David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does anyone happen to know if we'll see a higher tow capacity for my22?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No one knows but I it is highly unlikely to change. If it does it won’t change by more 500lbs.

I wouldn’t expect it to substantially change until the 7th generation Bronco (assuming we get a 7th gen).

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone happen to know if we'll see a higher tow capacity for my22?
Only way it will change is if Ford offers a tow package which would include heavier suspension components. The problem with that is, it will make your off road ride harsh...

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nope. It’s an off road rig….

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

sure, look at how much the Wrangler tow rating has gone up over the years.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it goes up, it will simply be because Ford put in the effort to qualify the tow rating sepparately on each package. And then it wouldn't go up by more than 500 lbs on a few trims.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If it goes up, it will simply be because Ford put in the effort to qualify the tow rating sepparately on each package. And then it wouldn't go up by more than 500 lbs on a few trims.
You nailed it. A look at the different GCWRs is all you need to know this is all that would realistically happen in the second MY. Ford's document on this matter is attached for those who haven't see it yet.

Now on the flip side, the difference between 4000lbs and 3500lbs towing, and perhaps more importantly 400lbs vs. 350lbs tongue weight, is amazingly significant if you're looking at small hard-sided trailers.

GVWR Details (with Wildtrack).jpg

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Only way it will change is if Ford offers a tow package which would include heavier suspension components. The problem with that is, it will make your off road ride harsh...
Have a look at the listed GCWRs and you'll see that the lower trims already have far higher GCWR than needed for 3500lbs. By the SAE J2807 calculations some of them could support tow caps a little over 4000lbs, although it's unknown if Ford tried testing with heavier trailers that made use of those GCWRs or not. If they didn't then why are the numbers so high? Unfortunately they haven't been telling us what they did and did not test so no one knows at this point.

Now keep in mind those lower trims already have the base suspension which is not super soft anyways. The Badlands and Wildtrak are pretty tight to 3500lbs and don't support any higher towing.

To your.point about heavier suspension components for more towing and having a harsher off-road ride - depending on how much more towing that gets us and just how much harsher (or rather less smooth) the ride is that may be acceptable to many buyers. If it's a separate max tow option then it wouldn't affect the buyers who still wanted the smoothest possible ride and didn't need more towing. As above though, we have no information on what that trade-off may look like or if Ford has put any thought into it.
Sponsored