Sponsored

Windows Don’t Auto-Roll Down When Frozen (To Open Doors)

TCPR46

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

*Edit:
just want to clarify, I have lived in places with winter, and I know ice and snow makes windows not want to roll down. The issue is the frameless windows and auto roll down, the motor strains when the door is opened and the window won’t roll down, even after clearing the ice.

- -

I’ve had my 2 door Black Diamond for a little under a month now, and I’m noticing a semi-serious issue.
When there is ice or snow, the windows don’t roll down so the doors can be opened.

I encountered this issue on a cross country drive two weeks ago, and mentioned it in my trip summary post.

We just had one of our first real snows of the year here in Salt Lake City, and I had the same issue.
I was prepared this time, leaving my ice scraper in my apartment so I wouldn’t have to open the doors to get it. But it didn’t matter. Even after clearing the built up ice and snow, and making sure the window was clear, it still failed to roll down properly when I opened the door.
Now there was a lot of ice, as it was rain earlier in the day, and switched to snow in the evening, but still, if you don’t have a garage and deal with snow this is a problem.

Not sure what the solutions are, other than making sure the window is COMPLETELY clear of all ice and snow.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Ford Bronco Windows Don’t Auto-Roll Down When Frozen (To Open Doors) CB9014F6-140A-41FB-B3B0-CF379437683D
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happens with almost every car or truck out there.
True it does, but it's also somewhat important that these roll down to clear the seal.

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Happens with almost every car or truck out there.
he's specifically talking about the fact that the frameless bronco windows have to roll down about an inch to clear the gasket when you open the door

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Several others having the same issue. Try putting a thin film of food grade silicone grease on the rubber gasket.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
he's specifically talking about the fact that the frameless bronco windows have to roll down about an inch to clear the gasket when you open the door
It's rubber, push on the weatherstrip to break the ice.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had this issue on my Audi. Although rare we get a ton of snow and ice here, it was an issue at times. Thank God for remove start... Usually that warmed things up enough.

Sponsored

Charky

Wildtrak
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Before remote starts, I ran an extension cord, thin enough to close the car door on it, with a timer on it, and placed a small space heater on the center console. Worked great, everything melted off and nice and toasty inside.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to laugh at your pain and I’d be pissed too but it’s still kinda funny.

OP
OP
TCPR46

TCPR46

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's rubber, push on the weatherstrip to break the ice.
I cleared all the ice out from between the gasket and glass as the base of the window, and it still didn’t roll properly. I think ice had built up where I couldn’t scrape it away.
I grew up in Maine so I’m very used to de-icing a car in the winter, but I feel like this is beyond an inconvenience
Sponsored