First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok... here's a random thought I had. First off the reason for the thought, and the purpose of my Bronco

Purpose of my Bronco- Solo Overlanding and honestly to look cool as shit..... so going with a 2 door.

Reason for the following thought- I can't afford it (I'm getting it anyways, so this is not up for debate)

K, So I've been debating if I need front locker or not for Overlanding / Light Offroading. Was going either BD or BL. But now I just had the idea..... what if I go base with no lockers, and spend a grand on a winch......

Winch should get me out of anything I would of needed a locker for?

Thoughts? I would just go up to 33" for tires with steel rims.
Crazy idea! The rear locker is super useful and will get you through most situations. Forget the winch! You can get the rear locker as an option on the Big Bend which will save you money relative to the Black Diamond.
Sponsored

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would get lockers if you plan to offroad. The main reason is factory installed is great. Go offroad with friends where you can learn what not to do. Then, when you're by yourself, you will not try driving through that swamp with the lockers engaged. Unless you're my neighbor's kid driving a FWD sedan in a mudhole.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am not the expert on either, but the easy answer, as alluded to on this string, is just be smart about where you go. If you like tough trails, crazy rock crawling, mud bogs, snow then you probably should be with someone.

I will just go where I easily can, enjoy the top off, see the sites on some easy fire roads.

I would vote winch if you picked one. Or just don't go where you need either.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you have the winch and no lockers, you will try too hard (keep bumping an obstacle) to get over it before saying “f, now I have to get out and hookup the winch”. This trying too hard and repeatedly bashing the obstacle will lead to damage or a roll on the trail and that’s real bad. I’d get the locker first and save up for the winch.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

funny how opposite the opinions are. Open diffs are worthless... lockers are expensive, winches are not (lots of options besides the very pricey Warns)

rear locker (or LSD) is a must. Broncos have IFS... the chances of lifting tires off the ground are pretty damn high. A rear locker will do wonders.

then spend 500-800 and get a winch. Right now you have no means to attach a winch anyway.

And FYI, getting a 2 door for overlanding seems like a bad idea since the 4 door would give you so much more storage, would it not?
Sponsored