Sponsored

Will the 2-door have optional roof rails? Can I add cross bars?

CDN Jen

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in love with the new 2-door Bronco. Ideally I'd like to take it on ski trips and other weekend getaways up north that may require a lot of gear. I'd also like to haul a pair of 10 ft kayaks, if possible.

Given that there isn't much cargo room in the 2-door, will there be roof rails available for attaching cross bars for cargo boxes, kayak racks, etc.? I assume I'd have to remove them every time I remove the hard top, correct? Or would I just remove the front roof panels?

Just trying to get a feel for how much use I'd get out of the 2-door versus the 4-door. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

BoatBuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm in love with the new 2-door Bronco. Ideally I'd like to take it on ski trips and other weekend getaways up north that may require a lot of gear. I'd also like to haul a pair of 10 ft kayaks, if possible.

Given that there isn't much cargo room in the 2-door, will there be roof rails available for attaching cross bars for cargo boxes, kayak racks, etc.? I assume I'd have to remove them every time I remove the hard top, correct? Or would I just remove the front roof panels?

Just trying to get a feel for how much use I'd get out of the 2-door versus the 4-door. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, the roof rails will be available for the 2-door! I agree with @CDN Jen ... I would love to put our snowboards and kayaks on a 2-door Bronco's roof rack.

Ford Bronco Will the 2-door have optional roof rails? Can I add cross bars? 2-dr with Roof Rack 2
Ford Bronco Will the 2-door have optional roof rails? Can I add cross bars? 2-dr with Roof Rack

Sponsored

BoatBuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The tray looks great on the 2-door rails too.

Ford Bronco Will the 2-door have optional roof rails? Can I add cross bars? 2-dr with Roof Rack 3
Yeah those Yakima platforms look badass. Seems much more useable than the Rhino Rack version because it has cross rails instead of lengthwise ones.
I never gave this any thought. Why does the orientation of the slats make a difference in functionality?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never gave this any thought. Why does the orientation of the slats make a difference in functionality?
The typical accessory mounts (carriers for skis, kayaks, fishing rods, etc.) are designed to go on regular cross rails. Even rooftop tents. On Jeep forums you'll see people with tents and the like wishing they had gone with cross rails instead of the Rhino platform because things are easier to mount. And the Yakima platform is essentially a bunch of cross rails.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do we have a capacity rating yet for the roof rails? Most of the roof top tents I'm looking at are roughly 150lbs on their own. On the Jeeps I've seen several aftermarket options that tie into the sport bar to bump the capacity up to 300 dynamic and 900ish static. Others are interior steel endoskeletons that reinforce the fiberglass shell. Realistically that's where you need to be, weight ratings wise, by the time you get the tent on, yourself, a companion and some gear.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do we have a capacity rating yet for the roof rails? Most of the roof top tents I'm looking at are roughly 150lbs on their own. On the Jeeps I've seen several aftermarket options that tie into the sport bar to bump the capacity up to 300 dynamic and 900ish static. Others are interior steel endoskeletons that reinforce the fiberglass shell. Realistically that's where you need to be, weight ratings wise, by the time you get the tent on, yourself, a companion and some gear.
I think it's 150/450 static. That's just from memory though, so I could be slightly off.

edit: it's 110/450 (thanks, @BoatBuilder88)

I guarantee Rhino will make a Backbone for the Bronco, but it could take a couple of years.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BoatBuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think it's 150/450 static. That's just from memory though, so I could be slightly off.
110 lbs dynamic / 450 lbs static

Ford Bronco Will the 2-door have optional roof rails? Can I add cross bars? 1594686359890

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmm... hopefully nearly a year til they start landing will give the aftermarket plenty of time to have a solution. I'm not a fan of the exoskeleton racks personally. Mounting a RTT and heading off would be the first thing I'd do once I take delivery.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

110 lbs dynamic / 450 lbs static

Ford Bronco Will the 2-door have optional roof rails? Can I add cross bars? 1594686359890
Weird on the 4-door with Sasquatch. Are the tires in the Sasquatch only load C rated? Just another reason to pull the Goodyears and have a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers ready to go on.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weird on the 4-door with Sasquatch. Are the tires in the Sasquatch only load C rated? Just another reason to pull the Goodyears and have a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers ready to go on.
That wording is weird. Makes it seem like the roof rails won't be available with a squatch? I hope your interpretation is correct.
Sponsored