Sponsored

Wiring aftermarket interior lighting to work with factory lights?

CUrt_Russell

Big Bend
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am absolutely loving my big bend - I picked her up July 23rd and have driven a little over 2000 miles.

A couple of quibbles, the whistle is there, I'm hoping the recall fix next month will get rid of that and one other quibble, I hope the hive mind has a solution.

I haven't heard anyone mention this, so here it goes, the interior lights are weak and it is dark in the bronco. I've put flashlights in a couple of the cubby's so I can see, but that is not always the best solution (I need a free hand to use). I've seen aftermarket interior lighting for cars that might work, but...

Do you think those lights can be tied to the existing interior lights so they illuminate when expected, i.e., when the door opens? Or will those have a separate switch, slightly inconvenient, but workable? TIA
Sponsored

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My '21 Chevy ZR2 also had sub-par interior lights - I replaced all the ancient incandescent bulbs in the interior with LED bulbs - they are MUCH brighter and more effective - and an easy job.

nd2002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW M2, '18 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My '21 Chevy ZR2 also had sub-par interior lights - I replaced all the ancient incandescent bulbs in the interior with LED bulbs - they are MUCH brighter and more effective - and an easy job.
Id be shocked if they weren’t LED already? Seems like it should be here in 2021!

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can change the interior ambient light strength through the touchscreen interface. I thought that until I adjusted things. Give it a try.

EDIT: You can also adjust how the top interior "dome" lights come on if you press the buttons at the top. It took me a while to get it the way I liked it. The ambient light is annoying to me when driving, so I keep mine low.

Last edited:

Kmcran

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am absolutely loving my big bend - I picked her up July 23rd and have driven a little over 2000 miles.

A couple of quibbles, the whistle is there, I'm hoping the recall fix next month will get rid of that and one other quibble, I hope the hive mind has a solution.

I haven't heard anyone mention this, so here it goes, the interior lights are weak and it is dark in the bronco. I've put flashlights in a couple of the cubby's so I can see, but that is not always the best solution (I need a free hand to use). I've seen aftermarket interior lighting for cars that might work, but...

Do you think those lights can be tied to the existing interior lights so they illuminate when expected, i.e., when the door opens? Or will those have a separate switch, slightly inconvenient, but workable? TIA
My dad put some lights in the interior of his side by side that look like led rock lights, and they have a button on them to turn them on. I can't remember the brand but could be a good solution if you don't mind doing some wire tucking.

Sponsored

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Id be shocked if they weren’t LED already? Seems like it should be here in 2021!
should be - but quite possibly not. My ZR2 was a $50k+ truck - very similar to the Bronco - bought brand new 8.5 months ago - no LED lights in the interior.

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can change the interior ambient light strength through the touchscreen interface. I thought that until I adjusted things. Give it a try.

EDIT: You can also adjust how the top interior "dome" lights come on if you press the buttons at the top. It took me a while to get it the way I liked it. The ambient light is annoying to me when driving, so I keep mine low.
I looked through the touch screen for this option and there isn't one. Can you screenshot it?

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No lights at all in the back seat. One on side in cargo. Dome lights ate not bright enough to read by

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I looked through the touch screen for this option and there isn't one. Can you screenshot it?
I will try to find it. I have mid package, so I have basically no extras. If I have it, everyone must have it.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am interested in this topic for two reasons. When I get the Bronco, I want to integrate additional lighting with the factory lighting, and want my rockslide steps to be controlled by the factory harness, rather than magnets and sensors.

Does anyone know a single point in the harness where the door-open signal can be tapped into? Or have a schematic? This would be much simpler than trying to wire/ combine the signals from 4 doors (or even 2).

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am interested in this topic for two reasons. When I get the Bronco, I want to integrate additional lighting with the factory lighting, and want my rockslide steps to be controlled by the factory harness, rather than magnets and sensors.

Does anyone know a single point in the harness where the door-open signal can be tapped into? Or have a schematic? This would be much simpler than trying to wire/ combine the signals from 4 doors (or even 2).
The dome light & courtesy lights run a PWM signal and the power wires are constant hot around 11v, so dont think those will work for you.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The dome light & courtesy lights run a PWM signal and the power wires are constant hot around 11v, so dont think those will work for you.
Ah, I didn't realize this. Good information!

This doesn't change my plans for the steps, as I intend to find a signal from the doors themselves. The dome wire would be simple, if possible, but I assume the domes come on (or stay on for a bit) even when the doors are closed, like other vehicles I've driven. I would want the steps up any time the door is closed.

This info does have me wondering about expanding the interior lighting circuit with more lights that can operate on that PWM.
Sponsored