Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've had my MY21 since December 1st of 2021 and luckily haven't experienced this issue yet. I did coat my windshield with Rain-X pretty early on. I know it isn't a fix, but maybe will help make those rainy drives safer until a fix is out there?
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't want to hear the term "Smart Wiper" again - we do not have a rain sensor on the windshield or camera that senses the rain and turns the wipers on like most other vehicles in the price range with 360 cameras. The only point of the wipers slowing down is to protect the motor.

From the Owner's Manual:
WIPER PRECAUTIONS

The vehicle is equipped with protection features to prevent damage to the wiper motor in case of overheating, usage on dry windshields or obstructions to the wiper blade due to snow or ice accumulation on the windshield.
In such conditions, the wiper motor may restrict its speed, reduce area of cleaning or completely stop operation. System returns back to normal operation mode once conditions are resolved.

Do not operate the wipers on a dry windshield. This could scratch the glass or damage the wiper blades. Use the windshield washers before wiping a dry windshield.
Fully defrost the windshield before you switch the windshield wipers on.
Switch the windshield wipers off before entering a car wash.

And I use synthetic wax on the entire vehicle, including windows, and it hasn't affected this issue at all. I might try Rain-X to see if it helps, but I think it would likely be the same :(

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As posted above, this is likely the issue. Why Ford doesn’t see this as a liability I do not understand.

Until we learn that Ford has issued a TSB, I see no reason to burn my time and take my truck to the dealership.

Does Ford need to address this? Absolutely yes.

I encourage everyone who has experienced this to file a report with the NHTSA

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

(cut & paste from above)

WIPER PRECAUTIONS

The vehicle is equipped with protection features to prevent damage to the wiper motor in case of overheating, usage on dry windshields or obstructions to the wiper blade due to snow or ice accumulation on the windshield.
In such conditions, the wiper motor may restrict its speed, reduce area of cleaning or completely stop operation. System returns back to normal operation mode once conditions are resolved.

Lanshark

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't know about you guys but for what I need RainX to do, it's only lasting about a week or two at most. Thats the direct spray on, not the wipes, two thick coats. The friction from these wipers and the aero on the windshield must be more than wipers normally have. With that in mind, has anybody tried a premium, perhaps higher quality wiper that might, I dunno, have less friction?? On my first oil change, early at 3500, the tech said my wipers were marginal. I wanted to follow up on that because at under 12K, they should be replaced on Ford's dime... but I digress, I wonder if a premium silicone wiper might give us perhaps alittle less life endangering wiper experience.

PotatoSalad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know about you guys but for what I need RainX to do, it's only lasting about a week or two at most. Thats the direct spray on, not the wipes, two thick coats. The friction from these wipers and the aero on the windshield must be more than wipers normally have. With that in mind, has anybody tried a premium, perhaps higher quality wiper that might, I dunno, have less friction?? On my first oil change, early at 3500, the tech said my wipers were marginal. I wanted to follow up on that because at under 12K, they should be replaced on Ford's dime... but I digress, I wonder if a premium silicone wiper might give us perhaps alittle less life endangering wiper experience.
My guess is that it's definitely the slope of the windshield and the aerodynamics making Rain-X less effective. I put Rain-X on my Fusion and it regularly lasts well over a year. I've driven 75 MPH through pretty significant rain here in Houston without the need for wipers at all. Unless it's hurricane level rains I don't have to worry about visibility and keep my wipers off.

The Bronco design definitely prevents water streaming off as effectively as I've felt the need to use the wipers a bit more relative to the Fusion. Rather than streaking off the top at speed I can see water essentially get pinned where it's at on the windshield. My guess is using the wipers a lot will wear the Rain-X off faster which is what you're experiencing, but to me it wouldn't justify going out of my way for better wiper blades. I'll likely just keep reapplying more Rain-X. I still haven't put my wipers on more than low and so far haven't had to reapply. I am only 2 months into ownership though so time will tell.

Sponsored

Lanshark

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My thinking was if its load sensing causing our issue (primarily), then perhaps silicone over rubber might help alleviate some of the load on the motors. Then, they would only fail you when you really REALLY needed them, not just every time it rains a little harder than normal.

Haze74

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti Q50s Red Sport, Ford F-350 XLT 6.0L
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I picked up my last Friday and was diving in the rain this evening noticed the issue. I started counting the number of continuous wipes. Exactly 25 each time and then to intermittent.
MY23 black Diamond

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a brainstorm earlier and am sharing in case anyone wants to try. I wonder if we replace the wiper arm spring with a softer spring? I'm thinking the arm is pressing down too hard on the windshield, thus creating the resistance. I lifted the Bronco wiper, and it was MUCH stiffer than my Pacifica.

I'm going to remove an arm and try to find softer springs as soon as I can, but thought I'd post this idea here in case anyone wants to try it before I get a chance ;)

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I picked up my last Friday and was diving in the rain this evening noticed the issue. I started counting the number of continuous wipes. Exactly 25 each time and then to intermittent.
MY23 black Diamond
If it happens every time at 25 wipes, then I'm 100% sure I don't have the issue. No idea what could be different aside from a defective motor.

Raptor Guy

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Raptor | '11 FLHX | '02 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So without having to go through 30 pages, is there ANY fix for this yet? I recently discovered this in some heavy rain/snow and almost drove my Braptor into a ditch when my wipers were on HIGH and decided to go to intermittent. It's ridiculous that they designed the system this way.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So without having to go through 30 pages, is there ANY fix for this yet? I recently discovered this in some heavy rain/snow and almost drove my Braptor into a ditch when my wipers were on HIGH and decided to go to intermittent. It's ridiculous that they designed the system this way.
No fix as of yet

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The point of using rain x is to NOT use the wipers. Otherwise you're just wiping out off. I've rarely used wipers with it.

Sadly, now I have plastic coating, so rain x goes all cloudy.... Need to try the one for plastic coatings.

HoosierMan

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BASEQUATCH, 2011 MUSTANG GT, 2014 F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
No fix as of yet
There are a few on here that have said they were able to get their Dealer to replace the motor under warranty and it seems to have solved the problem. Others have said the their Dealer will tell them that it is working as designed!

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a few on here that have said they were able to get their Dealer to replace the motor under warranty and it seems to have solved the problem. Others have said the their Dealer will tell them that it is working as designed!
Yes, I know that, but its not like their is a recall, or even a TSB - basically, you can try the dealer and cross your fingers that a new motor might fix it, but it's not like Ford has come out and said "X batch of motors were manufactured with the wrong resistor and by updating to motor V2 everything will be fine" ;)

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a brainstorm earlier and am sharing in case anyone wants to try. I wonder if we replace the wiper arm spring with a softer spring? I'm thinking the arm is pressing down too hard on the windshield, thus creating the resistance. I lifted the Bronco wiper, and it was MUCH stiffer than my Pacifica.

I'm going to remove an arm and try to find softer springs as soon as I can, but thought I'd post this idea here in case anyone wants to try it before I get a chance ;)
On Saturday I tried to remove the drivers side wiper arm, but could not crack it loose. I guess because it isn't made to come off like my JLUR's were. So I gave up for the day, but then, on Sunday, I played with them some more. My goal was to try to insert something between the coils of the wiper springs to relieve some pressure on the windshield. I was not able to, although I lifted the wipers up and down several times.

Today, in a very light rain, the wipers worked the whole way home for several minutes! Not sure if I stretched the spring a bit or something, but maybe give it a shot? Maybe leave the wipers up overnight to see if you can stretch the spring some?
Sponsored