First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
google
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One of our first real snow events here in Colorado Foothills Friday, and the washer, front and back ceased working. Didn't get a "low fluid" warning, but filled with half gallon anyway (so wasn't empty).
Since there was no pump sound, I assumed blown fuse. BIG ISSUE with no chart on underside of fuse box, had to spend 30 minutes on the ridiculous electronic owners manual search. That's so lame.
Anyway, discovered that front and back washer pumps are #16 under hood. Pulled it, was burnt out. Didn't see any "spare" 10 AMP fuses, so poached the sway bar disconnect, which my Wildtrac doesn't have.
So need to get a spare fuse kit, and now wonder, has anyone else experienced fuse blow with minor washer usage? Seems like a bug, as I sure wouldn't want to be on a long blizzard trip with no washer motor.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just going to put this out there but is it possible the fluid was frozen? It's not unheard of to see this happen from the factory or after it's been topped off especially if it doesn't have enough methanol or other anti freezing additive. Not saying this is what happened, just a theory.

Theories #2 & #3 are the motor is bad and caused the overload or possibly the wire between the relay and motor is shorting to ground.

OP
OP
SeldomSeen

SeldomSeen

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
google
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good theories. I don't think I have actually added any fluid since factory, so maybe they use cheap fluid that freezes? They are from Michigan (FORDs), I think, so would seem odd since that's a cold place in winter. Hope the 1/2 gallon I added will help if that the issue.

For #2 & 3, guess we'll see if it blow's again. Sounds like a warranty issue to me.

Anyone have thoughts on spare FUSES? Didn't seem to find any Ford specific fuses, so I guess I get the cheap Commie type from Autoparts.

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I have a similar issue. Washers worked last week, ran out of fluid. Refilled it , now no fluid comes out. There is no hum of the motor trying. I was looking for the fuse in the electronic manual I downloaded but there is no listing for the front motor, only the rear. I'll give fuse a replacement and see if that works.

I have to say, I have never in my life had to replace a fuse for a washer fluid motor.
Ford Bronco Windshield Washer FUSE blown - Why? 1671182494617

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My fluid pump went. Going in for warranty replacement on Thursday. My fuses were fine, so I guess the pump is just crap. This is not the first instance I’ve read about this. Salty roads this week too. Guess I’ll carry around a spray bottle of wiper fluid. Haha.

But, 30 min? C’mon. Searched “fuse” and it took 5 - tops.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SeldomSeen

SeldomSeen

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
google
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My fluid pump went. Going in for warranty replacement on Thursday. My fuses were fine, so I guess the pump is just crap. This is not the first instance I’ve read about this. Salty roads this week too. Guess I’ll carry around a spray bottle of wiper fluid. Haha.

But, 30 min? C’mon. Searched “fuse” and it took 5 - tops.
To clarify, whole time was approx 30 as i was trying to download to phone a HARD COPY as many times when I’d need it, I won’t have internet. I’m not that iphone savvy so all i could seem to do was save bookmark link to web based copy. Give me a fuse chart under the lid. Pretty basic.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To clarify, whole time was approx 30 as i was trying to download to phone a HARD COPY as many times when I’d need it, I won’t have internet. I’m not that iphone savvy so all i could seem to do was save bookmark link to web based copy. Give me a fuse chart under the lid. Pretty basic.
@StickerFab makes a decal for the cover.

https://www.stickerfab.com/collecti...ies-underhood-fuse-box-lid-labels-2021-bronco

And one for under dash

https://www.stickerfab.com/collecti...r-understeering-wheel-fuses-label-2021-bronco

Bronqo

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same thing just happened to me. Drove from San Diego to Tahoe washer fluid worked fine. Next morning after freezing night temps, washer fluid wouldn’t work. Tried refilling reservoir, no luck. Checked fuse and it was blown.

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I have a similar issue. Washers worked last week, ran out of fluid. Refilled it , now no fluid comes out. There is no hum of the motor trying. I was looking for the fuse in the electronic manual I downloaded but there is no listing for the front motor, only the rear. I'll give fuse a replacement and see if that works.

I have to say, I have never in my life had to replace a fuse for a washer fluid motor.
Ford Bronco Windshield Washer FUSE blown - Why? 1671182494617
It ended up being a blown fuse. Apparently this isn't the only thread on the windshield washer having issues.

bjswifty

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Recently had this happen to me, only thing I can think of is the -10 degree weather we had where I drove into work and I'm guessing the fluid froze, as flip had suggested above. Sure enough, the fuse was blown when I decided to finally check it. I'm guessing I'll just replace the fluid with a better quality fluid that won't freeze, the scenario makes sense as to what happened.

Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Experienced this today also, was out in temperatures around 15*F overnight, and my fluid (summer blend) froze over. Attempted to spray my windshield and ended up blowing fuse #16. Replaced it & all is well now.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s lame. How long have cars had wipers and fluid in very cold places?

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

+1 on the blown washer fluid pump fuse. Yes I did not have winter fluid and it likely froze (my water bottle froze and it was 17F at 4am). Not to mention my butt was FREEZING in my tent.

But I’ve had many cars and have forgotten to use winter fluid that freezes. But it never has killed the washer pump or the fuse. This is a very strange design and one likely to hit people when they need the washers to work. Of course they only work if the fluid thaws or you get the winter washer fluid. But dang blowing a fuse is odd.

The manual claims there’s a spare 10amp fuse (spot 21). But in reality it wasn’t there in my Bronco. Oh well. Off to get some spare fuses! For now I just used an upfitter switch fuse.

And thanks again @StickerFab for the fuse box label sticker. First mod I bought. Heh.
Sponsored