Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had thought about it, and possibly finding a way to convert an aux switch to momentary. “Get rid of the detent and spring return” Then I got a vin from a Lux and ordered a visor for 175.00 it is plug and play. No forscan needed. On my jeep I had to use alfa obd, android device, obdlink mx+ and enable UGDO. Universal garage door opener. Only worked when ignition was on, and that separate wire was not powered until enabled in the bcm.
This is good news. Happen to have that part number handy?
Sponsored

Mike5681

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More Door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had thought about it, and possibly finding a way to convert an aux switch to momentary. “Get rid of the detent and spring return” Then I got a vin from a Lux and ordered a visor for 175.00 it is plug and play. No forscan needed. On my jeep I had to use alfa obd, android device, obdlink mx+ and enable UGDO. Universal garage door opener. Only worked when ignition was on, and that separate wire was not powered until enabled in the bcm.

Would like more details on this. Would it work on Base model?

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
$175 for the visor? I was seeing $330 when I looked a couple weeks ago. Here is the thread on adding one. I think you might need at least mid package to get the lighted visor that will be plug and play.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/part-number-for-sunvisor-with-homelink.25917/

Deleted member 19381

I had thought about it, and possibly finding a way to convert an aux switch to momentary. “Get rid of the detent and spring return” Then I got a vin from a Lux and ordered a visor for 175.00 it is plug and play. ...
Got a P/N?? Oops, nevermind....

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for posting. That's good info. There are several options made for motorcycles that would work well. They include a small transmitter with a button at the end of a wire, which is quite similar to what you made.

https://www.amazon.com/Kustom-Unive...cphy=9006607&hvtargid=pla-1438692821032&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Mo-Door-Swit...t=&hvlocphy=9006607&hvtargid=pla-571675663595

https://www.amazon.com/Mo-Door-Butt...p/B06XGLF2WB/ref=psdc_573765011_t2_B01NCVBXWE

There are also really small units such as this that you could mount discreetly under the steering column, in the console, on the A-pillar etc (assuming the signal wouldn't be blocked).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chamber...Garage-Door-Remote-Control-MC100-P2/301951611

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is so ridiculous, I love it lol. As a fellow tinker'r I applaud your work.

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I built my Bronco, I was too cheap to splurge for the Lux package, so I stopped at High. But I knew I'd miss the convenience of the Homelink for the garage door, and I don't like the look of having an opener clipped to my visor. So my solution was to wire up my garage door opener directly to one of the upfitter switches. Overall, it's pretty straightforward but my first attempt was a fail, so thought I'd post what didn't work and what did.

What didn't work:
My initial plan was to open up the Genie remote and solder a jumper across the OPEN button so that it's "always pressed." Then, solder wires to the positive & negative ends of the circuit where the battery fits in the slot, and use the Aux switch to supply/remove power as needed. The remote uses a 3V coin battery, so I purchased a 12V to 3V converter to step the voltage down from the aux switch voltage to the remote supply voltage.

First step was to take the board out of my Genie remote so I could work with it. Here's a generic picture of what it looked like before. If you have the one-button instead of this 3-button, I think it still works the same for the purpose of what I did.
genie.JPG

Picture of the remote with the jumper soldered across the top button.
Button side.PNG

Battery slot with wires soldered to POS & NEG ends.
Battery side.PNG

The useless finished product in a weatherproof box. Sorry about the terrible images, making a how-to was an afterthought so these are all I had of the failed attempt.
Attempt 1 Photo.PNG

For me, this seemed like the easiest solution, but unfortunately didn't work. After much frustration, I came to the conclusion that if the button on the remote is already pressed when power is supplied, either the remote won't give the command to open/close or the receiver won't accept it. Whatever the reason, I never could get it to function with this setup. So on to Plan B..

What did work:
Instead of using the Aux switch to supply/remove power from the remote, I switched the design to have the Aux switch press/depress the OPEN button on the remote. I did this by soldering the push button to a circuit with a relay, and using the Aux switch to power the relay and complete the push button circuit on the remote. For powering the remote, I decided to just reinstall the coin battery for convenience. If it goes dead, I made it accessible enough to replace.

IMG_2756.jpg

Works great so far! I flip the switch for a second then switch it back off. Same as pressing then releasing the opener button. I still don't have a great place for the box. Right now it's just zip tied under the hood near the fuse box on the driver side. Eventually I'll find a more permanent home for it. Just wanted to share if anyone else was thinking of trying this. Intuitively, I thought my first idea would have been the simpler fix, but I just never could get it to work correctly.

IMG_2756.jpg
do you have a link to the relay you used ?

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After reading this - the opener on the visor looks better and better. More power to you.

Sponsored

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if the button on the remote is already pressed when power is supplied, either the remote won't give the command to open/close or the receiver won't accept it. Whatever the reason, I never could get it to function with this setup. So on to Plan B..
do you have a link to the relay you used ?
Just a quick bump to see what relay you used for this solution. Thanks!

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

MadiganStation

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco (4 Door)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just did something very similar, figured I would share... And, yes, one could just clip the remote to the visor, but where is the fun in that?!?
My solution does look like something that could get you put on a list with Homeland Security, but it works perfectly, and is cheap if you have got the tools.
Just flip the AUX switch on briefly and then off again, and you are good to go!

531734-951ba17a395dae400aa226354efc4f91.jpg

531736-50b83fb7e77a2708d3d05b710ec8e130.jpg

531733-1b8db55550348f56fe7e2f95766c8159.jpg

531735-061bc75bd1738b3216db23c0ea76fb68.jpg

531738-02c207c268c7203c3a962e9da29b1392.jpg

531739-a087991c1d4bf4faa79ddecfc66289bf.jpg

531740-b636bfeaabd8398a241a6d1743cc2f99.jpg

531737-d818af28867759c5433153073faf05bd.jpg

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0129 2.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What system do you have? I have MyQ and my entire home is done with nest/Google home compatible products. I can close with voice, but it will not allow the door to open with voice "for security reasons"
I have MyQ also, I use Apple Home. I can open either one of my doors with the APP. The only issue I have had is my phone has to be unlocked when I do it.

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just did something very similar, figured I would share... And, yes, one could just clip the remote to the visor, but where is the fun in that?!?
My solution does look like something that could get you put on a list with Homeland Security, but it works perfectly, and is cheap if you have got the tools.
Just flip the AUX switch on briefly and then off again, and you are good to go!

Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch IMG_0126.JPG

Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch IMG_4602
Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch IMG_4603
Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch IMG_4605
Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch IMG_4607
Ford Bronco Wired My Garage Door Opener to an Upfitter Aux Switch IMG_4609

Hey thanks for the inspiration! I just finished installing the garage opener to the AUX switch following your instruction. I wired the Yellow/Orange wire to the Brown/White wire in the engine bay, and connected the Brown/White wire in the glove box to the relay.

It works very well!
Sponsored