Sponsored

Will you defer placing an order and ultimately delivery of your reserved Bronco is there is not a hybrid avail?

Will you defer your delivery of the new Bronco if the hybrid is not avail in December 2020?

• Total voters

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You might consider factoring in the cost per kWh for electricity to charge the battery and the declining efficiency of the battery with time. That “8-10 mpg” won’t be linear over 100k miles.

Then there’s the fact that 63% of the electricity consumed in the USA is generated by fossil fuels and an additional (gasp) 20% is generated by nuclear reactors. That leaves a paltry 17% of electric being generated by renewable sources.

So unless you live in an area of the country that has electricity that was generated from 100% renewable energy, you’re still part of the fossil fuel problem. Worse, you’re part of the spent nuclear fuel problem that no one has a solution for (toxic for generations).

And of course, the USA doesn’t have the Generation capacity necessary to support a sudden shift toward hybrid/all-electric vehicles. But that’s a story for a different time.

And by the way, electricity generated by renewable sources is substantially more expensive than traditional fossil fuel sources. So as that shift occurs toward a higher percentage of electricity from renewable sources, your operational costs will rise as well.

Do all the math. There are no free rides with hybrids and all-electric solutions.
How do so few of you know that most hybrids don't plug into a wall or charge from the grid?

Hybrids get their energy from capturing your kinetic energy as you brake and storing that in the battery. The energy that is normally wasted as heat in your brakes is instead stored to help your gas motor accelerate you at a later time

There are
Hybrids
Plug in hybrids
Electric
They are 3 different and distinct things.
Sponsored

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been really into the Mach-E, but when the Bronco came out I fell in love. I know they are practically two different cars, but whatever.

I just wish the Bronco got a bit better gas mileage...something like 23/30.

It might be worth an extra couple thousand to get an average of 27 MPG, but I don't know if it will be worth the wait.

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Alltrack
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had a Ford C-Max hybrid and I would totally hold out for the hybrid version of either the Bronco or Bronco Sport. Hybrid has nothing but positives. You get much better gas mileage in typical commuting. My C-Max got 35mpg in urban Austin, while my Alltrack got 20mpg. Similar weight and aerodynamics. The low end torque was great and it made the car much more usable in everyday driving, since it was so easy to accelerate from a stop to take advantage of a gap in traffic etc.

Maintenance is also much cheaper because brakes get much less use and the electric motor saves wear on the transmission and engine.

For an offroad vehicle hybrid would get you a massive boost in low RPM torque and astronomical gas mileage at low speed on trails. I would imagine 30mpg or better. Yes it does matter, because the better your gas mileage the further you can go.

And no, you don't have to charge a normal hybrid. Only plug-in hybrids have wall outlet charging and even those you don't necessarily have to charge

oldguy

First Name
oldguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Some may not care about gas mileage and the cost of gas and that's fine. However, when I'm driving 20-25k miles annually it adds up so I'd like my bronco to get an average of 30mpg. If you average 20, 25 or 30 mpg at various $per gallon and drive 20k miles a year it looks something like this;

20k / 20mpg = 1000 gallons of gas x $2.50 gallon is $2,500 annually or $208/mo
20k / 25mpg = 800 gallons of gas x $2.50 gallon is $2000 annually or $166/mo
20k / 30mpg = 667 gallons of gas x $2.50 gallon is $1667 annually or $138/mo

When gas was at $4.00 gallon the costs, and savings also grew.

Now if a hybrid option adds 10k to the price tag, the break even point vs gas is going to depend on the cost of gas, future cost of gas, maintenance cost etc. IF someone can save $480/yr ($40/mo) on gas with the hybrid, depending on miles driven, it would take 20.8 years to get the 10k price increase back. Of course technology, and batteries and ev is increasing more rapidly than ever which will bring down the price but the lithium used in batteries isn't limitless which is why there is some experimentation taking place with hydrogen.

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Alltrack
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Some may not care about gas mileage and the cost of gas and that's fine. However, when I'm driving 20-25k miles annually it adds up so I'd like my bronco to get an average of 30mpg. If you average 20, 25 or 30 mpg at various $per gallon and drive 20k miles a year it looks something like this;

20k / 20mpg = 1000 gallons of gas x $2.50 gallon is $2,500 annually or $208/mo
20k / 25mpg = 800 gallons of gas x $2.50 gallon is $2000 annually or $166/mo
20k / 30mpg = 667 gallons of gas x $2.50 gallon is $1667 annually or $138/mo

When gas was at $4.00 gallon the costs, and savings also grew.

Now if a hybrid option adds 10k to the price tag, the break even point vs gas is going to depend on the cost of gas, future cost of gas, maintenance cost etc. IF someone can save $480/yr ($40/mo) on gas with the hybrid, depending on miles driven, it would take 20.8 years to get the 10k price increase back. Of course technology, and batteries and ev is increasing more rapidly than ever which will bring down the price but the lithium used in batteries isn't limitless which is why there is some experimentation taking place with hydrogen.
Thanks for the calculations, that lays it out really well. Your savings would be even better in real life, because during a typical commute with traffic a Bronco isn't getting 20mpg, probably more like 15mpg!

Sponsored

MarcusBroday

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm absolutely waiting for details about the potential hybrid, but particularly a plug in hybrid. I have a commute (16 miles) that could be done on electricity alone by basically any plug in hybrid. I live in an area in Nevada where the electricity comes from hydropower and my house has nearly perfect solar potential if I ever wanted to make the investment. A non-plugin hybrid seems more likely given the drivetrain on the new F150 and Explorer, but we'll see.

It's not the place for scientific debate, but I will say that after reading a lot of studies, I'm pretty convinced that hybrid vehicles are notably better for the environment, and that's especially true of things like SUVs that are comparatively inefficient to start.

But aside from that, I'd just like to have a partially electric vehicle. I think it would be pretty ideal for crawling with its torque and ability to avoid idling. It makes complete sense to me that Jeep is putting a "charge up on the way to the trail mode" on the 4xe.

And the range that comes with the greater efficiency would be another major bonus. I'd love for 5 gallons in a jerry can to give me a 135 mile cushion rather than a 90 mile one. Those use the difference in the Explorer's city mileage, which is closer to what I tend to get in my current vehicles exploring dirt roads. Now that range advantage could be negated if they need to make the tank smaller to fit all the hybrid stuff. They didn't have to on the Explorer. So another thing to wait and see about.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe this poll will stop and the hybrid 'now' shenanigans. Hybrid and electric will come if the market will support it. Money first to foot the cost of tech development. Ford needs the money for tech advancement, period. Support Hybrid and electric vehicles by purchasing what's available now.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Less than zero interest in a hybrid. Same goes for all-electric. I’ve been riding subways and buses to school and work for 26 years in a row. I live in less than 1300 square feet. I park eight stories up in a parking garage that has just a few electrics parked in the corners and can’t even come close to satisfying demand for electricity if we all went that way.

While my carbon footprint is bigger than a nomad in a yurt, I am not going to forgo this chance to finally have an awesome ride.

What’s more, there ain’t no public power stations where I want to go with this baby. I’ll have to plan carefully so that I have enough gasoline in jerry cans on the back if I get my way.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just can't bring myself to drive a hybrid or electric car. Show me an electric car that makes loud vroom vroom noises and we'll talk lol. Here's a nice meme for some laughs.
tly-eats-meat-thanks-i-hate-junkie-hybrid-58781472.png

MarcusBroday

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Maybe this poll will stop and the hybrid 'now' shenanigans. Hybrid and electric will come if the market will support it. Money first to foot the cost of tech development. Ford needs the money for tech advancement, period. Support Hybrid and electric vehicles by purchasing what's available now.
I think that it will really depend on how the Wrangler 4xe sells. If it sells well, Ford will quickly follow. If it doesn't, they won't until it becomes the only way to meet efficiency standards.

Sponsored
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Alltrack
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just can't bring myself to drive a hybrid or electric car. Show me an electric car that makes loud vroom vroom noises and we'll talk lol. Here's a nice meme for some laughs.
Ford Bronco Will you defer placing an order and ultimately delivery of your reserved Bronco is there is not a hybrid avail? tly-eats-meat-thanks-i-hate-junkie-hybrid-58781472
Hybrid cars have normal gas engines. You get nothing but benefits. Torque from 0rpm with no turbo lag, double the gas mileage in city driving which is similar to offroad, and I bet they'll set it up so you can run AC devices off the battery

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hybrid cars have normal gas engines. You get nothing but benefits. Torque from 0rpm with no turbo lag, double the gas mileage in city driving which is similar to offroad, and I bet they'll set it up so you can run AC devices off the battery
Nope, just nope. Why? Because............America!
a33ef058db6fe8f4f112800dc57b17fd.jpg

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Carealess is the accepted term these days. But its slang....Then again, you just used a possession mark in the word "it"....while trying to police an internet forum....Yes. you are that guy...
Back to our normal viewing.....
Except that "possession mark" is actually an apostrophe denoting the contraction "it is." The possessive to which you refer, has no "possession mark;" it is simply "its."