taperunner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve always had about a 1 second delay when hitting buttons but otherwise mine has been great. I have noticed that after updating to iOS 16 it randomly drops then reconnects. It’s annoying because it feels like that mostly happens when I’m listening to the radio, so then when it reconnects it defaults to Spotify via CarPlay which is annoying. It didn’t do this before I went to iOS 16 some I’m hoping an update corrects it.
Sponsored

FDHog

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat FX4, 22 Road Glide ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

iPhone 12pro. No issues. I put my phone in the tray in front of the shifter. Too bulky to keep in pocket while driving. Noticed that the further it gets from the dash it gets a little quirky.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Works flawlessly from the LUX charger tray. The wireless charger on the other hand, takes 3 1/2 years to fully charge the phone with the Otter Box case I’m using.

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious if this is an issue with Ford Sync or Carplay (or both), but here are the bugs and issues I encounter pretty often (With WIRELESS Carplay):
  1. Phone takes up to 30 seconds to connect
  2. Carplay connects, but there is tremendous lag on the on-screen buttons and navigating the menu
  3. Carplay connects, but it takes forever to load apps
  4. Carplay connects, but the audio is still pumping through the phone itself vs. the speakers
  5. Carplay just endlessly does the "Connecting Circle Animation" on-screen and never stops
  6. Carplay connects, but the radio starts playing audio vs. what was last on your iPhone
    1. (This does stop once you resume a music track, podcast, etc. on your device.)
  7. Carplay just randomly disconnects for no reason

I probably forgot a few others, but seriously @Ford Motor Company - get your shit together. This is a 50k-dollar+ vehicle. I encounter one of these bugs/issues at least 25% of the time when I start up the Bronco.

Essmith94

Badlands
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been using Apple CarPlay since picking up my 2021 Badlands Lux in October of 2021. First with an iPhone 12 Pro Max and now an iPhone 13 Pro Max. It sucks! Disconnects all the time in the same locations around town. Not sure if it’s Cellular signals that interfere or another RF source but it’s horrible. I have recently just been using Bluetooth with absolutely no issues. No issues in our BMW using wireless CarPlay ever… never disconnects. This is a Ford integration issue and so far no updates to Sync have addressed the issue.

Sponsored

JDoc92

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have found that if my phone is “on” but not in use (black screen) when you start the vehicle, I have no connection issues. On but in use, it is hit or miss. Seems to hold true for the aftermarket Kenwood in my Ridgeline. It’s like the phone/radio can only focus on connecting. My two cents…

Mid package. iPhone 13.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had zero issues with wireless CarPlay and I think it’s one of the best features of the car. I have iPhone 12 Pro Max.

kje22kje

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runner TRD Off Rd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only issue I see is when using Amazon music to play tunes the sound is SUPER low vs the radio. Volume on the phone is turned up but something is keeping it somewhat muted. Any ideas?

PAWBronco

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Bronco Sport, Chev Volt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. I have the high package with the iPhone 12 Pro and have had zero connection issues with wireless Apple Car Play. As for the wireless charger, I never use it. It goes soooo slowly and it quickly overheats the phone. I have a wired cradle where the wire plugs into the aux plug by the windshield so I use wireless Car Play and it charges only while in the cradle. Works great.

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First road trip with the new Bronco. I have had zero problems with Apple Car Play up to now. IPhone 12 plugged in and I use Waze and play Apple Music. After eight hours of driving, my Waze screen suddenly looked like this. Pulled over and turned the Bronco off and then back on and it went away. Anybody else had this issue?

0761ABDF-1B9B-4AF2-9648-0045FCC3AF34.jpeg

Sponsored

Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had my Bronco for a week now and have been struggling with CarPlay. I’ve tried everything. Last night I turned off my VPN and this morning I was able to set up CarPlay? Not sure if that was it but it’s worth trying if you are having problems.

Edit
A quick follow up, it was for sure my vpn. I use express vpn. You have to close the app then go to settings , general, vpn & device management. Then make sure vpn is not connected. Almost 2 hours on the phone with ford and two dealerships were not able to help. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've had my 4 door Badlands high package for about 3 weeks now and just wanted to let everyone know the Wireless Carplay is frustratingly awful. There is about a 2 second delay every time you push a button and the audio will randomly cut in and out while driving. My 2016 4runner doesn't have Carplay, but has no trouble playing music or directions via Bluetooth.

I've tried resetting/updating everything but it still doesn't seem to help. Also not sure how to run Carplay wired via the USB ports. Do I need to completely disconnect wireless first? Can I use USB, or does it have to be the USB-C port?

Hate to complain about something so minor when I should just be happy it's in my garage and not a holding lot, but hopefully this is something that can be fixed.
No issues with wireless CarPlay. The Satellite radio reception SUCKS! Drive past a fence post and it goes out.

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I know this post hasn't been commented on in a year but as I am doing my research, my '23 OBX Lux has a serious issue with this. Additionally occasionally the screen locks up (Happened a few times) the dealer said it should send a message "no connection to apim" but they never got any messages.

At times in order to get my iPhone to connect I have to reboot the HU multiple times. CarPlay connection drops almost always during phone calls and at times with the streaming music (or even my music on the device). My wife's phone (iPhone 15) will not connect vie either bluetooth AND OR CarPlay. Dealer wants to replace the APIM but apparently it's a multiple months wait for one. I have other issues with the car, like top #2 was damaged when they put it on, im on driveshaft #2, tailgate clicks all the time and after the TSB was performed..... its worse.

I am waiting a decision on a buyback from Ford (They said I will know tomorrow) and I really just hate the fact that its all this is going on and being told the new top will also most likely crack like the initial one. It's all just a hassle and it really ruined the experience.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am waiting a decision on a buyback from Ford (They said I will know tomorrow) and I really just hate the fact that its all this is going on and being told the new top will also most likely crack like the initial one. It's all just a hassle and it really ruined the experience.
I can say, in general, Ford is really bad with the electronics part. Going back to a 2011 F150, which was the first truck I had that had Factory Bluetooth, it's always been just a little bit fussy, even before throwing Carplay into the mix.

My current Bronco and my wife's Bronco Sport both will occasionally act up - phone won't connect, or Carplay will reboot randomly. But it's a rare thing for those. Carplay acting slow - yeah, I see that a lot on mine on Wireless carplay (Wife's Sport doesn't have wireless Carplay, wired works snappy and very well there for the most part). And my wireless carplay loves to reboot when I drive past grain silos on the freeway, for some reason.

Even my last truck, a 2017 F150 - just Bluetooth, occasionally it just wouldn't connect to the phone.

Ford just isn't very good with that stuff. Sync in general has been a less-than-stellar product it's entire life.

None of this is an excuse for your OBX - that does sound terrible and I hope they take care of you. Just saying in an otherwise "good" Ford product I've never seen Sync and wireless be 100% flawless
Sponsored