Sponsored

Will this cordless ratchet work with taking doors on/off?

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like you must not have removed the doors yet. I’m all for buying new tools but the ratchet phase is not what takes time.
Sponsored

cricex

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L CG Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speaking of door bolts, I've only taken the doors off once and now the bolts loosen by themselves every so often to the point of almost falling out and I have to retighten them.

Are we supposed to loctite the bolts every time we put the doors back on?

OP
OP
Bronco 215

Bronco 215

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speaking of door bolts, I've only taken the doors off once and now the bolts loosen by themselves every so often to the point of almost falling out and I have to retighten them.

Yeah I have only taken mine off once as well. It was a pain the first time to unbolt, but now every 2 weeks I am usually adding a turn of the ratchet to tighten as the door makes noise. Not sure about the answer to your question here.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I have only taken mine off once as well. It was a pain the first time to unbolt, but now every 2 weeks I am usually adding a turn of the ratchet to tighten as the door makes noise. Not sure about the answer to your question here.
If you tighten the bolts to the recommended torque of 22 ft-lbs (30 Nm), they won’t back out. That seems a little tighter than you might intuitively expect if doing it purely by feel, but it is not so tight that it will cause the bolts to plastically deform or break. A torque wrench is your friend here, and even if you don’t like using one routinely, you should do it at least once to help mentally calibrate your own intuitive feel.

Ford Bronco Will this cordless ratchet work with taking doors on/off? FFF80933-1306-4F37-9AD0-6DD9793DC9DE

Last edited:

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you tighten the bolts to the recommended torque of 22 ft-lbs (30 Nm), they won’t back out. That seems a little tighter than you might intuitively expect if doing it purely by feel, but it is not so tight that it will cause the bolts to plastically deform or break. A torque wrench is your friend here, and even if you don’t like using one routinely, you should do it at least once to help mentally calibrate your own intuitive feel.

Ford Bronco Will this cordless ratchet work with taking doors on/off? FFF80933-1306-4F37-9AD0-6DD9793DC9DE
This.

The bolts will not back out if you tighten then "snug" them. Especially the top bolts of each door. I've never put a torque wrench to them...I just go a quarter turn or so past where I did the first time...when they backed out.

Also, I have had my doors on and off dozens of times. Why would you need a power tool to do this? And in what way is the supplied wrench junk? In my experience, the toolkit is the quality I would expect from a non-luxury brand, and in the daytime, I can have all my doors off in well under ten minutes. Under what circumstances would it need to be faster?

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this a nascar pit stop?
I have had my doors on and off dozens of times. Why would you need a power tool to do this? And in what way is the supplied wrench junk? In my experience, the toolkit is the quality I would expect from a non-luxury brand, and in the daytime, I can have all my doors off in well under ten minutes. Under what circumstances would it need to be faster?
It’s not an issue of speed or power. It’s an issue of limited access for people with big hands. A cordless ratchet can help in that regard.

Frustrating Door Removal Process

Five-O Donut Hole

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Raptor-Loaded-Original Owner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Will this Milwaukee cordless rachet be good for door installation? Wanting to take them on/off a lot quicker. Just wanted to make sure this isn’t too much torque on the bolts and also that the Bronco tool kit is in fact a 3/8” head.
I actually use a Milwaukee right angle drill (with attachments) for the roof rack and hardtop but not the doors…..too big. The single manual ratchet is the best option for the doors.

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use a cheap amazon electric ratchet and it works fine. Makes it a little easier imo as I have taken them off with the supplied ratchet and the electric one. But lets be honest any "excuse" to buy a new power tool is the right move ;)

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It'll work I use one i got off of amazon works great.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have this Milwaukee ratchet:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ne-Battery-Charger-and-Bag-2567-21H/317212356

It appears to have a smaller head than the one you posted. But I'll see if it fits tomorrow and post up here.
Ford Bronco Will this cordless ratchet work with taking doors on/off? 1661363542150

Ford Bronco Will this cordless ratchet work with taking doors on/off? 1661363554256

Keep in mind, these don't have a ton of torque so you normally have to start it by hand (can use the tool) then use the power feature to get it out the rest of the way. Because the wrench is thicker than a manual one you don't have as much room to break the bolts loose, but I think it would still work.

But I also agree with what has been said.. using the manual ratchet is fine. Most of the assistance the cordless one gives you is getting long bolts out after having broken them loose. The ones on our doors just aren't that long.
Sponsored