Winch vs Lockers, Maxtrax, More Power Puller

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here is all my light-duty recovery gear. Most is around 30K pound working strength, but varies. I have another 125 pound bag with all the 50K pound gear.

you don’t have to have all this stuff, and I typically vary my gear load depending upon who else is wheeling with me and what gear they have. I will make a separate post and open this stuff all up and explain what and why I carry it. But my answer to your post is you or your group should carry gear designed to get you out of the terrain you are traveling in. Going to the store? Make sure your spare has air and the factory jack is still in the vehicle. Going to Moab? Some steel cable for going over rocks should be in your bag and I guarantee you a handyman isn’t going to be your best option when you are hung up sideways on a nasty hill! I am pretty sure all my recovery gear easily exceeds the cost of my Samurai, even with mods!

Ford Bronco Winch vs Lockers, Maxtrax, More Power Puller 608B333E-1A2C-4C7C-9FF7-2D4BD95D1CB9
Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

I went with a front mount receiver years back to launch a boat in unimproved launch areas then discovered it's great for a winch as well. Should be possible with a frame mounted steel bumper.

"Front mount hitches are the perfect addition to your vehicle when you require the use of a recovery winch, tow loop, putting your boat in the water, or other accessory. We offer a large selection of front mount receivers by popular manufacturers like Draw-Tite, Reese and Curt so you can find the one that is right for your application and your budget. All front mount receiver hitches we offer are made in the USA and come with a limited lifetime warranty."

https://www.etrailer.com/fitguidefm...MIpea8wIjl7wIViuKzCh0ArAnFEAAYASAAEgLcIvD_BwE

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right now, it is too early to tell for most to decide for or against a mounted winch. So far, we have seen Ford's prototype solutions and 4WP's effort. From the limited sample size and the way my engineering mindset tends to think, I do not see an easy workaround for winch mounting that will not run into some form of compromise or sacrifices. The 4WP option would completely block the front camera where as Ford's solution appears to impede some of its view. I also do not think Ford's solution would hamper its approach angle any more or less than similarly positioned aftermarket solutions. I am interested to see how Ford's solution deals with individuals with Broncos that possess front parking sensors.

I am curious to see how its competitors have been dealing with this type of situation... I know the JT has the option of a front facing camera and the JL will be able to have it now for the '21 model year. I suspect they would have similar, if not worse, issue since their bumpers sticks way out in front from the front grill. They also do not have the 360 view features with extra cameras.

I know the builds we've seen so far possess parts that are pre-production and may vary once released, but ARB looks to have done some serious homework!

I would take my time and see how everything plays out...

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what do you guys think of the ARB Bushranger?

Ford Bronco Winch vs Lockers, Maxtrax, More Power Puller 72X10_1359x906

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
what do you guys think of the ARB Bushranger?

Ford Bronco Winch vs Lockers, Maxtrax, More Power Puller 72X10_1359x906

Got one of those for my son in law for their camper , sometimes it's hard to find a good spot to lift from on the side of a road

He hasn't tried it but man that thing is heavy

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Here is an example of using a 12K winch to apply nearly 36K of pulling force on a stuck rig.
Thank you for the diagram @The Bronze, it is great to have those experienced in offroad recovery on the forum helping those of use new to to offroad. Before you posted I had gone off on a Google search trying to learn like @Headsong asked about. We need more of these kinds of how-to's to help fill in the long wait ahead. Here are a few links I found helpful.

Basic Recovery Configurations

9 ways to rig a 4x4 winch using 1 snatch block

6 ways to rig a 4x4 winch using 2 snatch blocks

Offroad Recovery Gear - What's a X-lock? Whats in my gear bag?!

Offroad Recovery Gear - What's an X-Lock Part 2

The Pull Pal Winch Anchor (Ground Anchors)

_b57454cb-0dc0-484f-8254-188229e42c01_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OK, walking the dog and trying to work this physics magic in my mind.

Why can't you just stick a decent block and tackle in, rather than running to different points and pulleys? So you have a solid point, string to your Power Puller, string that to a block and tackle, and to the truck? You could get away with a smaller PP....if you've got maybe 4:1 or 6:1 b/t?

I don't see why it needs to be complicated with lines running all over the place. But I'm a sailor and we hang deer, so my uses have been different!

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

OK, walking the dog and trying to work this physics magic in my mind.

Why can't you just stick a decent block and tackle in, rather than running to different points and pulleys? So you have a solid point, string to your Power Puller, string that to a block and tackle, and to the truck? You could get away with a smaller PP....if you've got maybe 4:1 or 6:1 b/t?

I don't see why it needs to be complicated with lines running all over the place. But I'm a sailor and we hang deer, so my uses have been different!
4:1 Mainsheet, ex-sailor here, but the experienced offroaders can help us learn the differences for winching, here are a few helpful links.

Expedition Portal: People think pulleys increase pulling power

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And so that makes my point exactly. If instead of using the snatch block on the tree (when he's pulling the Fiat out), you put a 4 or 6 pulley block and tackle there....you don't need heavy equipment...

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great info in this thread. Thank you to all who've posted.

I did order the winch for my Bronco. I use a Warn Zeon currently on my old Disco with synthetic rope. Actually use it more than you'd think. Not necessarily for me, but to pull others out who I wheel with.

This said, my Bronco will not be going where that Disco does today; no way for at least 5 years.

A winch is more of my safety blanket, so I can't see not having one on an off roader. My MaxTrax do the job most of the time, but in mud and wet ground, a winch is often necessary if you get dug in.

I also have the lux package, but only moderately care about the front camera. I won't be watching that camera when wheeling, the two side cameras that show the wheel placement; sure, but I use a spotter all the time and am in no rush on a trail.

My philosophy may be like many in that I plan for the worst I can possibly face while out in the sticks. The Southeast is wet very often, so muddy trails are common which do require more winching.

Other point is that Bronco's standard Squatch Goodyears don't appear to be that good for sure off roading, but more of a road MT that can handle light to mid off road duty. Meaning, traction will not be the best unless you upgrade those tires. I'll run them until they wear for 3 years or however long until I get tired of them.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Keep an eye out for bumper offerings from ARB and Expy-1. Both have made bumpers for other makes that are fully sensor compatible. Use a winch with a remote solenoid and that should solve the camera view issue. If you wheel in remote locations or wheel solo get a winch.
Sponsored