Sponsored

Wiring aftermarket front camera into aux switch with display screen integration?

Phosvitin

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota matrix and honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Anybody with modding experience know if it would be possible to wire an aftermarket front camera into an aux switch and integrate that into the display screen? High package is too much for me but I would still love the functionality of a front facing camera down the road.
Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Deja vu, i just babbled a whole novel about this elsewhere.

tl;dr: Until I can get my hands on Sync 4, I don't know. The 'trail view' opens a new possibility here since Sync 3 lacks a 'view camera above 5mph' feature.

In theory, a specific canbus message will tell the APIM 'I know we're doing 10mph but display the camera feed anyway'. We need to figure out that message if it exists.

I've been trying for a year to get access to a front-camera-equipped Ford just to get the 'slowly pulling into a parking stall' camera request message. I never have a good opportunity to ask anyone between Covid, civil unrest, and unbearable weather.

I also don't know for sure how Sync 4 will handle video inputs. Sync 3 only has a single video input. If you just have a rearview camera, it connects directly to the radio (APIM).
If you have the front camera or 360° Camera, all cameras connect to the IPMB (Image Processing Module B), which then selects which video feed to deliver to the radio. Your radio honestly has no idea which camera it's displaying.

OP
OP
Phosvitin

Phosvitin

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota matrix and honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I hope you figure it out! Seems like you have much more of a handle on this than I do.
Sponsored