Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok... here's a random thought I had. First off the reason for the thought, and the purpose of my Bronco

Purpose of my Bronco- Solo Overlanding and honestly to look cool as shit..... so going with a 2 door.

Reason for the following thought- I can't afford it (I'm getting it anyways, so this is not up for debate)

K, So I've been debating if I need front locker or not for Overlanding / Light Offroading. Was going either BD or BL. But now I just had the idea..... what if I go base with no lockers, and spend a grand on a winch......

Winch should get me out of anything I would of needed a locker for?

Thoughts? I would just go up to 33" for tires with steel rims.
Sponsored

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Lockers - you stay in the vehicle and keep moving

Winch - you stop, have to get in and out of the vehicle several times

You decide which is better for you.

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done some wheeling up in BC, and we used both lockers and our winches. Lots of mud, fortunately lots of trees to anchor to also.

Rear locker at a minimum (first), for me front locker is a must. I have been amazed at how capable a rig can be with just a rear locker, the front just makes it even more capable.

A winch is something that when you need it, it’s priceless! Most of the time when WE use a winch, lockers are of no use (deep mud/sand), the driver has pushed the rig beyond it's limits (mechanical breakage), or driving beyond their experience (rig on its side or off the trail). Although sometimes stuff just happens..

My recommendation, get locker(s), then save up for a winch.

Last edited:

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Depends on where you are going and density of trees there... A rear locker or at least LSD (sadly not an option on Broncos) is a must where I go so I don’t find self with free spinning wheels and no traction. Winches do look cool and I have come close to adding one to my Jeep for that reason but then common sense takes over and then I don’t.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You'll use your lockers much more often than a winch. A winch is great, and in some cases the only way to keep going or extract. That being said, if your winch is for self-recovery, you might find that a shovel works just as well for a lot less money. Prudence, and lack of ego, is really the least expensive tool you can carry for those times when you may get stuck.

Good tires, lockers and a shovel.

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your thinking is not wrong. I would say that if you could only have 1, either winch or lockers, I would go with the winch.

Lockers will certainly up your offroading game no question. BUT even people with lockers get stuck. Sometimes HARD. Even harder than a person without lockers because they weren't able to access the same place to begin with.

A winch is an almost guarantee that you will be able to get yourself unstuck when the situation occurs - and it will occur.

For this reason, as a solo overlander, winch before lockers.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So let’s say you decide to go through some desert or open muddy area out in no mans land.... not a tree or rock or anything in sight.... winch will be hard to use if you don’t have something to winch on to while locker you MAY be able to pull yourself out with the locker. Winches are great when there are items around to strap to but if there isn’t you may be SOL.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So let’s say you decide to go through some desert or open muddy area out in no mans land.... not a tree or rock or anything in sight.... winch will be hard to use if you don’t have something to winch on to while locker you MAY be able to pull yourself out with the locker. Winches are great when there are items around to strap to but if there isn’t you may be SOL.
Ah, you can bury your spare and use that as an anchor point, (I have done this in sand) use another rig (don't wheel alone), zig-zag stakes in a firm spot (you have 125' of line). One of these will work.

Sponsored

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your thinking is not wrong. I would say that if you could only have 1, either winch or lockers, I would go with the winch.

Lockers will certainly up your offroading game no question. BUT even people with lockers get stuck. Sometimes HARD. Even harder than a person without lockers because they weren't able to access the same place to begin with.

A winch is an almost guarantee that you will be able to get yourself unstuck when the situation occurs - and it will occur.

For this reason, as a solo overlander, winch before lockers.
I also agree with the winch before lockers thing.
Lockers can get you into trouble. A winch can get you out.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The winch is definitely a last effort which will work almost every time. But the lockers will be much harder to install and probably more costly to install after the fact. from factory/on my build sheet i'd have lockers installed and get the winch aftermarket when funds are available.
it's for the lockers on the bronco from factory you have the hero switches ready and it'll work with everything on the bronco with no issues. my vote, would be lockers from factory. winch aftermarket.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was on BD for awhile, thinking add a winch... I'm too old to be physically digging myself out of a jam (would if I had to I guess). With that thought, I decided on BL. Way more capable than what I'll most likely need, and should get me out of stupid situations I get myself in. I will do light camping/exploring my first year, then decide if I want to add more extreme recovery gear as time goes on.

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The winch is definitely a last effort which will work almost every time. But the lockers will be much harder to install and probably more costly to install after the fact. from factory/on my build sheet i'd have lockers installed and get the winch aftermarket when funds are available.
it's for the lockers on the bronco from factory you have the hero switches ready and it'll work with everything on the bronco with no issues. my vote, would be lockers from factory. winch aftermarket.
THIS is a very valid point.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you are sticking to overlanding and light off-roading the Base with more aggressive tires should be fine. How much capability you need is completely up to you and the roads you choose.

I've done lots of off-roading in my 4x2 pickup with a locker in the rear. It is more capable than open diff 4x2 but not as capable as open diff 4x4. I just have to know my limits. You should see the guy who takes is Ford Crown Vic to Moab.

To be honest even sticking within my limits it leaves a lot of roads open for exploration. If a road looks too sketchy I just find another. Plenty of options.

There are some roads I want to explore but are beyond my 4x2 capability. Still plenty of fun to be had on other roads, which I do, but my Bronco will have at least rear locker.

And since I am getting Base and it doesn't offer rear locker as a stand alone.. I will squatch it.
Sponsored