Advertisement

Winter Tires for 2021 Bronco

pan-y-cerveza

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm in daydream mode right now. Planning way ahead.

I'll be grabbing a Badlands, which looks to come with KO2s. Reading reviews for them it sounds like they're pretty good in the snow when new but quickly wear to the point where they are not so good.

I'm a firm believer in a second set of dedicated winters. Both for safety and for wear purposes.

Where I live it gets very cold. -40. They don't always plow and just sand over the icy-packed snow at intersections. What's a solid snow tire for a Bronco that's close in size?

I use studded tires on my truck now. It's the only way I can even get my truck moving at an intersection some days.

Advertisement

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Tremor, 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis

I'll be grabbing a Badlands, which looks to come with KO2s. Reading reviews for them it sounds like they're pretty good in the snow when new but quickly wear to the point where they are not so good.

I'm a firm believer in a second set of dedicated winters. Both for safety and for wear purposes.

Where I live it gets very cold. -40. They don't always plow and just sand over the icy-packed snow at intersections. What's a solid snow tire for a Bronco that's close in size?

I use studded tires on my truck now. It's the only way I can even get my truck moving at an intersection some days.
look for anything nokian makes.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Tremor, 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/by-tire-size/winter-tires/?s=285-70-17

Dads_bronze_bronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / 00 TJ
The Duratracs on my Jeeps are great in the snow and even are stud ready. The Territories look like the same tread. I would call either a real mud tread, but the blocks are more open then most A/Ts.

So non-Squatch Badlands comes with KO2s or you can choose the 285/70 “MT”s. I’m thinking those Territory MTs may be the better choice.

OP
pan-y-cerveza

pan-y-cerveza

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Ran the Alcan 5000 Winter Rally this year (up the Alcan, Demptster, and Dalton Hwys in February) on the Nokian LT3 studded. Great tires, probably can't do better for a winter tire for a truck/SUV.
That's a good enough review right there.

It's always been my plan once we had a vehicle that wasn't a clunker to drive that route. I've been up the ice road from Fort McMurray, AB to Fort Smith, NWT but that's the furtherst north I've been.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Sahara
The Duratracs on my Jeeps are great in the snow and even are stud ready.
True for snow (I run BFG M/T). On icy roads a set of winter tires on a Mini Countryman behaves so much better than the Jeep on ice! Those vehicles (Jeep & Co.) are good thick snow, not on ice...

Spudly

First Edition
First Name
Brett
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, Gladiator Overland, RX350
Agreed on a dedicated set of snow tires. I70 to Breck/WP/Vail/Steamboat/Keystone/Aspen etc and I80 to Jackson Hole can get super gnarly. Re: Nokian, put Hakkapeliitta R3s on my Lexus GX460 this ski season. They seriously outperformed previous Blizzaks and X-Ices. Won’t go back.

I may pass on First Edition and go fully optioned Badlands sans Squatch since 35s seem like overkill for my use case and can’t find dedicated snows in that size. 33s will probably be better for DD.

Cooper came out with the Snow Claw (studdble) 2nd quarter this year. Available in 33/285-70-17.

i did check out the Nokian LT3s, they have them pictured non-studded but can’t find info on website.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / 00 TJ
True for snow (I run BFG M/T). On icy roads a set of winter tires on a Mini Countryman behaves so much better than the Jeep on ice! Those vehicles (Jeep & Co.) are good thick snow, not on ice...
That is where a 4dr will be safer than a 2dr as well.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Duratracs do ok on snow (like actual snow) but pretty poorly on what we typically have here in CO (ice or thin slippery layer). I recently got rid of my old daily and only run my 4x4 now so I'll probably end up having to get winter tires for it. The same will probably be the case with the bronco.

HoosierDaddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 1968 Bronco, 2010 Legacy GT 1985 M1028 (Chevy
Vehicle Showcase
Bridgestone makes a LT type winter tire also. Same tire as their Blizzaks with a deeper tread.
I have them on my Outback.
I get 4 years out of both sets running g them that way. (winters/summers)

42green

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150 Regular Cab 4x4 Manual
Bridgestone Blizzaks and Goodyear Ultragrip Ice have always been front runners for me on cars.

I’ve also lucked into some used Nokians and they are great as well

Advertisement

Advertisement