Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still holding out on the mount option that I want to use for the badlands apex winch I picked up.

In the mean time my plan is to use a relay instead of or in conjunction with the main power switch that comes with the winch. Looking at 12v 500a relays I see ones that are designed with 4 posts and then hookups for a switch and then there is a remote starter relay.

Relay would be wired to an upfitter switch to activate the power as well.

Does anyone have any experience good/bad with one or the other style of relay?
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone have any experience good/bad with one or the other style of relay?
Starter relays are not typically rated for continuous duty, so that could be a problem if used for a winch. The starter relay may overheat if used for longer than 10sec or so.

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Trophy Truck 7.0L LSX
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A Gigavac 12volt sealed power contactor is what I use to control power to the winches. Rated at 500 amps. Part Number: GV200 BA. You can buy through Waytek Wire, Their Part No. 77078. $146.07ea. Works perfect. Also manufactured in the good old USA!

Last edited:

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still wanting to know the reasoning for connecting winch to aux. switch?

Sponsored

zane8stacks

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i just wired directly to the battery and there is no draw unless i turn on the winch. What is the upside to wiring to a switch?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd love to see how these would hold up. Been in use for diesels for starting or glow plug relays for years.
It's the "Go to" relay for long lasting trouble free performance.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SME7018601

Next up .... White/Rodgers makes continuous duty relays also. Quality company.
200A - continuous duty ...
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/White-Rodgers/586-105111?qs=oTUMjHQZwx3bgdvFsA1wbA==

My opinion, high dollar specialty relays/contactors are a waste of money.
Any general purpose automotive relay of the proper rating will suffice.
The electrons won't care.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the links and input. I was worried the starter relay may not be up to the continued use.

There is no real reason I want to do this/use a switch other than it is a want.

Main shutoff switch is more than adequate alone. I just want it...now if it proves problematic I will remove.

Sponsored

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone do this yet? I was thinking of using two switches maybe. ONe for in, one for out?

Cskyline

Base
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3500Ram
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes you can get a continuous duty starter relay

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the links and input. I was worried the starter relay may not be up to the continued use.

There is no real reason I want to do this/use a switch other than it is a want.

Main shutoff switch is more than adequate alone. I just want it...now if it proves problematic I will remove.
So I did this very thing. Purchased a Warn Relay they literally stated was for a winch....it burned up in under 10 minutes of intermittent use while just pulling my Bronco up my driveway to pretension the line. (And Warn doesn't warranty the part so I'm out that money)

Turned my efforts to Amazon and found a 500amp Battery Isolator that other people posted they specifically used for their winch successfully. Just got that installed, but haven't had a chance to really test it yet so the jury is still out...

500 Amp Battery Isolator for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HMDMLG

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i just wired directly to the battery and there is no draw unless i turn on the winch. What is the upside to wiring to a switch?
One day while wheeling in my Land Rover Discovery I got stuck bad in some snow. I hooked the winch to a tree and started winching. At one point while after I had disconnected I was spooling in the winch to reset. When I let go of the "In" button the winch continued to spool in. I disconnected the controller and it was still spooling in. There was roughly 30' before it got to the fairlead. I started to panic thinking it was going to get to the fairlead and start destroying stuff. I had no tools at hand. The only thing I could think of was disconnecting it from the battery but no tools. I then remembered I had a old crappy Leatherman in my console. Popped the hood and started removing the ground cable with winch connection. It was close, I had roughly 3' of line before the hook was to the fairlead. The winch contactor failed closed while spooling in. I now run a disconnect for this very reason.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still wanting to know the reasoning for connecting winch to aux. switch?
It's a safety that allows quick disconnect of power to the winch in the event the contactor welds shut providing constant power to the winch while reeling in or out. Rare, but it has happened. There is also a chance the power cable can become pinched from an impact and short. Again rare, but the switch just increases the safety factor 🤠 .

Edit;
I missed this post right above mine but a prime example. Glad you were fast enough @orion 😌
One day while wheeling in my Land Rover Discovery I got stuck bad in some snow. I hooked the winch to a tree and started winching. At one point while after I had disconnected I was spooling in the winch to reset. When I let go of the "In" button the winch continued to spool in. I disconnected the controller and it was still spooling in. There was roughly 30' before it got to the fairlead. I started to panic thinking it was going to get to the fairlead and start destroying stuff. I had no tools at hand. The only thing I could think of was disconnecting it from the battery but no tools. I then remembered I had a old crappy Leatherman in my console. Popped the hood and started removing the ground cable with winch connection. It was close, I had roughly 3' of line before the hook was to the fairlead. The winch contactor failed closed while spooling in. I now run a disconnect for this very reason.
Sponsored

Last edited: