Sponsored

Wiring aftermarket interior lighting to work with factory lights?

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My dad put some lights in the interior of his side by side that look like led rock lights, and they have a button on them to turn them on. I can't remember the brand but could be a good solution if you don't mind doing some wire tucking.
I did this in my F250. Used rock lights under seats and under dash. Wired them to upfitter switches.
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah, I didn't realize this. Good information!

This doesn't change my plans for the steps, as I intend to find a signal from the doors themselves. The dome wire would be simple, if possible, but I assume the domes come on (or stay on for a bit) even when the doors are closed, like other vehicles I've driven. I would want the steps up any time the door is closed.

This info does have me wondering about expanding the interior lighting circuit with more lights that can operate on that PWM.
Would you still wire the steps override switch in to prevent steps from opening up if youā€™re stuck on a rock? Not sure whether you plan to offroad or not.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ah, I didn't realize this. Good information!

This doesn't change my plans for the steps, as I intend to find a signal from the doors themselves. The dome wire would be simple, if possible, but I assume the domes come on (or stay on for a bit) even when the doors are closed, like other vehicles I've driven. I would want the steps up any time the door is closed.

This info does have me wondering about expanding the interior lighting circuit with more lights that can operate on that PWM.
Let me know if you find some lights that will work on PWM. Iā€™ve reached the end of the internet without finding anything.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would you still wire the steps override switch in to prevent steps from opening up if youā€™re stuck on a rock? Not sure whether you plan to offroad or not.
My first plan is to wire this into one of the upfitter switches so that I don't have to drill any holes in the dash. My plan B is to buy a smaller and nicer looking rocker switch to replace the one provided. Unless someone beats me to it, I will make a thread when I get the Bronco. Lol. Just planning right now.

Let me know if you find some lights that will work on PWM. Iā€™ve reached the end of the internet without finding anything.
Nothing found for sure. I'm assuming any LED light will work, I've read anecdotes that LED strips can be added to a PWM the dome circuit, but I don't know for sure.

Since the Pulse Modulated circuit is used to dim lights by basically quickly turning them on and off at fast intervals (longer "off" for dimmer light), I'm worried that would be hard on the "wrong" bulbs, but am hoping someone more knowledgeble pops in.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My first plan is to wire this into one of the upfitter switches so that I don't have to drill any holes in the dash. My plan B is to buy a smaller and nicer looking rocker switch to replace the one provided. Unless someone beats me to it, I will make a thread when I get the Bronco. Lol. Just planning right now.

Nothing found for sure. I'm assuming any LED light will work, I've read anecdotes that LED strips can be added to a PWM the dome circuit, but I don't know for sure.

Since the Pulse Modulated circuit is used to dim lights by basically quickly turning them on and off at fast intervals (longer "off" for dimmer light), I'm worried that would be hard on the "wrong" bulbs, but am hoping someone more knowledgeble pops in.
Regular LEDs will absolutely not work from the dome light circuit, they just flicker dimly. Been there done that. The PWM signal is lower voltage and highly modulated. It also doesnā€™t work to trigger a relay, again been there done that.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

As the previous poster mentioned^^^ tapping into the dome light wouldn't work. A couple people have already gone down this rabbit hole even trying PWM converters from diode dynamics with no luck.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As the previous poster mentioned^^^ tapping into the dome light wouldn't work. A couple people have already gone down this rabbit hole even trying PWM converters from diode dynamics with no luck.
Dang. Yeah it does sound like a rabbit hole. Lol.

Ive read people talking about adding some resistors or capacitors to make lights play nice with PWM. If nothing else I might find another Ford dome assembly to play with.

It may be a little OCD, but I would much prefer that any auxillary lighting match the OEM dimming and fade out.

F1NDx

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I threw a mini led strip in the cargo that auto turns on/off when opening the door. No visible wires, no hacking up the trim. Cheap & reasonably bright

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What about the cargo bay light? Is it PWM also or just timed?
Yes, all interior lighting is on the same PWM circuit. Front map lights, rear dome light, cargo light, and ambient footwell.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I threw a mini led strip in the cargo that auto turns on/off when opening the door. No visible wires, no hacking up the trim. Cheap & reasonably bright
Where did you put the switch?

F1NDx

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Where did you put the switch?
I used a magnetic reed switch and I hid it under the plastic trim. I will take some pics to show where

Red circles in pics are the two halves making up the reed switch. One is visible on the cargo door (very small) and the other is hidden underneath the plastic trim part and fit perfectly.
Ford Bronco Wiring aftermarket interior lighting to work with factory lights? Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 3.11.17 PM
Ford Bronco Wiring aftermarket interior lighting to work with factory lights? Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 3.13.07 PM
Ford Bronco Wiring aftermarket interior lighting to work with factory lights? Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 3.11.59 PM

Last edited:

Adumb

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Area 51 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used a magnetic reed switch and I hid it under the plastic trim. I will take some pics to show where

Red circles in pics are the two halves making up the reed switch. One is visible on the cargo door (very small) and the other is hidden underneath the plastic trim part and fit perfectly.
Ford Bronco Wiring aftermarket interior lighting to work with factory lights? Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 3.11.59 PM
How is this powered?

Topher

Outer Banks
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 door Outer Banks, Cactus Grey, MIC, LUX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, all interior lighting is on the same PWM circuit. Front map lights, rear dome light, cargo light, and ambient footwell.
I understand about the PWM circuit and that tapping into it won't work however, I have now seen two separate YouTube videos where it appears to have been done successfully. Here are the links to them. I cannot confirm if they work or not since my 2021, 2022, 2023 Bronco hasn't been schedued yet. I'm curious if it can, in fact, be done. Maybe the cargo light is different.

Thoughts?

(at 12:50)

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I understand about the PWM circuit and that tapping into it won't work however, I have now seen two separate YouTube videos where it appears to have been done successfully. Here are the links to them. I cannot confirm if they work or not since my 2021, 2022, 2023 Bronco hasn't been schedued yet. I'm curious if it can, in fact, be done. Maybe the cargo light is different.

Thoughts?

(at 12:50)
What youā€™re missing is the fact they are using the 12v hot, and a switch/remote to turn on the lights. That circuit is hot for 60 minutes after closing the door. So if you didnā€™t use a switch or remote, the light would stay on for 60 minutes. Iā€™m doing the same with some cargo lights and a switch.

What you quoted from me was for extra interior dome lights. This is an application where you want extra lighting to turn on when the factory lights do, and off when the factory lights do, without the use of a switch. There is not currently a clean solution for that because of the PWM lighting used.
Sponsored