Sponsored

Winches - Converting from wire to synthetic.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello,

I have a Warn 9.5xp winch with a steel cable and am looking at the possibility of converting it to synthetic rope.

Besides changing the roller to a hawse fairlead, will I also have to change the drum? Do synthetics use a different style drum?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hello,

I have a Warn 9.5xp winch with a steel cable and am looking at the possibility of converting it to synthetic rope.

Besides changing the roller to a hawse fairlead, will I also have to change the drum? Do synthetics use a different style drum?

Thanks in advance for all replys.
No.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same drum... excellent choice to go with rope, just be sure to get a quality one.

OP
OP
Buckin Bronco

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same drum... excellent choice to go with rope, just be sure to get a quality one.
I have been looking at the Warn Spydura and Spydura Pro 3/8" x 100'.

Do you have any brands that you like?

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Master pull superline XD... Just feel like the extra abrasion resistance is good for me, but may not be necessary for everyone.

Sponsored

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been away from off-roading for 20 years... I’m pretty sure back then people would have laughed at the thought of winching with rope.

What a cool development. When did rope become as strong as wire cable? Did it take a lot of time to convince people it was just as strong? What’s the story there?

OP
OP
Buckin Bronco

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been away from off-roading for 20 years... I’m pretty sure back then people would have laughed at the thought of winching with rope.

What a cool development. When did rope become as strong as wire cable? Did it take a lot of time to convince people it was just as strong? What’s the story there?
Synthetic ropes are waaaaay stronger.

The Master Pull Superline XD 3/8" rope has a breaking strength of 21 700 pounds as where a Warn 5/16" wire cable is rated at only 9000 pounds (according to the Warn website).

Added bonus is that if your rope happens to break out on the trail, you can do a trail side repair and you don't comprise the integrity of the rope.

Bonus bonus, the weight savings for my winch model will be about 20 pounds switching from steel to synthetic.

Monkey

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition MAX, F-350, a Tesla, & More...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While synthetic is actually stronger in some ways, it's also a lot more vulnerable to abrasion. Just keep that in mind. I've had to repair a Warn synthetic line on my ATV as it lifts and lowers my snow plow and repeated contact over a short section was causing a lot of wear. So I hat to chop off the first few feat and redo the end.. Never had that with a steel winch cable. This winch cable lasted through 5 winters and 3 or 4 camping trips per year with light use. My previous ATV had a similar setup and easily saw double the mount of use each year for over 20 years and it still had the original steel winch cable on it when I sold it.

And yet, I kinda prefer the synthetic winch line as it's a lot easier to deal with in some ways. The weight savings is worth it.

OP
OP
Buckin Bronco

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very true, definitely have to watch it on the rocks. Maybe use one of those winch dampers/blankets and toss it under the rope when needed.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very true, definitely have to watch it on the rocks. Maybe use one of those winch dampers/blankets and toss it under the rope when needed.
I used to do a little rappelling back in the day. I would go to the fire department and they would give me sections of old fire hose to use for abrasion resistance on the rocks. I have never needed to replace them.

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello,

Thanks in advance for all replies.
if your drum has any imperfections caused by the cable you will want to smooth it out so it won’t damage your rope.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For Synthetic lines, I always make sure to carry something like this.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/warn/removable-rope-abrasion-sleeve-synthetic-winch-line
It has velcro over its full length so you attach it and slide it to the part of the line where it will potentially or is making contact with something that could cause damage the line slides through this, vs over the rock, etc....

When you switch from wire to synthetic it is very important to go to a nice long flat spot and spool the cable under load. An empty parking lot with a buddy's vehicle that has tow hooks is perfect.
But you could do it by attaching to a sturdy tree and pulling your vehicle to it while braking.

brosdom

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a Smittybilt rope sleeve. It is not very durable.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Smittybilt *insert any product.* It is not very durable.
I fixed this for you.
I will be objective and say there are some exceptions, but on average, this is a brand I avoid because you end up replacing it and that eliminates any money you have saved

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and may not be shared with anyone else

Last edited:

Giddyup Buttercup

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Have you ever been stabbed withe steel cable? The thought of that never being possible again probably was enough to convince 90% of people.
Sponsored