Sponsored

Windows Don’t Auto-Roll Down When Frozen (To Open Doors)

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I cleared all the ice out from between the gasket and glass as the base of the window, and it still didn’t roll properly. I think ice had built up where I couldn’t scrape it away.
I grew up in Maine so I’m very used to de-icing a car in the winter, but I feel like this is beyond an inconvenience
I've had many days where I couldn't open my doors, let alone roll down the windows on my F-350 and it doesn't have frameless windows. The only answer is to use the remote start. If you don't have remote start and you are at home, pour a cup of warm water over the weatherstrip to melt the ice.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Before remote starts, I ran an extension cord, thin enough to close the car door on it, with a timer on it, and placed a small space heater on the center console. Worked great, everything melted off and nice and toasty inside.
I've done that too as a manual trans owner. I was warned many times I was going to burn my car down. Maybe I would eventually?

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Probably kind of the nature of the beast. It's the price you pay for frameless removable doors which is badass. I can't believe they can even sell frameless removable door vehicles anymore given the state of Nancy-ness in the world. Just remove the doors and enjoy while you still can.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Before remote starts, I ran an extension cord, thin enough to close the car door on it, with a timer on it, and placed a small space heater on the center console. Worked great, everything melted off and nice and toasty inside.
There are heaters that are especially made for cars, probably safer than a regular space heater.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yank on the damn door... Lol
It'll unstick and the window will drop. The window goes up into a groove that's at MOST 5mm deep. It's by design that you can still open the door even if it doesn't manage to drop beforehand. 🤷
If it doesn't roll down, its because you didn't open it and unstick it from the seals.
A framed window freezes WAY harder than this.

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Many of you don't understand. The window is not stuck to the rubber. If it's anything like my truck, here in northern Wisconsin, the window mechanism is frozen inside the door. Moisture gets inside the door and freezes during our cold nights. If I ever get a Bronco, I'll probably deal with this for about 4 months each year.

StormtrooperS225

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it's freezing at the bottom of the window get a thin plastic about 8" long and about the width of your hand make shore its smooth then you slip it between the window and the weather striping and just run it along the length of the window. Just be carful
the same thing happens to me all the time when its cold and wet

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done that too as a manual trans owner. I was warned many times I was going to burn my car down. Maybe I would eventually?
Great, now someone is going to attempt to start a fire in a tin can the night before to keep their vehicle warm overnight.

(Disclaimer: Do not attempt)

Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I cleared all the ice out from between the gasket and glass as the base of the window, and it still didn’t roll properly. I think ice had built up where I couldn’t scrape it away.
I grew up in Maine so I’m very used to de-icing a car in the winter, but I feel like this is beyond an inconvenience
I'm in SLC too - on the plus side if I ever get my bronco it'll give me a reason to kick the wife's car out of the garage - "but honey, the doors won't open....."

I'm more concerned about the ski days - even on my subaru the doors can be tough after sitting in the parking lot all day in a blizzard with just enough heat in the car when you park it to melt then freeze everything in place.

Does the back open?

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Many of you don't understand. The window is not stuck to the rubber. If it's anything like my truck, here in northern Wisconsin, the window mechanism is frozen inside the door. Moisture gets inside the door and freezes during our cold nights. If I ever get a Bronco, I'll probably deal with this for about 4 months each year.
I doubt it is the window regulator that is freezing. More likely that the felt or run channel has accumulated water and then froze.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve had my 2 door Black Diamond for a little under a month now, and I’m noticing a semi-serious issue.
When there is ice or snow, the windows don’t roll down so the doors can be opened.

I encountered this issue on a cross country drive two weeks ago, and mentioned it in my trip summary post.

We just had one of our first real snows of the year here in Salt Lake City, and I had the same issue.
I was prepared this time, leaving my ice scraper in my apartment so I wouldn’t have to open the doors to get it. But it didn’t matter. Even after clearing the built up ice and snow, and making sure the window was clear, it still failed to roll down properly when I opened the door.
Now there was a lot of ice, as it was rain earlier in the day, and switched to snow in the evening, but still, if you don’t have a garage and deal with snow this is a problem.

Not sure what the solutions are, other than making sure the window is COMPLETELY clear of all ice and snow.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

CB9014F6-140A-41FB-B3B0-CF379437683D.jpeg
I've had this issue on my Challenger for years when I have to park it outside in foul weather. The way I get around it is to crack the window JUST a hair whenever I put up the Wipers to keep them from sticking to the windshield. It will still seal, just not fully imbedded in the seal - just enough to keep out blowing snow. I don't like to idle my car to let it 'warm up', but once it has the passenger window opens and closes just fine.

Better than breaking the Weatherstrip or window on a cold day.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First of all, that’s not snow and ice you’re experiencing; it’s actually catastrophic global warming. Snow and ice ended in 2014. 😂

That being said, thanks for bringing up this issue. As has been said above, I’ve had all the door on my F150 frozen shut at the end of the ski day, sometimes with a foot or two of snow on top of the truck to help matters. A healthy yank on the door has been the solution. On my 2009 F150 this usually pulled the weather stripping off the track around the top of the door, but didn’t tear the rubber. It’s pretty tough stuff. The weather seal on the 2019 is better designed and seems to stay in place.

My question, with this in mind - can we yank on the Bronco doors with the window auto-drop to break the freeze-up without damaging the window motor?