g and the stuff does wonders for my buddy’s bass boat and my dad’s boat. Each boat is well loved and sees a ton of use, but still look brand new.

Last edited:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just treat the interior like you woul a nice boat and you should be fine. My dad’s new boat has a 12” touch screen that does fine in light rain, and the occasional downpour, but it doesn’t sit in that overnight or often.

I also recommend using a good (gentle) vinyl cleaner and conditioner to help with UV protection. Check out “Boat Bling.” I’ve posted about it a couple times on Bronco6g and the stuff does wonders for my buddy’s bass boat and my dad’s boat. Each boat is well loved and sees a ton of use, but still look brand new.
Vinyl cleaner and definitely conditioner is a must. My dad's boat sits out on the dock most of the summer in Alabama heat, so the seats and pretty much all surfaces get conditioned monthly at least during summer even though most of it technically is covered.

I do plan to use the same philosophy for the MGV seats in my Bronco and will look more into the dash. Plan to use some 303 protectant on the other interior bits.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My first reaction, ummm.....no. If it was water resistant to any sort of industry standard, I would expect it be specified. I wont panic if I get caught topless in the rain, but no way would I leave it open to the elements over time. My boat is built to marine standards and I don't leave it open to the elements any longe than necessary either. It is not designed to be submerged. My motorcycles is the same, I don't worry about riding in the rain/mud/sand, but I don't leave it out or wet or soaked any longer than necessary. Copper wires, circuit boards nooks and crannies all wick moisture and start to corrode, mold and deteriorate. The longer time and more intense the exposure, the more potential for damage. It also rarely shows up day 1. It's a year or two later when the corrosion slowly hits a solder joint on a board or causes an intermittent bad connection on a plug. Even a slight change in resistance can trigger codes and warning lights as well.

Note- Motorcycles do not have anywhere near the complexity of a car. They do specify certain water resistance to the electronics and gauges and you pay for that capability.

Last edited:

AU98

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One nick in a rubber switch can lead to water intrusion. Anything that is "waterproof", given enough time, water will find a way to get inside.

Sponsored

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wouldn't trust that the all the electronics are waterproof unless it is covered under the warranty. Other than that what has been specified water proof or water resistant probably will be ok to some amount of exposure.

I am thinking the marine grade vinyl and wash out floor are so you can wet the seats & clean any muck you drag in and flush it out. Not so you can leave it out in a down pour without worry. Dash muck will need care and not just a hosing down probably.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

EVERYTHING deteriorates over time. It’s a matter of how long are you willing to keep it outside drowning? If it’s a big concern, put the top back on or they have cab covers in the accessory list...

OP
OP
gwp

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this group think that my MGV interior will withstand pouring rain and wet outsides overnight?

A) I am nuts for wanting to drown my Bronco and need to check my ambitions. B) I should go for it, and hope the warranty will cover a shorted out dash. Or C) I should hedge my bets with a Bimini and find cover in a deluge.
Appreciate the feedback. Looks like “C” is the answer.... meaning I may take off for a week or two with just the Bimini to use if it pours.

Unlike most boats it will live in a warm dry garage. Unlike my bike, I’ll put the Bimini on overnight and/or in a downpour.

I am not gonna worry about the odd rain shower or splash in if I drive in a downpour with the Bimini.

As for the carpet on the setback....not gonna care. Carpet dries...eventually.

Now I just need to find a secure lockable weatherproof box for a “trunk”, one that gets secured to the Bronc so it doesn’t walk away.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm thinking it's not a HMMWV with a sealed electrical system. Just sayin'.

OP
OP
gwp

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Note- Motorcycles do not have anywhere near the complexity of a car. They do specify certain water resistance to the electronics and gauges and you pay for that capability.
Generally agree, but you might be surprised at the tech and screens on some bikes these days. There’s of course much “less”, but of roughly equal sophistication. Large NAV touch screens. Many switches. Computerization. High end audio from wet speakers facing up to the elements and a large amp hanging out under the tour pack in the breeze. Rather amazing, imho. It gets drenched everywhere, even inside and under the dash/fairing. My bike tech is not unlike my ‘20 BMW in many ways.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate the feedback. Looks like “C” is the answer.... meaning I may take off for a week or two with just the Bimini to use if it pours.

Unlike most boats it will live in a warm dry garage. Unlike my bike, I’ll put the Bimini on overnight and/or in a downpour.

I am not gonna worry about the odd rain shower or splash in if I drive in a downpour with the Bimini.

As for the carpet on the setback....not gonna care. Carpet dries...eventually.

Now I just need to find a secure lockable weatherproof box for a “trunk”, one that gets secured to the Bronc so it doesn’t walk away.
You'd be surprised how dry a bimini will keep you if you can keep moving!
It's all I have on my 69 in the summer!

At stop lights, a wind may ..... uhhh...push it in from the rear...
From the sides, if you kept the doors on, roll the widows up and you'll be ok for a bit.

On trail trips, they make trail covers to go over the passenger area overnight, etc.
There will be options.

Also, the elctronics ... I had thought Ford said they'd be low pressure wash down proof. In otherwords, go easy on it and it should hold up just fine.
Until we all have owners manuals, we're all guessing.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Didn't read the whole thread but isn't there a factory option cover? Not an entire cover more like a half deal to throw over the interior in cases just like this? I've seen them on other cars looks like 60 seconds of effort to avoid any concern or headache.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So what is different between riding in the rain in a open car/truck vs. a motorcycle is the backdraft of the vacuum effect as the air travels around the vehicle. It will suck air and water right up to the windshield and you'll need inside windshield wipers. The rear view mirror will get soaked and you'll not see shit out of it. The electronics in the dash will eventually get soaked.

OP
OP
gwp

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You'd be surprised how dry a bimini will keep you if you can keep moving!
It's all I have on my 69 in the summer!

At stop lights, a wind may ..... uhhh...push it in from the rear...
From the sides, if you kept the doors on, roll the widows up and you'll be ok for a bit.

On trail trips, they make trail covers to go over the passenger area overnight, etc.
There will be options.

Also, the elctronics ... I had thought Ford said they'd be low pressure wash down proof. In otherwords, go easy on it and it should hold up just fine.
Until we all have owners manuals, we're all guessing.
Thanks. Not bringing the doors with me though. I would love to see if there’s a rain cover for times when it’s parked. Those old MGBs and TR6s made good use of tonneau covers back in the day.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Generally agree, but you might be surprised at the tech and screens on some bikes these days. There’s of course much “less”, but of roughly equal sophistication. Large NAV touch screens. Many switches. Computerization. High end audio from wet speakers facing up to the elements and a large amp hanging out under the tour pack in the breeze. Rather amazing, imho. It gets drenched everywhere, even inside and under the dash/fairing. My bike tech is not unlike my ‘20 BMW in many ways.
They can also coat the electronics, another example of better resists moisture, but not waterproof :) I am willing to bet the Bronco electronics are not treated the way marine radios/stereos are. I am just guessing, but that guess is motorcycle gear uses both waterproofing and water resistance depending on the application. Remember, they only really care it makes it through the warrant period :)
Sponsored

Reactions: gwp