Vehicle(s)
2018 A4, 2013 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Simple word of caution:
Tinted front windows with XPEL Prime Plus 35%
  • No issues IMO with glare at night
Then I decided to tint windshield in same tint at 70%
  • It's been three days, but I may remove the tint when I take the truck back in for Stealth wrap next month. Here is my issue:
  • XPEL does not have a lighter shade of tint
  • Tint + fact that Ford ambient light sensor (see photo and same one used in Ranger) is on inside of windshield on the dash + rake of the windshield, means the sensor is not often in direct sun
  • The auto headlights keep turning on (and off) even during the day-I have the delay set to max at 20sec. I am not as concerned about the headlights being on, but when the headlights are on then both interior screens dim, and they are both controlled by the same instrument cluster buttons when the headlights are on. Changing brightness on the center 12in display does nothing when headlights are on. Even at max brightness the dim screens are annoying during the day when the sensor thinks the headlights should be on.
I like having either the daytime lights or headlights on, but the tint interfering so much with the ambient headlight sensor and the resulting screen dimming is annoying. I may try a lighter tint from 3M, but not sure. I have tinted most windshields in the past and never run into this issue, so just an FYI for those thinking about it.
Ford Bronco Window & Windshield Tint Caution Photo Dec 19, 12 13 37 PM
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My bronco headlights go on and off a lot during the day and I don't have tint on the window. I think it's because of how dark the interior is on the bronco.

OP
OP
Damien21

Damien21

First Edition
First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A4, 2013 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My bronco headlights go on and off a lot during the day and I don't have tint on the window. I think it's because of how dark the interior is on the bronco.
Thanks. I am going to give it a few weeks, but I did not notice it happening as much until after I tinted the windshield

OP
OP
Damien21

Damien21

First Edition
First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A4, 2013 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
There is a setting on the F150 in ForSCAN for this sensor. Hopefully The Bronco team can fid that setting. It will fix the issue.
Thanks. I am mildly hopeful. All I found the last few days was regarding the delay to switch the headlights on. I think older versions of SYNC did not allow the user to adjust, but SYNC4 does. Ran into a lot of bad news about that module having a set sensitivity/calibration and nothing can be done aside from adjusting the delay, but my fingers are crossed.

Sponsored

raybuck

First Edition
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My windshield has been tinted 50% for roughly 6 weeks on my FE without any issues. I’m not 100% sure the tint is what’s causing the lights to go on and off.

OP
OP
Damien21

Damien21

First Edition
First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A4, 2013 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My windshield has been tinted 50% for roughly 6 weeks on my FE without any issues. I’m not 100% sure the tint is what’s causing the lights to go on and off.
That's good to know. I'm not sure what the problem is then. Had truck for 3-4 weeks without any issue before the windshield was done. I'm leaving it for now

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Try aiming a light on it (from inside the cab) and see if it responds normally. If it does, it’s likely the tint. If not, it might be the sensor?

Just a low-tech idea that might help before you peel the tint off.

Kramku1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is it even legal to tint front windshield just curious hope you get to solve the problem. I leave the lights on auto myself and still waiting for my bronco

OP
OP
Damien21

Damien21

First Edition
First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A4, 2013 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Is it even legal to tint front windshield just curious hope you get to solve the problem. I leave the lights on auto myself and still waiting for my bronco
I believe it is illegal in CA and most other states. I have always done relatively light side tint (also illegal in CA), and as light as available on the windshield. I have never been pulled over for tint and think it needs to be egregious for a cop to stop you here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Damien21

Damien21

First Edition
First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A4, 2013 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Try aiming a light on it (from inside the cab) and see if it responds normally. If it does, it’s likely the tint. If not, it might be the sensor?

Just a low-tech idea that might help before you peel the tint off.
Thanks, and yup it is the tint. It seemed mostly okay today. I assume given how the sun is in winter, this might be the worse time of year.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally, I'd never tint my windshield. I noticed the side window tint in my car started to get a bit blurry before I replaced it. I wouldn't feel like I'm being a responsible driver driving around at night with tint that is starting to blur everything in front of me.

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Simple word of caution:
Tinted front windows with XPEL Prime Plus 35%
  • No issues IMO with glare at night
Then I decided to tint windshield in same tint at 70%
  • It's been three days, but I may remove the tint when I take the truck back in for Stealth wrap next month. Here is my issue:
  • XPEL does not have a lighter shade of tint
  • Tint + fact that Ford ambient light sensor (see photo and same one used in Ranger) is on inside of windshield on the dash + rake of the windshield, means the sensor is not often in direct sun
  • The auto headlights keep turning on (and off) even during the day-I have the delay set to max at 20sec. I am not as concerned about the headlights being on, but when the headlights are on then both interior screens dim, and they are both controlled by the same instrument cluster buttons when the headlights are on. Changing brightness on the center 12in display does nothing when headlights are on. Even at max brightness the dim screens are annoying during the day when the sensor thinks the headlights should be on.
I like having either the daytime lights or headlights on, but the tint interfering so much with the ambient headlight sensor and the resulting screen dimming is annoying. I may try a lighter tint from 3M, but not sure. I have tinted most windshields in the past and never run into this issue, so just an FYI for those thinking about it.
Ford Bronco Window & Windshield Tint Caution Photo Dec 19, 12 13 37 PM
I’m wondering if it’s because you used a very high quality tint on the windshield that rejects a lot of UV so the sensors are hardly getting the same amount of UV it did before?

DrewPeakoc

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Personally, I'd never tint my windshield. I noticed the side window tint in my car started to get a bit blurry before I replaced it. I wouldn't feel like I'm being a responsible driver driving around at night with tint that is starting to blur everything in front of me.
It could be from extreme UV- do you live in an area with a ridiculous amount of sunlight? Maybe your experience is from years ago, or you're using very low quality tint, or your installer didn't clean the glass properly or, you didn't use tint safe cleaner. It could also be any combination of these.

Just my thoughts.
Sponsored