Sponsored

Will MGV interior withstand pouring rain and wet outsides overnight?

OP
OP
gwp

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what is different between riding in the rain in a open car/truck vs. a motorcycle is the backdraft of the vacuum effect as the air travels around the vehicle. It will suck air and water right up to the windshield and you'll need inside windshield wipers. The rear view mirror will get soaked and you'll not see shit out of it. The electronics in the dash will eventually get soaked.
Hmm. Didn’t think of that. Can you mount inside wipers on the Nav screen and inside the windshield. Maybe on the accessory rail!!! :)
Sponsored

crooks99

Badlands
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford has definitely said that the window, mirror, and hero switches are waterproof. The MGV seats are manual, so that isn't an issue for those controls.
Can't remember what/if they've said anything about the dash, but those look like standard Ford HVAC control modules... They might just be counting on the dash "lip" over hanging it to protect that stuff.

The sun will be harder on the MGV than water. The UV is what breaks down the stitching and such.
I'm honestly most concerned about the UV As well. I spend the summers in Telluride and the UV up there is wild. Between the seats being MGV and only offered in black I think the only option is to cover them up for the summers so they don't get wrecked by the sun.

Sponsored

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve ordered a Badlands, 2d, 7m, high. I plan to drive it in the rain with the top off. Not that rain is desirable, but I’d like to travel without the top. And motorcycling has shown me that I don’t melt.

Does this group think that my MGV interior will withstand pouring rain and wet outsides overnight? I understand that at least some switches will have gaskets to help with moisture but it’s a tall ask and Ford does not have a ton of build experience in this area.

I currently have a high-end Harley that lives pretty well in the rain when needed. It does have a big touch screen with all sorts of switches, dash gauges, speakers, heated seat/bars, amplifiers, etc all out in the wet and fully exposed. I’m jut not sure Ford has designed for the same level of exposure.

So, what d’ya think? A) I am nuts for wanting to drown my Bronco and need to check my ambitions. B) I should go for it, and hope the warranty will cover a shorted out dash. Or C) I should hedge my bets with a Bimini and find cover in a deluge.
B&C

Keep in mind that the backs of the seats are not MGV. The MGV will probably hold up great, but like anything else, time will take its toll. So a Bimini will extend its life past warranty and also preserve the color from fading some. If you dont mind a Bimini then throw it on during those high rain months.

As for the switches, that will probably depend on how much you press and use them and the wear from you/sun/rain over time. They won't be water "resistant" forever. So.... wear them out before warrant (if they're even covered) or try to preserve them for 5-7 years by keeping them slightly dryer than soaked... choice is yours

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty sure Ford has said already everything on the dash was designed to withstand water but I can’t find it. Either way, I doubt it will blow up if it gets some water on it but I wouldn’t submerge it in water.
I saw/heard the same in one of the videos posted a month or two ago. Might've been the flannel guy or the Esteban guy.

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The electronics/buttons are water resistant not waterproof. Occasions driving in the rain I think it's fine. The windshield and aerodynamic will prevent excessive water getting into the cabinet when you drive fast enough.

But leaving it stand still exposing to the weather is not ideal...

bsb78

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really, really doubt the entire interior will be waterproof. SOME things are, but my guess is the main screen, climate/radio buttons, and center console aren’t. They may be water resistant for those few times you’re caught topless, but don’t count on the entire thing being waterproof.

When Ford releases the warranty information you’ll have your answer. My guess is the lawyers will say that it is not waterproof and any water damage is something Ford isn’t liable for.

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Water is not the only thing MGV will help with. My daughter put 2 bushels of hay in the back of my carpeted van 2 years ago and there's still hay everywhere! A leaf blower on MGV should get rid of it all in seconds.

Sponsored

ipongtreat

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4-Door Bronco Badlands Sasquatch LUX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve ordered a Badlands, 2d, 7m, high. I plan to drive it in the rain with the top off. Not that rain is desirable, but I’d like to travel without the top. And motorcycling has shown me that I don’t melt.

Does this group think that my MGV interior will withstand pouring rain and wet outsides overnight? I understand that at least some switches will have gaskets to help with moisture but it’s a tall ask and Ford does not have a ton of build experience in this area.

I currently have a high-end Harley that lives pretty well in the rain when needed. It does have a big touch screen with all sorts of switches, dash gauges, speakers, heated seat/bars, amplifiers, etc all out in the wet and fully exposed. I’m jut not sure Ford has designed for the same level of exposure.

So, what d’ya think? A) I am nuts for wanting to drown my Bronco and need to check my ambitions. B) I should go for it, and hope the warranty will cover a shorted out dash. Or C) I should hedge my bets with a Bimini and find cover in a deluge.
I'm with you. 1988 FLHTC and water's never been a problem, can't imagine over 30 years later a greenfield engineered project from Ford designed for open air is going to be less resilient to water than my bagger.

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, so I'm building a Badlands, the MGV is the one item that is a huge upgrade in my opinion over the JK. My JK I just run Quadratec rubber mats over the cab/cargo area. I don't leave it in the rain intentionally (it's in the garage when not driven, and I work from home). I run a hard top in the winter, topless with the bikini top ready for summer.

So.......it's been rained in when I forgot the bikini top, etc. and no issues with the electronics. This is a very simple radio, no bluetooth, etc. (Stock '07 JKU). My concern is the screen for both the radio and dashboard in the Bronco. Has there been any reference to how well these are covered with respect to humidity/moisture buildup, that's my bigger concern.

I agree with others here, I expect it to be fine if left in a rainstorm occasionally, but habitually left outside with dew, sun, rain, etc. especially in the south..........not so much.

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
if nothing else, seems like the seats would pool with water, no clear path for the water to escape.

I wouldnt want to get it wet over and over personally. I think it would inevitably develop some mildew in creases that stay wet.
Sponsored