First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door base/sqatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
1795 miles. Don’t have my engine birth date, but blend date was 7/12.
I am sorry. That sucks pretty bad. I am an 8/30 blend date and just rolled 2k. I also was on top of that 1k break in and have only used 92 octane. I am a little worried about this growing issue with the 2.7, but what can you do? It is what it is.
Sponsored

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So…. if people use 87 Octane on their 2.7L in the first few thousand miles, their engine will fail?

OP
OP
International_George

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So…. if people use 87 Octane on their 2.7L in the first few thousand miles, their engine will fail?
I used 92 and my bronco got a free ride to the dealer.

52443000-A668-47F8-AFC7-4F675312E230.jpeg

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, after reading other threads I thought I’d point out that I was very diligent in following the 1000 mile break in procedure and also only ever used top tier 92 octane. Maybe the break in was my undoing.
I very much doubt that.

It looks to me like this is just a random defect.; and that if an engine has it, and is going to fail because of it, that it will fail regardless of how it was used or cared for.

I don't think that how you break it in is likely to have any effect on this.

I don't think that what fuel you use is likely to have any effect.

I think that if it's going to fail, it's going to fail. Fortunately, it seems to be a failure that if it is going to happen, it happens soon, while you're still well within warranty.

Not many people fully realize this, but a big part of the principle behind warranties is that it is pretty much a given that out of any large number of products, some small portion are, unfortunately, going to be defective; and that if a product does turn out to be defective, the defect will make itself known in a relatively short time.

Some of the really long warranties that some makes are putting on their cars are kind of absurd, because by the time you get near the end of those warranty periods, you're going to start seeing failures that are a result of legitimate wear and tear, rather than because of defects.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because Ford has not been forthcoming with the issue, there was a theory that the blown engines could have been related possibly to premature ignition and a lean condition.

It's actually great to know that this user ran premium gas. I wonder if they were also using eco mode?

Sponsored
OP
OP
International_George

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because Ford has not been forthcoming with the issue, there was a theory that the blown engines could have been related possibly to premature ignition and a lean condition.

It's actually great to know that this user ran premium gas. I wonder if they were also using eco mode?
I wasn’t using eco mode at the time. I had only used it once at about 1000 miles when we did a small 2.5 hr trip. Only ever really used normal mode.

TravisC91

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just found this thread. 2.7L here with 1900 miles, only filled with Shell 93 V-power Nitro since I bought it and my engine wouldn't start yesterday morning. Would also like to add that it was the coldest morning of the winter so far, 18 deg F. It's at the dealership now, towed there, was just hoping it was a battery issue but it looks like it's not because they gave me a loaner Bronco. I'll update when they figure it out.

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well o guess it’s time to do the 7.3 Godzilla swap. 😆

OP
OP
International_George

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just found this thread. 2.7L here with 1900 miles, only filled with Shell 93 V-power Nitro since I bought it and my engine wouldn't start yesterday morning. Would also like to add that it was the coldest morning of the winter so far, 18 deg F. It's at the dealership now, towed there, was just hoping it was a battery issue but it looks like it's not because they gave me a loaner Bronco. I'll update when they figure it out.
I would head over to the main thread for blown 2.7L engines… sounds exactly like my situation.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...res-list-25-noted-so-far-jan-12-update.31951/
Sponsored