Sponsored

Will the Black MIC Top Fade - How Protect it?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in super hot South Florida where the sun is killer on paint and makes it fade pretty fast if not washed and waxed often. I went with white as a color due to the hot sun. The MIC top is Black though- which will look great against the white paint. Is the top fiberglass? Any suggestions how to protect it from weather and from sun fading? Regular wax or other special treatment?
Sponsored

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
top is thermoplastic

unless ford made a new formula of thermoplastic that is impervious to the sun , it will fade.

But i dont know why people are freaking out about this , as recently people have discovered all you need to restore faded car thermoplastic is a heat gun

However the modular top is made from fiberglass and paint. If you like the look of the MIC top , just get the mod top wrapped in like flat grey/black

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

there are protectants for this.

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

303 protectant has worked well on Ford plastics for me; guessing it will work on MIC top as well

Sponsored

keepergale

First Name
Gale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda VFR,RV,Mazda Miata,Jeep Renegade.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I live in super hot South Florida where the sun is killer on paint and makes it fade pretty fast if not washed and waxed often. I went with white as a color due to the hot sun. The MIC top is Black though- which will look great against the white paint. Is the top fiberglass? Any suggestions how to protect it from weather and from sun fading? Regular wax or other special treatment?
FYI the MIC top is a dark shade of grey not black.

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a heat gun but I somehow don't think it will come out very good. Perhaps a cab cover will be made by an aftermarket company. One that will fit with and without the top. I have one for my Wrangler- and it works great- it protects the top and interior. Actually I am on my second one. First one last only 2 years, the sun (just partial use) practically disintegrated it, demonstrating how strong the sun is.

I am worried about it as the sun is very brutal here. You would not know unless you live here. You can't escape the elements- up north you have the horrible road salt and rust. Here it is heat, humidity and sun. I can deal with the heat and humidity, the sun you need to protect yourself with lots of sun block and wax, 303 protect your vehicles often.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Take it off and keep it in the garage.

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Take it off and keep it in the garage.
LOL I sure would but my Garage is only 19 X 19- and houses 2 roll aways, 2 kayaks, 4 bikes, 4 sets of shelves with tools, car parts, paints and various car maintenance stuff. Also 4 floor jacks, brooms, beach chairs, fishing equipment, bike racks. And it fits nicely a truck and a car in the bays. It's very neat and organized. All walls are consumed up to the ceiling. Maybe there is space if I suspend the top from the ceiling.........

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As a temporary solution 303 aerospace protectant would be a great option as it looks great and will protect from us rays. I plan on doing a ceramic coating on the whole vehicle and that should make the top look great and be much easier to clean.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

As a temporary solution 303 aerospace protectant would be a great option as it looks great and will protect from us rays. I plan on doing a ceramic coating on the whole vehicle and that should make the top look great and be much easier to clean.
I have my car ceramic coated and also had all the black / plastic pieces coated, its not like the old days of fade. I use 303 on my F150 toneau cover for the UV protection works well.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look around at the multitude of hardtop Wranglers in the area. How bad have they faded. I would assume the MIC top would be pretty comparable.

OP
OP

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
303 does work great- I use it all the time. In the summer here though there are intense rains- every day. It pours for about an hour or two. Then the sun comes black out blazing right after the rain. The rain does strip the 303 off since it rains so hard. I have used it on vinyl soft tops- a Miata and also my current Wrangler. I have to apply so often as it gets washed off after a few heavy rains.

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Jeeps owners have been dealing with this for a long time. If it fades, even with the use of a protectant, just grab a restorer of your choice. Mother's makes some called "back to Black". I recently used it on my tacoma with some solid results.

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
303 does work great- I use it all the time. In the summer here though there are intense rains- every day. It pours for about an hour or two. Then the sun comes black out blazing right after the rain. The rain does strip the 303 off since it rains so hard. I have used it on vinyl soft tops- a Miata and also my current Wrangler. I have to apply so often as it gets washed off after a few heavy rains.
Haha yep I'm in Miami. I used to use 303 on my old vinyl bed over and the water spots was my only complaint
Sponsored