Sponsored

Will you defer placing an order and ultimately delivery of your reserved Bronco is there is not a hybrid avail?

Will you defer your delivery of the new Bronco if the hybrid is not avail in December 2020?

• Total voters

BroAD

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I was interested in researching the Jeep Wrangler 4xe that is coming out later this year to see what was so exciting about it. Well, the bottom line to me is nothing much at all. Sure, it would be nice (if needed) to recharge you rig on the Moab trail if you run out of juice or have some time to spare (2-3 hour recharge) but the combined range on the 4xe of 400 miles only includes 25 miles of pure electric horsepower.

Doing the calculations to determine if the 4xe was worth the cost in savings at the gas pump got me excited when I originally thought the 17-kWh battery could get me 400 miles at a total estimated cost of about $1.75/charge at the house. But when I found out that the 17-kWh battery only yielded about 25 miles, that pushing the Bronco miles per gallon average (~23 mpg combined on F-150).

So, add the headache of batteries and hybrid engines to the mix and its a hard pass for me. Maybe several years down the road for an all electric Bronco where batteries are my only concern but doubtful since I look forward to driving 400 per fill-up, not per day.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, I was interested in researching the Jeep Wrangler 4xe that is coming out later this year to see what was so exciting about it. Well, the bottom line to me is nothing much at all. Sure, it would be nice (if needed) to recharge you rig on the Moab trail if you run out of juice or have some time to spare (2-3 hour recharge) but the combined range on the 4xe of 400 miles only includes 25 miles of pure electric horsepower.

Doing the calculations to determine if the 4xe was worth the cost in savings at the gas pump got me excited when I originally thought the 17-kWh battery could get me 400 miles at a total estimated cost of about $1.75/charge at the house. But when I found out that the 17-kWh battery only yielded about 25 miles, that pushing the Bronco miles per gallon average (~23 mpg combined on F-150).

So, add the headache of batteries and hybrid engines to the mix and its a hard pass for me. Maybe several years down the road for an all electric Bronco where batteries are my only concern but doubtful since I look forward to driving 400 per fill-up, not per day.
Whether it makes sense or not would vary amongst of us depending on our situations.
Is your commute, grocery run, kids drop-offs, etc. under the rated range and could be done on electric only? As an example mine is not by my wife's generally is, so it may make sense for her.
Does your jurisdiction give out significant rebates for that vehicle? As an example in BC this should qualify for $6500 rebate at point of sale!
Does it allow you to use HOV lanes, go through EV-only zones, or make use of any other similar transportation incentive that would actually benefit you on the regular? For some of us who live in cities it very well may, but for others it may not.
Is that shockingly low range going to be a problem for your anticipated use of the vehicle? For lots of us it sure is!
Are there any other tangible benefits specific to your situation that the instant torque, silent drive mode, etc. will provide?
And finally, can you stomach driving a jeep with an automatic transmission?

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Alltrack
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

You've forgotten to factor in a few things. The hybrid will also get much better gas mileage in the typical commute, and decently better mileage even in pure highway driving. The efficiency benefit isn't just from being a plug in hybrid.

You also save on maintenance. There aren't battery and electrical headaches, those are very reliable especially now. The electric system saves wear on some key components like the brakes and even the engine.

Plus you get a huge amount of torque even from 0rpm which would be great offroad. Plus the efficiency increase for low speed trail driving will be astronomical I think. I bet you'd get triple the MPG in the real world because electric is so good for that kind of usage

cazimi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Glad I'm not the only one getting my gas guzzler now and planning to trade in that relatively high-value vehicle on the hybrid when it is available. I bought a hybrid Civic in 2002 and drove the shit out of it across the cornfields of Iowa commuting, and eventually sold it above market to a college kid wanting a reliable low mpg commuter. I've been carless for a decade since I had no reason to commute and rented when I wanted a drive. I bought a Subaru Baja as a ridiculous errand-runner during the pandemic. The Bronco is my betting on having enough free time soon to go places. Hybrid works for me since I want the gas range in places where EV charging is more sparse. I'll appreciate the mpg bump on my daily driving.
Sponsored