Sponsored

Will the Bilstein suspension make the on-road drive / ride quality softer?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So digging further I see the Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers are the standard shocks for the Badlands, Wildtrack and First Edition, part of what is called the HOSS System. They are also included with the Sasquatch Package on the Base, Big Bend, Black Diamond and Outer Banks.

Here is a highlight of the Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers features.
Bilstein B8 8112 (ZoneControl CR)

ZoneControl CR: Position sensitive damping with 3 compression zones and 2 rebound zones, controlled by 3 independent pistons

Compression (C): Provides superior bottom out control through a 2-stage, telescoping internal compression stop. This feature eliminates the need for an external hydraulic bump stop

Rebound (R): Secondary rebound stop will dissipate spring energy and stabilize the suspension directly following a large compression event. The internal rebound stop will also eliminate harsh top-out events and the need for an external limit strap

Triple piston design delivers comfort during every day driving conditions and maximum control under large suspension imputs

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/bilst...ft-corner-module-41-269282/_/R-BBGL-41-269282

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Think about it this way, Springs are stupid they are like a dumb weight lifter, the shocks/dampers are the brain of your suspension system. So the weight lifter holds the truck up, and the smart geek controls how it handles

The better the valving in the shocks the better it will ride and handle. On my 1977 Bronco I put a Wild Horses 3.5 inch suspension lift, it rode ok, but was bouncy and not the most confident setup. I replaced the shocks with the entry level Bilsteins, and it transformed the way it drove. The ride was a bit firmer, but the control was so much better, it didn't bounce all over the place, was so much more stable, body roll was reduced, it launched better, and was just so much more enjoyable to drive
Really glad to hear this. WH 2.5" suspension with the Bilstiens just got here a few days ago.
May not get to drive it for a year though....frame off.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know one of the guys who worked one em. He's pretty good at what he does, and knows suspension design. I trust him that this will be the smoothest vehicle ive ever had on any terrain.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can't compare an SUV to an unloaded truck. Most trucks with no cargo ride like crap, because the suspension is designed to support a load without bottoming out. The rear end is too light and the springs are too stiff.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You can't compare an SUV to an unloaded truck. Most trucks with no cargo ride like crap, because the suspension is designed to support a load without bottoming out. The rear end is too light and the springs are too stiff.
While true for an SUV and Truck, we need to find the middle ground for the Bronco as the rear end will not be as light nor the springs as stiff as a truck, so lets look at each element.

First, the Bronco cargo area is different from a truck in several ways, since it has a full metal body over the cargo area which puts pre-load weight on the springs, like an SUV.

Second, the Bronco cargo area was never designed for 1/2 ton of cargo in the rear cargo area so the springs did not need to designed for that size of payload.

Third, tow capacity, the Bronco only has a tow capacity of 3,500 lbs, so the springs will have been sized accordingly.

Will it ride like a truck, lets hope not, will it ride like an SUV, maybe not, but the Bilstein's should help and tire selection will go along way towards ride quality. Avoiding a load range C, D or E and avoiding mud tires will also improve ride quality.

For my ride quality, I'm swapping to the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires as they are available in the lighter P/SL load range for a better ride, more information here:
What Tires Are You Going With?

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Don't put too much thought into what brand an OEM shock is. The aftermarket will certainly have a shock for your need after the Bronco hits the streets.

The Bilstein shocks in my Miata were okay at best. The coilovers that replaced them? Far better from a brand you've probably never heard of.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Don't put too much thought into what brand an OEM shock is. The aftermarket will certainly have a shock for your need after the Bronco hits the streets.
OEM stock shocks are usually from a company called Suckazz and for any performance on or off road, one is best to replace them.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don’t know if this helps but I put bilstein 5100 on my 4 runner and they run smoother and going over bumps and pot holes are great.
The funny thing is, I put the 5100 monotubes on my JK and it runs stiffer and jolts you more than the Pro Comps 9000 twin tubes I had on it before.

I am guessing the stock shocks will be road friendly for average drivers, and the position sensitive Bilstiens will behave about the same on road, and much better off road.

The tires are another story.

Tarjea

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It does - in theory, longer travel and thicker side-walled tires should make for nicer on-road suspension performance. But I don't know if mud/terrain tires are an exception to that rule or not.
In my experience (yay Jax, FL...) the Mud/At tires with low quality/decent suspension has a noticeable difference in on road performance, but thats just me.

Sponsored

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There are about a million different Bilstein shocks and they all apply to certain situations so without know the ones (by part number) Ford uses there's no way to tell. I installed 4100s on my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited and it was day and night difference. They were were picked for ride quality. High end gas shocks, especially Bilsteins are top quality goods. I had them on my Porsches and you can't go wrong.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have never splurged on Kings; subsequently, I have put Bilsteins on a handful of rigs. I even put them on my 18 F150FX4 and through out the crap the truck came with from the factory. I also had an 18 Silverado that drove like a sofa on wheels and everyone knows the F series (other than Raptor) drive like a truck. Now with the Bilsteins the ride is much better and smoother over bumps, etc., but not as nice as the Chevy. On one of my 4Runners (1991 SAS) I ripped out the rear coils and put some long chevy springs in the rear and that thing would flex and wheel and drive down the road as if it was on a cloud. Enough of that, if you cannot afford Kings go with Bilsteins for the money.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here in So Cal I need it to ride real nice at 75 on a crap freeway. Right from the factory it better ride great or I'll just keep my JKUR. Having a hard time getting jazzed about a vehicle that no one has really sat in or driven yet.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The squatch's progressive shocks and 35 inch tires on 17's will ride nice if the tires are C rated, E rated will be a bit rough. With a 3500LB tow rating the suspension is soft.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Here in So Cal I need it to ride real nice at 75 on a crap freeway. Right from the factory it better ride great or I'll just keep my JKUR. Having a hard time getting jazzed about a vehicle that no one has really sat in or driven yet.
The squatch's progressive shocks and 35 inch tires on 17's will ride nice if the tires are C rated, E rated will be a bit rough. With a 3500LB tow rating the suspension is soft.
@BroncoAgain having spent years driving the SoCal freeways, 55 miles each way commute, it's always difficult to find many stretches open at 75mph more the a few minutes before yet another traffic jamb-up slows you way down.

If you buy the Wildtrack with the Squatch 35" tires, the Goodyear Territory tires are load range C so the stiffer sidewalls and heavier tires are not going to be very forgiving on the concrete expansion joints. There are only a handful of replacement 35" tires in load range C, all with large tread patterns, again, they will not be as comfortable on the SoCal freeways. Use this link and filter on load range C for 35" availability, there are only 3:
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/315-70R17.htm

If you buy the Badlands, non-Squatch it also has the Bilstein Position Sensitive shocks and it has 33" tires instead of 35". Now with the 33" tire you can choose a load range SL tire which is not available in a 35" These will be a lot better ride for the daily driver, especially on the SoCal freeways. Use this link and filter load range SL and you will see there are 14 to choose from:
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-70R17.htm

The choice of 33" tires along with the Bronco IFS will be night and day to the ride you are use to in your Jeep, you can guess which trim level I'm buying.

Ford Bronco Will the Bilstein suspension make the on-road drive / ride quality softer? 1606393806938
Sponsored

Last edited: