Sponsored

Winch questions - installed by dealer? Aftermarket winch better option?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13702
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Deleted member 13702

Scrubbed the forums and didn't see an answer. Sorry if this is a repeat question and also if it's a dumb question.

Is it correct that the winch is a dealer installed option? If so, after seeing the way it blocks the front camera, what are everyone's thoughts on waiting till they fix that issue and having it installed after purchase, or would an aftermarket set up be better and potentially cheaper?

OriginalIy this was a must have option for me. Not to mention I really like the way it looked on the build and price tool and the overland rig concept. I plan on using my Bronco in some fairly gnarly areas and see it as something I would use, just not sure it's worth it in it's current form. Thoughts???

Screenshot_20201129-142830.png
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Scrubbed the forums and didn't see an answer. Sorry if this is a repeat question and also if it's a dumb question.

Is it correct that the winch is a dealer installed option? If so, after seeing the way it blocks the front camera, what are everyone's thoughts on waiting till they fix that issue and having it installed after purchase, or would an aftermarket set up be better and potentially cheaper?
I think you have to pay extra to have the dealer install it. It is only eligible for the warranty if dealer-installed. It is overpriced, but you can include in loan (if that is important to you).

The description in B&P is odd. Claims steel cable, but improper fairlead appears in photos.

I plan to add a winch later myself, perhaps with the Ford mount, when available. I like the Ford mount - it doesn't block intercooler or compromise approach angle. I don't care about the camera, but assume that somebody will offer a solution of some sort.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Aftermarket will offer better and cheaper solutions. $2500 is ridiculous even if it includes a Warn winch. Once I get my hands on my Bronco I will design & fab a mount that won't interfere with the camera and probably be less than half that cost. And as another poster pointed out, it has the wrong fairlead for a steel cable.

Toffs

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Keep in mind, the winch that is included in the package is an excellent product. Additionally, the solenoid (control module sitting on top of the winch that mostly blocks camera) is designed to be removed and relocated elsewhere (engine compartment would work). Warn sells a control module relocation kit. It is worth a look to go on Warn’s site and watch the installation video.

Sponsored

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the same boat. Really wanted the winch and love the look. But I'm not willing to compromise the camera view. So Ford will be losing that money from me. I'll wait for someone to resolve this aftermarket. Dual tops - same. Sound deadening for hardtop - same. Figures it saves me close to 5k.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Quadratec Q-Performance Stealth winch is a very good synthetic line low profile winch that I will be looking at installing, 1/4 the price plus mount. With wireless or wired remote, a removable clutch lever (helps prevent line theft) and a spool light it is a good winch at a good price, beats paying out the nose for the Ford solution.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you have to pay extra to have the dealer install it. It is only eligible for the warranty if dealer-installed. It is overpriced, but you can include in loan (if that is important to you).

The description in B&P is odd. Claims steel cable, but improper fairlead appears in photos.

I plan to add a winch later myself, perhaps with the Ford mount, when available. I like the Ford mount - it doesn't block intercooler or compromise approach angle. I don't care about the camera, but assume that somebody will offer a solution of some sort.
No, you don't have to pay extra to have the dealer install it. Ford reimburses the dealership for the labor.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A winch, specifically the Warn Zeon 10S (synthetic rope), is a must have for me. That said, the Ford mounting solution is, um, unacceptable. I'm waiting for an aftermarket, lower-positioned option.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A winch, specifically the Warn Zeon 10S (synthetic rope), is a must have for me. That said, the Ford mounting solution is, um, unacceptable. I'm waiting for an aftermarket, lower-positioned option.
Would a lower positioned option block the intercooler?

Sponsored

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would a lower positioned option block the intercooler?
I can't remember seeing where it is at, but I suspect its is front of the radiator and AC condenser, not low (at or below the bumper).

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Where did you see that the factory warn winch doesn’t compromise the approach angle?

Jeffwomack

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is there a switch to control the winch?

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

OriginalIy this was a must have option for me. Not to mention I really like the way it looked on the build and price tool and the overland rig concept. I plan on using my Bronco in some fairly gnarly areas and see it as something I would use, just not sure it's worth it in it's current form. Thoughts???

Ford Bronco Winch questions - installed by dealer? Aftermarket winch better option? Screenshot_20201129-142830
Look what happened to TFL (YouTube) on their 2nd (!!!) Defender when the (Hack job...) Dealer tried to install the winch. Dealer Tech (Owner's drug addict son...?) chopped into the wiring harness....and VEHICLE A TOTAL WRECK. TFL on Defender #3 now....Better be careful who installs your winch.
Sponsored