35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine is still in the shop with parts on backorder with no sign of progress. I called the @Ford rep and they haven’t responded. The dealership they suggested near me seem to care so little they’re annoyed when I call or ask.

This genuinely makes me regret the purchase a bit.

they also said they fixed the door glass rattling against the frame but I tried all 4 and it still sounds like with the right bump it will shatter.

this is a nightmare. I waited 3 years and spent almost 50k for this.
Sponsored

Frankie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford’s bulletin says the wipers should only slow down if there’s an obstruction, it’s overheating, or the windshield is dry. Right?

Because it seems like the dealers are misinterpreting this as any slow down working as intended even if the windshield is wet.

My dealer initially rejected this as working as intended but after I showed them the video they agreed it wasn’t right and ordered me a new wiper motor. Will update once it’s installed.
It's installed, supposedly. Probably won't rain for months now. Maybe I'll try and test with the hose.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
According to Ford, there is no problem. Wipers working as designed.
Of course they are, when turned off. It's when its a driving rain and I have them on high speed and they stop completely on their own, that's the problem.

One of Ford's better ideas, unlike back in '70's they stole Robert Kearns first intermittent wiper idea claiming it to be there own. The guy was persistant to sue them and finally won the suit after years of legal battling. Then went on to sue Chrysler and others.

HoosierMan

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT & 2014 F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe I missed it, is there any TSB issued for this problem?
No, so far they have only issued an SSM (Special Service Message). It has been updated to include 2023 models now.

SSM 50692

2021-2022 Bronco vehicles are equipped with a smart windshield wiper motor, which has the capability of sensing load of the wiper blades coming across the windshield glass. As a result of this operational characteristic/design, the operation may not be what is expected in certain conditions. The vehicle is programmed with protection features to prevent damage to the wiper motor in case of overheating, operation with dry windshields, or obstructions to the wiper blade (snow, ice, etc.). In such conditions, the wiper motor will temporarily reduce its speed and/or reduce area of cleaning until the condition is no longer present.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, so far they have only issued an SSM (Special Service Message). It has been updated to include 2023 models now.

SSM 50692

2021-2022 Bronco vehicles are equipped with a smart windshield wiper motor, which has the capability of sensing load of the wiper blades coming across the windshield glass. As a result of this operational characteristic/design, the operation may not be what is expected in certain conditions. The vehicle is programmed with protection features to prevent damage to the wiper motor in case of overheating, operation with dry windshields, or obstructions to the wiper blade (snow, ice, etc.). In such conditions, the wiper motor will temporarily reduce its speed and/or reduce area of cleaning until the condition is no longer present.
Or until driver crashes vehicle due to poor visibility!

At which point in time the wipers will run continuously until wiper switch is turned off.

Sponsored

Teke

Base
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Noticed this issue on mine the other morning in some freezing rain. Super annoying and dangerous

montross

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond MT SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i picked up my car last friday and it rained over the weekend which I got the experience the wiper blade issue. It would start off fine then it would slowly stop. its a very weird thing. my bronco is a MY23

Bronco B

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BD, 2017 Indian Chief Darkhorse
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i picked up my car last friday and it rained over the weekend which I got the experience the wiper blade issue. It would start off fine then it would slowly stop. its a very weird thing. my bronco is a MY23
Sadly @Ford Motor Company either cannot or will not recognize this as a problem. Please use the links on page 1 to report the issue:

UPDATE 2/20/22. Due to the large number of similar issues with wiper controls among Bronco owners in this forum. Please report to your local governing body before someone seriously gets hurt.
For Canadians:
For Americans:

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I haven't been able to get into the shop to get my dealership's opinion, but I have taken a few videos to document exactly what it looks like. I've also tested it and timed it. Happens after 20-50 seconds in the three highest settings, including the quickest intermittent setting. May also occur in slower intermittent settings, but I didn't check them.

YouTube of it happening

montross

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond MT SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sadly @Ford Motor Company either cannot or will not recognize this as a problem. Please use the links on page 1 to report the issue:

UPDATE 2/20/22. Due to the large number of similar issues with wiper controls among Bronco owners in this forum. Please report to your local governing body before someone seriously gets hurt.
For Canadians:
For Americans:

will do! I got the manual so i cant use another hand to adjust the wiper blades while shifting.

Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for those that have brought their Bronco into the dealership for wiper issues.

Are your dealerships holding the vehicle? As in refusing to return it to you for a problem they can’t fix? If that’s the case I may remove the windshield review request from my upcoming appointment.

I don’t want to paint myself into a situation where my truck is held hostage for an issue that they have no idea how to fix, or for parts that are back ordered, and said parts won’t actually remedy this situation.

Frankie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question for those that have brought their Bronco into the dealership for wiper issues.

Are your dealerships holding the vehicle? As in refusing to return it to you for a problem they can’t fix? If that’s the case I may remove the windshield review request from my upcoming appointment.

I don’t want to paint myself into a situation where my truck is held hostage for an issue that they have no idea how to fix, or for parts that are back ordered, and said parts won’t actually remedy this situation.
Ford doesn't even seem to think it's a problem so it'd be up to your individual dealership that would hold it hostage so no way anyone else would know unless they'd taken it to the same dealership, but I really doubt they care enough to do what you're saying.

My dealership returned my Bronco to me and then I took it back in when the new wiper motor came in. Seemed like they got the wiper motor from another dealership that had it in stock based on what they told me, took about a week.

Anyone else notice the conspicuous absence of comments lately in this thread from the forum Ford rep?

Gfsteam

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford doesn't even seem to think it's a problem so it'd be up to your individual dealership that would hold it hostage so no way anyone else would know unless they'd taken it to the same dealership, but I really doubt they care enough to do what you're saying.

My dealership returned my Bronco to me and then I took it back in when the new wiper motor came in. Seemed like they got the wiper motor from another dealership that had it in stock based on what they told me, took about a week.

Anyone else notice the conspicuous absence of comments lately in this thread from the forum Ford rep?
Exactly because @Ford is doing nothing about it. I keep getting notices from NHTSA about bronco transmission, steering etc. none effecting my VIN. There are 42 complaints about wiper issue. By far the most of all consumer reports. However, seems quite low to me. Please take the time to document with NHTSA there must be a magic number before they take action unless Ford ponies up on their own

Last edited:

ronnyek

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang PP2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In California we've had some freakish rain lately. In my bronco the wipers fail you the times you need them the most, in the heaviest rain.

I just picked my bronco up from the dealer, with the little "Ford says this is normal operation, they are SMART wipers". If they were smart, you'd think they would actually work when you needed them.

"They were designed this way to allow the motors to cool down". How about build the vehicle with the APPROPRIATE motor so it can run full speed for hours on end?

@Ford @Ford Motor Company whether this is normal or expected or not, you need to fix it. I've had plenty of things where I wish it worked like this or I wish this worked like that... but if I cant count on winshield wipers working when I need them the most... like everyone else here is saying... its dangerous.

I was told it was to save the wiper motor from burning out. I've owned at least 20 cars. None of which had this feature, I can give you a guess how many of those had a burned out wiper motor. 0. thats right not one single of my cars ever had a problem with a wiper motor.

Get it fixed.

Dealer invoice
Desc: CUST states wipers slow down during heavy rain.. check/advise
Cause: Found SSM 51377. The concern is normal operation.

Love getting shrugged off at the dealer </sarcasm>

Last edited:

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm interested in why 100% of people don't see this happening. Probably not a hot take in this thread, but this falls under dumbest additions to a new vehicle right next to cars that have the HVAC controls exclusively on the touch screen.

The longest I've ran with high is 10 minutes but I've used low and max intermittent for much longer.

Does it only happen after a certain amount of time?

Did the new wiper motor 100% fix your problem?

That Ford forum rep is basically a bot, I wouldn't overthink it.
Sponsored