Sponsored

Will your Bronco be your first manual vehicle?

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m ordering a manual, and it will be my fifth. I’ve had a Mercury Capri, Datsun 280zx, Chevy Z-34 lumina, Saab 900se convertible.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Woodlane

Big Bend
First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't think any manual transmission virgin is going to out themselves in this forum.

Although, please, for the love of God, film your first time driving a manual! We need the laughs.
But but that's the whole point of my post, lol! Although I can see why you'd say that most folks wouldn't be wanting to speak up haha, definitely something folks are passionate about... What can I say, I have no shame, willing to own never having had a stick before but that's what makes it that much more exciting to have this be my first manual AND my first new car buy. Although... My first few drives will hopefully be camera-less ;P

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It will not be my first manual (Eclipse GST, Evo 9, Civic Wagovan, Fleetline, TSX, B18c5r Civic, Taco, stretched ATV beer delivery vehicle)

Nor will it be my first with crawler gear (1999 Honda Civic Wagovan w/6-spd manual, SL1st)

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto here, getting to old the clutch all the time and besides that I owned an old Harley kick-start so the knees ain't what they used to be ?

SantaStephen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.santastephen.org
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLE, Discovery II, 67 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Growing up in Scotland, cars are pretty much all manual. Got my first automatic when I got married (wife is American and couldn’t drive stick...wasn’t many options for finding a used automatic in our price range back in 99 in Scotland, found an Austin Maestro estate in British Racing Green but it had a ton of issues and after a month traded it in for a Vauxhall Astra).
Since moving to the States we’ve had exclusively autos, apart from our 67 Corvette which is a 4 speed. Haven’t decided yet on manual or auto for the Bronco...

Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No. I learned on dirt bikes. First manual car was a suzuki forenza. Now that all the new stuff is coming out with only automatics, I am jumping on the opportunity to show there are still those that prefer the simplicity and satisfaction of a manual transmission. If in 20 years, they don't offer anything with a manual transmission, I won't buy a new car ever again. I'll be buying old cars, rewelding frames, whatever is needed. Automatics are so boring and frustrating sometimes. Especially going up steep hills after a 90° turn, or when I want to just coast down one in neutral. Starting out in 2nd from a stop in icy parking lots. Power shifting. Dropping gear and slamming the pedal to pass.i could go on and on. Driving is so much more enjoyable when you have complete control over your vehicle, and have the feedback of your pedals.

Last edited:

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. I learned to drive in a '79 El Camino 4-Speed manual when I was 13.

I didn't own an automatic myself until after I was 31 years old.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1947 Chevrolet grain truck
1953 ford grain truck
1982 Chevy s-10
Festiva
Aspire
Vw diesel jetta

learned on the grain trucks and been driving since 10. Taken out of school during harvest like most farm kids for about a month. Driven everything that’s got wheels and tracks just about.
getting an automatic because of nerve damage and that’s all I drive anymore. Would love a base squatch with 2 door manual. Just not in the cards. I am only 40.

20Bronco21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’22 Badlands, ‘23 Balands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I much prefer to row my own gears, but my orthopedic surgeon has other ideas. Sadly, I will take the automatic over the surgeons scalpel. Fifty five years of driving, forty five years of manual greaboxes.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope, first car was a Triumph Spitfire. Second car was a TR6.
I know it's borderline sacrilege, but as a kid of the 80s, I always fancied the TR7/8. I know. I know.:)

Sponsored

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not my first either ?
1996 mustang gt - my first
1995 mustang gt
1999 mustang gt
2007 mustang gt convertible
2008 mustang gt500
2017 Honda Civic si

auto
2020 Hyundai Tucson - baby mobile

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I much prefer to row my own gears, but my orthopedic surgeon has other ideas. Sadly, I will take the automatic over the surgeons scalpel. Fifty five years of driving, forty five years of manual greaboxes.
they did surgery on one of my arms. Couldn’t use it for for 3 months. It didn’t do anything So I didn’t operate on the other. I found other means of getting along but less activity is way better for me and driving a stick is a lot of movement.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've driven manuals side I learned to drive. I've driven everything from 3 speeds to 18's. I've owned both, probably in equal proportions. I'm not opposed to an automatic transmission, but I also haven't driven an automatic that I didn't think could be improved had it had a manual. When it comes to class A trucks I'm firmly against automatics, especially in the mountain passes. Every Wrangler that I've had has been a manual, and I couldn't imagine one any other way. The Bronco fits that requirement as well.

dnvrBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander, Outback, 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know it's borderline sacrilege, but as a kid of the 80s, I always fancied the TR7/8. I know. I know.:)
I still to this day would get a TR8 if one fell in my lap. Endless repairs notwithstanding. Or a Stag.
Sponsored

Last edited: