Sponsored

Will you defer placing an order and ultimately delivery of your reserved Bronco is there is not a hybrid avail?

Will you defer your delivery of the new Bronco if the hybrid is not avail in December 2020?

• Total voters

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One comment:
Adding a hybrid to an existing vehicle thinking it is saving natural resources is often like adding a salad to every meal and expecting to lose weight.
If an 8-10 mpg savings over the life of the vehicle doesn't make up for the battery production (and it can be recycled)

Over 100k miles
15 mpg 6666 gallons
25 mpg 4000 gallons

You don't think saving 2600 gallons of fuel could make a difference?

Plus the hybrid could be faster than the regular version
I don't get the hate for hybrids, if it's faster and more efficient what is there not to like?
Sponsored

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
A thought... Gas at $3.00/gallon the cost difference for given mileage would be $8000. Dividing that into 100K miles gives cost at $.08/mile. A Tesla battery has an estimated cost after the warranty has expired in the $5000+ range. To home charge 370 mile capacity battery to full charge at $.13/kwh equals $15.29 per charge. Considering the initial cost of the hybrid option, I am not seeing the value. Please correct me if I am wrong in my thinking.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If an 8-10 mpg savings over the life of the vehicle doesn't make up for the battery production (and it can be recycled)

Over 100k miles
15 mpg 6666 gallons
25 mpg 4000 gallons

You don't think saving 2600 gallons of fuel could make a difference?

Plus the hybrid could be faster than the regular version
I don't get the hate for hybrids, if it's faster and more efficient what is there not to like?
If you never make that vehicle in the first place and drove your clunker instead of trading it in for cash, you would save a lot of raw materials. It's not just about gasoline. The 15 largest ships carrying all of those parts and materials and knick-knacks from/to China and elsewhere pollute more than all of the cars in the world combined. There's more to promoting "made in [insert your country here]" than simple national pride. Ok, so you save 6.5 bbl per year of gasoline which is comes from about 17 bbl of crude per year. Global production is just over 80 million bbl per day.

You could try to stomp out a forest fire with your boots, but it's not going to fix the problem.

What about the water pollution from lithium mining? Or the human rights violations from children mining Cobalt?

The insta-torque argument is a fair one, but the virtue signalling of hybrid vehicle proponents is not a justifiable argument for building a new vehicle regardless of fuel efficiency.

I'm getting whatever the hell I want, btw, and not saying that I'm good and you're bad or anything ridiculous like that. I know the choice I'm making and I'm aware that the environment and some people will or will have suffered in the process of making my vehicular opium.

Math, because it's fun:

Given:
100k miles total
13,476 DOT avg miles per year
2666 gallon difference
42 gallons in a crude oil bbl (even though they use 55 gal drums)
~21 gallons of gasoline per bbl

(2666/(100,000/13,476))/21 = ~17 bbl/year of crude

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because there is nothing inherent about a hybrid bronco that will compromise it’s ability off road. (Increased weight maybe?)

But there are are crap ton of benefits for off road and on road enjoyment. Instant predictable torque, onboard generator, extended range, etc.
The battery will need to go somewhere. Jeep, in my opinion, did a poor job with placement in a hard core 4x4 (Rubicon). We'll see if Ford has more sense in that area.

I'm getting the Bronco because Jeep doesn't give me a choice with the hybrid. The 2021 Rubicon is only a hybrid. In the case of Jeep, you have this battery hanging under the frame, an extra cooling system, hoses and wires all over the place. A long term total cost of ownership nightmare. Current hybrid solutions seem like they will add 10K or more over the long term with battery replacement, generator replacement, maintaining two cooling systems, etc. If you don't do you own maintenance it could be worse. Also, if you're broke down on the trail getting parts for these new systems in a timely fashion is likely to be a nightmare.

I'm sure these systems will eventually be common place and very reliable. I'm not interested in being an unpaid tester to help them get it right. So far, I haven't been sold that hybrid is right for those of use who use vehicles for ~200K miles. It's probably fine if you have no intention of keeping it for more than 1-2 years.

My current rigs are a 2000 Jeep and a 2002 Excrusion, putting me square in the long term owner category.....

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For sure keeping an older car running is greener than buying any new type of vehicle. Maybe I oversimplified and compared new bronco vs hybrid bronco

Times have changed though, sometimes the hybrid is simply a better vehicle with lower operating costs

Some will just buy the better vehicle available without concern about child labor or mining pollution or CO2 output, and sometimes the hybrid is a better vehicle.

You have to keep your automotive knowledge up to pace as technology changes, just because a 1998 prius was a lame vehicle and even new Priuses are still lame that doesn't mean all hybrids are stupid or useless. There's more hybrids than just the prius

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A thought... Gas at $3.00/gallon the cost difference for given mileage would be $8000. Dividing that into 100K miles gives cost at $.08/mile. A Tesla battery has an estimated cost after the warranty has expired in the $5000+ range. To home charge 370 mile capacity battery to full charge at $.13/kwh equals $15.29 per charge. Considering the initial cost of the hybrid option, I am not seeing the value. Please correct me if I am wrong in my thinking.
Well you are talking about charging a Tesla battery which isn't a hybrid.

Hybrids and electric cars are different things

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm sure these systems will eventually be common place and very reliable. I'm not interested in being an unpaid tester to help them get it right. So far, I haven't been sold that hybrid is right for those of use who use vehicles for ~200K miles. It's probably fine if you have no intention of keeping it for more than 1-2 years
You do know hybrids have been around more than 20 years, with many in service as taxis right?

Taxi services tend to use long lasting vehicles with a low cost of operation

This isn't some crazy new technology

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Carealess is the accepted term these days. But its slang....Then again, you just used a possession mark in the word "it"....while trying to police an internet forum....Yes. you are that guy...
Back to our normal viewing.....
Dude, you really need to know what you’re talking about if you’re going to make a snippy corrective post like that. And you even ended it with a witty little quip at the end. FAIL :ROFLMAO:

1. Careless is not a “term”, it’s an adjective.
2. Saying “I couldn’t care less” is not slang.
3. The correct word is “possessive”, not “possession”
4. “Careless” is not the word to use. It has a completely different definition than “care less”.
5. Saying “I could care less” and “I couldn’t care less” are both equally excepted for the same meaning.
6. It’s (it is) is correct not “its”. Its is the possessive version.

Sorry to everyone for the interruption! ?

Last edited:

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Getting this Bronco now. I've been saving the planet for the past 6 years driving a couple of Focii. Now I'm going to enjoy ripping the planet up a little.
In a few years, when the hybrid Bronco has been out for a year or so, I'll consider the hybrid.

Sponsored

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You do know hybrids have been around more than 20 years, with many in service as taxis right?

Nope didn't know that. Sounds promising. Now if Ford were to run that technology in a Baja truck and a KOH race car - with good success - it would be more meaningful to me :)

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Also, electric vehicles have been around in the U.S. since the late 1800s. The technology just hasn’t been good enough to make it practical until recently.