Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Along I-10 between Yuma, AZ & San Antonio, TX I have had the pleasure of getting probably two dozen chips and cracks over the last decade. This crosses my m8nd as I'm barreling down I-10 headed for Tucson and recieve a kiss from the asphalt gods. My insurance has been super awesome about it, but I'm REALLY nervous about taking the new Bronco out of the garage due to limited production stock let alone repair stock.
Anyone else? Or at the least anyone know if Ford has addressed this?

5ddc896a62ae970891eb618f7d600d76.jpg
Sponsored

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you looked into ExoShield or ClearPlex?

Fleet vehicles for a buddy's company out in Odessa and Midland, TX all have the windshields treated with ClearPlex Maxxion to keep from catching chips and breaks.

Works pretty good. Small stuff like pebbles and lost bolts will just bounce off the windshield and leave a little scuff. Unless you're really hauling ass or catch a golf ball sized rock you should be good.

Edit: I'm wrong. It's not ClearPlex they use, remembered that he switched over to Maxxion last year.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Reviving an older thread. Anyone have experience with any of the clear films that you apply to the exterior of windshields. Considering Maxxion based on what brief reading I've done today.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Along I-10 between Yuma, AZ & San Antonio, TX I have had the pleasure of getting probably two dozen chips and cracks over the last decade. This crosses my m8nd as I'm barreling down I-10 headed for Tucson and recieve a kiss from the asphalt gods. My insurance has been super awesome about it, but I'm REALLY nervous about taking the new Bronco out of the garage due to limited production stock let alone repair stock.
Anyone else? Or at the least anyone know if Ford has addressed this?

Ford Bronco Windshield chip /crack / replacement inventory concerns 5ddc896a62ae970891eb618f7d600d76
Gorillaglass

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well, I-10 struck our Bronco coming home to Destin from dealer pickup in Alabama July 30th. USAA had Safelite come out August 16th to replace, no deductible in Florida, the ban pulls up and the tech has a puzzled look on his face? He opens the back of his van and a Bronco Sport windshield is ready to install! We both kind of laughed. Especially since he had the VIN and everything!

Still waiting, but now I'm kind of getting to like it, like my own 'Easter Egg'!

If you read in the Detroit News, 'Bronco waiting outside assembly plant for new Hartop has Windshield Stolen', you didn't see this!!!

IMG_20210729_095353.jpg

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, I-10 struck our Bronco coming home to Destin from dealer pickup in Alabama July 30th. USAA had Safelite come out August 16th to replace, no deductible in Florida, the ban pulls up and the tech has a puzzled look on his face? He opens the back of his van and a Bronco Sport windshield is ready to install! We both kind of laughed. Especially since he had the VIN and everything!

Still waiting, but now I'm kind of getting to like it, like my own 'Easter Egg'!

If you read in the Detroit News, 'Bronco waiting outside assembly plant for new Hartop has Windshield Stolen', you didn't see this!!!

Ford Bronco Windshield chip /crack / replacement inventory concerns IMG_20210729_095353
At least the chip/crack isn't in your field of vision. And I've never driven I-10 without catching a rock. I have 3 chips in my windshield from my last trip down the corridor.
And while you are correct about the no deductible windshield replacement in Florida, it still counts as a claim on your insurance which will ultimately lead to higher premiums.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Talk to your insurance company and the local windshield repair place.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

With one relatively minor accident by my wife combined with two windshield replacements (over 5 yrs), State Farm dropped us. Well dropped collision and comprehensive, so that effectively drops us. We're going to try our best not to make a claim on windshields.

Hence the desire to add a film on the windshield...on topic, anyone?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With one relatively minor accident by my wife combined with two windshield replacements (over 5 yrs), State Farm dropped us. Well dropped collision and comprehensive, so that effectively drops us. We're going to try our best not to make a claim on windshields.

Hence the desire to add a film on the windshield...on topic, anyone?
I know I was hit with higher premiums from a few years ago. They should come off my history by the time the Bronco arrives for insurance so I've been avoiding getting them repaired. They aren't spreading and just look like crap. I don't want to file a claim so close to getting the Bronco.

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
At least the chip/crack isn't in your field of vision. And I've never driven I-10 without catching a rock. I have 3 chips in my windshield from my last trip down the corridor.
And while you are correct about the no deductible windshield replacement in Florida, it still counts as a claim on your insurance which will ultimately lead to higher premiums.
Agreed! What is it with that interstate and rock chips?

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed! What is it with that interstate and rock chips?
It's crazy cause I usually catch the rocks in LA or MS (I run the I-10 connection from Jax to Houston). The last time when I was returning, I made it the entire stretch except for the last 15 miles when I caught 2 in one after another. I just give up with replacement unless it is really bad and affecting visibility. Thankfully, the recent 2 chips are on the passenger side. There they will stay when I trade it in.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got a chip today. 10 days and 300 miles on the clock. Ugh. Luckily it’s small enough that it should be able to be filled.
I posted on FB and a guy claimed his got a big crack and the whole window needs to be replaced. Quoted a 6-8 month lead time😳

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With the propensity of vehicles that are shaped like a brick to catch a rock and the lead time mentioned above on replacement, has anyone given any thought into buying a kit for DIY chip repair? I've had claims filed where Safelite only filled the chip and it didn't seem like that involved of a process.

I've seen the kits from JB Weld, 3M, or RainX. But they just look like super glue. Is there a DIY kit that replicates the process that Safelite uses where pressure is exerted to ensure the compound completely fills the affected area and not leave a "speed-bump" of residual compound on the windshield?

I'm thinking it would come in handy where chips don't need replacement and filing a claim that may result in higher premiums over time just doesn't make sense with the frequency of chip repairs.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reviving an older thread. Anyone have experience with any of the clear films that you apply to the exterior of windshields. Considering Maxxion based on what brief reading I've done today.
I can only speak to how well Maxxion works. Very well.

I have a friend that uses them in West Texas for all of his fleet vehicles. they catch a LOT of rocks out there from semitrucks and equipment trucks.
He was using ClearPlex, but switched and I can't be 100% certain why.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I can only speak to how well Maxxion works. Very well.

I have a friend that uses them in West Texas for all of his fleet vehicles. they catch a LOT of rocks out there from semitrucks and equipment trucks.
He was using ClearPlex, but switched and I can't be 100% certain why.
Great feedback. How well does it work with wipers? Do they need to do anything extra like regular blade cleaning to avoid damaging the film?

I've never considered using a film on the windshield before, but the Bronco may be my first. I replaced 3 windshields in my FJCruiser and one on my Tacoma. The FJ has more upright glass like the Bronco and they don't seem to shed rocks or foreign objects well.
Sponsored