Keebs64

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had this issue since day-one with my '22 Black Diamond. It's very frustrating, and very dangerous. I submitted a NHTSA report yesterday.

I've owned/driven cars for 35 years in Buffalo, NY where we get plenty of wet and frozen precipitation and I've never had to replace a wiper motor (even with regularly using the wipers to clear heavy snow from the windshield). So my question to Ford would be- What issue is this 'Smart Wiper' system supposed to be solving?? Seems to me like it's a poor solution to no problem.
Sponsored

HoosierMan

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BASEQUATCH, 2011 MUSTANG GT, 2014 F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've had this issue since day-one with my '22 Black Diamond. It's very frustrating, and very dangerous. I submitted a NHTSA report yesterday.

I've owned/driven cars for 35 years in Buffalo, NY where we get plenty of wet and frozen precipitation and I've never had to replace a wiper motor (even with regularly using the wipers to clear heavy snow from the windshield). So my question to Ford would be- What issue is this 'Smart Wiper' system supposed to be solving?? Seems to me like it's a poor solution to no problem.
Exactly what I was thinking! I have never burned up a wiper motor on any of my vehicles and I have never owned anything but Fords!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I just experienced this same issue on my brand new Raptor today during a snow storm :(
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

nickjaynes

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, 2022 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have had the same issue as everyone else here. '22 Outerbanks that I picked up in October. After putting the wipers in either low or high, they would slow down and default back to intermittent after about 30 seconds (the work order says 10 minutes but that's incorrect). I had my dealer replace the wiper motor today, and I just drove it home in a rain/sleet storm and they now work correctly. Attached is the work order with the part number. Hopefully, this helps others.

IMG_1214.jpeg
Can you test a few times for us and report back? I will replace the motor at my own cost, since dealer won't do it under warranty. But I want to know yours 100% fixed by the replacement before I do. Thank you!

Sponsored

bigblockfox545

Black Diamond
First Name
jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 FOX 2009 M3 2008 STI 2005 F350 2018 OB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Add me to the list. oct 31 build date. 2022 black diamond sasquatch. 1500km. mine only as this problem on the low constant speed. thought it was based on vehicle speed but thats not the case. definitely need a fix for this. personally leaning towards a programming issue more that a hard part failure but will see

vbrad26

Outer Banks
First Name
Vance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW's and now a Ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is killing me. I really need to check this.
I have had the car for 2.5 months and have yet to drive in rain.
I'm about to just go run a hose down the windshield and see for myself.
I was under the impression (from reading here) that it would slow down on all speeds, bus is that not the case?
In the last page or so it seems like it is only a problem on the lower, or intermittent speeds?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I experienced this for the 1st time last night in a snowstorm. It is unnerving for sure, fiddling w/the switch got them back to wiping, but, definitely an unwanted distraction when driving un bad weather conditions. Certainly I see the safety risk! Mine is a '22. Feb 22 built, ice mtn till July

Kayphix

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't driven in bad weather yet but I do notice when I run the windshield wiper fluid, the last swipe is very slow when there is no water left on the windshield.

Sponsored

Fordgrl99

Wildtrak
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve had the same problem with my 23 Wildtrak since I got it mid-Dec. Finally decided to take it in a couple weeks ago. Had the service manager come out and watch. Ultimately he said the tech typed in the description of the issue and it came back with 1700 reports of the same thing. He said he would not be surprised it if becomes a recall. They ordered a new motor for mine and expect it in 3-5 days.

ArtP

Outer Banks
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can you test a few times for us and report back? I will replace the motor at my own cost, since dealer won't do it under warranty. But I want to know yours 100% fixed by the replacement before I do. Thank you!
We're supposed to get rain later this week, so I'll report back on how they're working. It's ridiculous we're out here trying to find solutions and need feedback from Ford. My dealer was great about this and did it for free under warranty, so I was OK with them just trying something. But honestly, they weren't sure either and were just willing to give it a shot.

nickjaynes

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, 2022 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We're supposed to get rain later this week, so I'll report back on how they're working. It's ridiculous we're out here trying to find solutions and need feedback from Ford. My dealer was great about this and did it for free under warranty, so I was OK with them just trying something. But honestly, they weren't sure either and were just willing to give it a shot.
I agree with you. It’s crazy we’re finding fixes. That said, would you wanna be a hero and, instead of waiting for rain, test it with the garden hose? I’ll buy you a beer!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have had the same issue as everyone else here. '22 Outerbanks that I picked up in October. After putting the wipers in either low or high, they would slow down and default back to intermittent after about 30 seconds (the work order says 10 minutes but that's incorrect). I had my dealer replace the wiper motor today, and I just drove it home in a rain/sleet storm and they now work correctly. Attached is the work order with the part number. Hopefully, this helps others.

IMG_1214.jpeg
Okay everyone!

2022 Bronco Badlands 2-Door, built in Nov 2022, took delivery Dec 2023. We had the wiper issue since Day 1.

Today, I requested the dealership change out the wiper motor - it fixed it!
Tested it four times today, all good!

This is my new thinking on this whole thing, I'm not 100% on all of it, but these are my thoughts:

1. The Bronco sort of has "rain sensing" wipers, in the INTERVAL MODE ONLY, in that they are more like "not-enough-rain sensing" as there is some sort of circuitry that looks at the wiper current draw when wiping on a windshield that doesn't have too much rain on it. After the wiper motor change, the interval settings still seem to slow down the actual wiping speed of the arms and lengthen the wiper interval when the rain intensity slows down. Now after wiper motor change out, if the rain intensity goes up, the wipers quicken their sweep speed and shorten their interval.

2. After the new wiper motor change-out, the constant run normal speed and constant run high-speed work as you would expect, constant run, without pulling back power in about twenty seconds or so (no reduction in wipe speed or going into interval-like mode!). It was awesome to see. The Bronco went from being 99% awesome today to 100% awesome.

We will report back in days/weeks to come to let you know it is still holding or not. Fingers crossed, feels like a winner.

It is as if some circuitry bits were a bit not right in the factory motor, in my non-expert, just-a-driver opinion.

I think we may be #3 on this forum to report the new wiper motor did the trick. A big "Thank You" to those first couple of owners leading the way.

Hooray!

Last edited:

Gfsteam

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have this issue from day one. Took delivery last month drive home in the rain plying with wipers all the way home. I sent info to whoever is monitoring Fords social media account started a case file crickets. I am waiting for more information because I’m not excited about a dealer ripping through my new Bronco with out a solid solution.
Sponsored