Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello all,

Ultimately I’ll make the final decision, but I wondered what some more experienced off-roaders might think about this.

I like the idea of a base...base...BASE Bronco....maybe with the floor mats but that’s it. I want the 2.3, M/T, 2 door, I want the 30 inch tires, I want the postal service truck look, you know what I mean. To me, a truly base bronco just strikes me as the cool “honest” little truck / suv. It’s the most genuine to me.

With that being said, I want to know from more experienced off-roaders than I, how would a rig like that do off road? I have no interest in rock crawling, mudding or overloading. I’d like to take some forest service roads, drive in snow once in a while and kind of generally explore Arizona where I live.

I think the most I’d modify is a different set of tires in the same exact size (BFG KO2’s or something of the like). Otherwise, I wouldn’t add a locking diff or anything else later. Just keep it BASE. What do you think, can’t merge onto the freeway and will implode as soon as it touches dirt? Or reasonable off road exploration rig?
Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’d like to take some forest service roads, drive in snow once in a while and kind of generally explore Arizona where I live.
I currently do all this in a 2wd Ranger with crappy 29" ATs. You'll be fine in the Bronco.

You'll be pleased with the K02 for freeway and dirt.

You're on the right path. Buy that Base and get exploring. You shouldn't run into much trouble with a 4x4. You can always upgrade if you find something you need.

Many would be fine with the Base. Including me. I just want more than the Base. I certainly don't need more.

Base on, man.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Hello all,

Ultimately I’ll make the final decision, but I wondered what some more experienced off-roaders might think about this.

I like the idea of a base...base...BASE Bronco....maybe with the floor mats but that’s it. I want the 2.3, M/T, 2 door, I want the 30 inch tires, I want the postal service truck look, you know what I mean. To me, a truly base bronco just strikes me as the cool “honest” little truck / suv. It’s the most genuine to me.

With that being said, I want to know from more experienced off-roaders than I, how would a rig like that do off road? I have no interest in rock crawling, mudding or overloading. I’d like to take some forest service roads, drive in snow once in a while and kind of generally explore Arizona where I live.

I think the most I’d modify is a different set of tires in the same exact size (BFG KO2’s or something of the like). Otherwise, I wouldn’t add a locking diff or anything else later. Just keep it BASE. What do you think, can’t merge onto the freeway and will implode as soon as it touches dirt? Or reasonable off road exploration rig?
You’ll be fine as long as you don’t try to follow a set of 35’s through a mud bog (AZ?). We wheeled with much less back in the day. It will help to have larger ground clearances in some cases. Just keep the limitations in mind and you’ll be find. Plus, the base comes with recovery points as the rest do!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I remember when my brother put a 6 inch lift and 33’s on his GMC Jimmy. They were huge compared to most of the 29’s we wheeled. They were great up at Silver Lake Mi. But getting there was noisy! :cool: . My sister in law used a blue milk crate with a rope attached to get in. Fun times!

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’ll do great. The one thing I recommend is getting the heavy duty bumper/bash plate and maybe even the rock rails. They aren’t absolutely necessary but one thing I’ve learned over the years is if you wheel enough and it’s exposed it’ll get hit. But I also intend to get a base base (with the exception of the protection) for Arizona. There’s a lot that can be done easily with that setup here.

Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello all,

You'll be good with the Base especially if what you listed are your intensions with it. Heck half the time we're off road on fire roads or even out in the desert where we shoot I don't even have 4wd on. No reason to spend more on stuff you don't need or will not use. If you do decide later to get more adventurous you can always get larger tires and a small lift.

DWG342

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hello all,

great question AZ. You laid out my exact intentions with the base model I reserved, so happy to hear from more experienced off readers that it will meet my needs

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It'll do just fine. I explored some of AZ last month in a rental Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. base tire, no lockers, etc.. It did way more than I expected it to without issue.

I do agree with @SamR though. Add some armor/rock rails for protection and peace of mind.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello all,

I took a stock 1988 Bronco II through hell and back, and the Base is 100% more capable than that. With that said if you want to do any serious off-roading you'll need better tires pretty much off the bat. If you really get into off-roading the next step would probably be a lift and even better tires yet, and then adding lockers... and a winch somewhere in there....

On the 2d I think the 2.3L will do great.

If you go Base I'd recommend adding the aux switches, that way you could cleanly wire in any aftermarket items.

If base/mt/sas wasn't 22MY I'd go that route, because the value is awesome (currently) but since it is I'm just going BL.

Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello all,

I'm in Utah and we did what you described in our minivan. We definitely had to change plans a few times because the van wasn't capable enough but it could handle more than you would think.

I love the base option and am torn between the base and badlands. I've always bought the base version of cars, mostly for money reasons, and partially because I didn't value what the extra money would buy.

I'm leaning towards the badlands mostly because money is no longer a real issue for me, kids are out of college, house is paid off, wife is working again....

I'm still considering the base because it will likely be able to do anything I plan on doing.

It's silly but I almost feel like I'm paying 12000-15000 for a rear locker and 12" screen because those are the only 2 things the base doesn't have that I really want.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The most important things "must have" things for off-roading are 4x4, ground clearance and tires. All of this you can get from the base. Adding a 2" lift would improve the capability a lot and improving tire size and tread pattern will help with the traction. A locking rear diff really isn't necessary. Can't remember if the base has it or not. But for as long as I had one on mine I've never needed to use it. Although it's nice to have most people will never "Need" it. I never drive a manual of-road so I'm not sure how I'd feel about the constant use on the clutch. I'm lazy and will always go to the auto. But I'd say go with the base and you shouldn't feel it won't be capable. If it isn't a couple cheap upgrades can fix it.

OP
OP

AZ_Bronco

Base
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’ll do great. The one thing I recommend is getting the heavy duty bumper/bash plate and maybe even the rock rails. They aren’t absolutely necessary but one thing I’ve learned over the years is if you wheel enough and it’s exposed it’ll get hit. But I also intend to get a base base (with the exception of the protection) for Arizona. There’s a lot that can be done easily with that setup here.
Skid plates is a good point, I may add that even for road driving out here in AZ. Our freeways are good but rural roads are absolutely shit.

What do you guys make of the rear shocks being mounted so low? I guess they are so close to the tire they might not hit on anything, but is there any protection for that? Ripping a shock off on a rock and snapping everything connected to it would ruin anyone’s day!

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in Utah and we did what you described in our minivan. We definitely had to change plans a few times because the van wasn't capable enough but it could handle more than you would think.

I love the base option and am torn between the base and badlands. I've always bought the base version of cars, mostly for money reasons, and partially because I didn't value what the extra money would buy.

I'm leaning towards the badlands mostly because money is no longer a real issue for me, kids are out of college, house is paid off, wife is working again....

I'm still considering the base because it will likely be able to do anything I plan on doing.

It's silly but I almost feel like I'm paying 12000-15000 for a rear locker and 12" screen because those are the only 2 things the base doesn't have that I really want.
The only thing I really want is that 12" screen as well. It looks like a lot cleaner fit in the dash. No silly bezel like it doesn't belong. I will definetly use the 360 degree camera and trail maps. It's the one upgrade that I know I would kick myself for "not" getting after using the 8" screen. And the 2.7L is my second "must have". It has such good reviews and is praised for its power compared to the 3.5L.

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Skid plates is a good point, I may add that even for road driving out here in AZ. Our freeways are good but rural roads are absolutely shit.

What do you guys make of the rear shocks being mounted so low? I guess they are so close to the tire they might not hit on anything, but is there any protection for that? Ripping a shock off on a rock and snapping everything connected to it would ruin anyone’s day!
Yeah the rural roads are almost as bad as the fire roads here!

I don’t think there are any options for protecting the lower control arms/shocks right now but I’m sure after market will have something. They exist aftermarket for the 3rd gen 4Runner.
Sponsored