Sponsored

UPDATED with before/after pics and video: Worried about rust on your Bronco? You should be. Here's why.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

UPDATED. I created a new thread with all the before and after videos and pics and more questions answered: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...fing-before-after-with-pics-and-videos.33381/

I live outside of Boston. They salt the crap out of the roads now - it's insane and drives me crazy. After recently having my 2006 4Runner hauled away for parts because of catastrophic frame rot with only 140K miles, I decided to research rust proofing options for my Bronco.

Anyway, I'm a skeptic on a lot of things and rust proofing is one of them. From old school Rusty Jones, to tar-based undercoatings, to WD-40, to spent motor oil, to newer products like Fluidfilm, Waxoil, hard wax, and NH Oil, it's hard to know what makes sense, and if it matters at all.

In any case, I took my new Wildtrak with 250 miles on it to a very high End car restorer https://www.alphacars.com/ that also specialized in rust proofing (as well as customization, detailing, PPF, ceramic coating, stereo, high performance exhaust and engine parts, etc.). It's very impressive and professional. They have several locations in MA and NH.

I am somewhat SHOCKED at what they discovered, which is the fact that Ford has put nearly zero rust protection on the underside of the Bronco. For example the body panels have up to 9mil of paint, yet the frame has only 0.5-1mil !!!! In some cases it's exposed bare metal where there is supposed to be paint.

I suggest you look at this VERY well done video of them inspecting the underside of my car and you will see why this should concern you if you live in New England.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YVFzZXNFdE5iSE5tZkc2RmVxLUJRd2pOWnRwSTR3

If you ever want to be confident that a service shop knows what they are doing - watch this video. And if you decide to give them a call, please tell them Jeff Abbott referred you and they will take $100 off your service (No, I don't work for them.).
Sponsored

Last edited:

slocobra03

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, Explore ST, MG, Isetta, Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I live outside of Boston. They salt the crap out of the roads now - it's insane and drives me crazy. After recently having my 2006 4Runner hauled away for parts because of catastrophic frame rot with only 140K miles, I decided to research rust proofing options for my Bronco.

Anyway, I'm a skeptic on a lot of things and rust proofing is one of them. From old school Rusty Jones, to tar-based undercoatings, to WD-40, to spent motor oil, to newer products like Fluidfilm, Waxoil, hard wax, and NH Oil, it's hard to know what makes sense, and if it matters at all.

In any case, I took my new Wildtrak with 250 miles on it to a very high End car restorer https://www.alphacars.com/ that also specialized in rust proofing (as well as customization, detailing, PPF, ceramic coating, stereo, high performance exhaust and engine parts, etc.). It's very impressive and professional. They have several locations in MA and NH.

I am somewhat SHOCKED at what they discovered, which is the fact that Ford has put nearly zero rust protection on the underside of the Bronco. For example the body panels have up to 9mil of paint, yet the frame has only 0.5-1mil !!!! In some cases it's exposed bare metal where there is supposed to be paint.

I suggest you look at this VERY well done video of them inspecting the underside of my car and you will see why this should concern you if you live in New England.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YVFzZXNFdE5iSE5tZkc2RmVxLUJRd2pOWnRwSTR3

If you ever want to be confident that a service shop knows what they are doing - watch this video. And if you decide to give them a call, please tell them Jeff Abbott referred you and they will take $100 off your service (No, I don't work for them.).
I live in RI and it is the same here... SALT everywhere and after watching my Gen 1 Raptor develop the "cancer", I decided that I will park my Bronco for the winter and not subject it to the horror's of the salt this winter in an attempt to help prevent the cancer from happening... it's sad as the Bronco will be parked till spring but I think it is for the best.. at least it will give me time to empty my wallet with aftermarket parts in the next coming months.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I live in RI and it is the same here... SALT everywhere and after watching my Gen 1 Raptor develop the "cancer", I decided that I will park my Bronco for the winter and not subject it to the horror's of the salt this winter in an attempt to help prevent the cancer from happening... it's sad as the Bronco will be parked till spring but I think it is for the best.. at least it will give me time to empty my wallet with aftermarket parts in the next coming months.
This is my daily driver so I don't have that luxury. But it makes me sick every time I'm driving on piles of white crumbly salt chunks that I can here getting blasted all over the undercarraige.

slocobra03

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is my daily driver so I don't have that luxury. But it makes me sick every time I'm driving on piles of white crumbly salt chunks that I can here getting blasted all over the undercarraige.
Fortunately, the Bronco is a toy and not a daily driver as I have other vehicles I can drive this winter.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's better than some I've seen. I'm concerned about this issue as well. The manufacturer's don't seem to care about underbody protection, especially at a component level.

The brine they spray on the roads these days is much more corrosive than the plain rock salt of the past.

What products did you end up using and will there be a follow up video?

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Bronco hasn’t left the garage since the first snow and road salting last month. I’ll probably do fluidfilm and not worry about it long term. The rust is the worst thing about living in MA, I spent most of my life in AZ and never had to worry about rust until moving here in 2020.

Ford has no incentive to prevent the truck from rusting away after the 5 year perforation warranty has expired. The sooner it rusts away the sooner they can sell another vehicle. I’m not surprised this is the case for what is designed to be a low to mid range consumer vehicle. Nothing in that video was at all surprising. From what I’ve seen in rust belt vehicles that came through the shops in AZ, rust around the hardware on the axles is from them machining holes in cast parts like they have done for decades. Those parts don’t rot away even over decades, the frame rails are gone far sooner. I’ve never seen a driveshaft or CV shaft rust through, but I agree they should be painted.

I took our uncoated Tacoma out to accelerate the rust last weekend, fortunately it’s a lease so I won’t have it long enough to worry about corrosion.
Ford Bronco UPDATED with before/after pics and video: Worried about rust on your Bronco? You should be. Here's why. E8881DFC-7526-467E-AEC5-CFCFB311E6F0

Last edited:

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lol nice clickbait title :)

I'm bot in new england, but just across the border from ME... road salt is just something we live with here. When I lived in Manitoba, it was so cold there they couldn't use salt and just sanded the roads... great for your metal bits, but sucked in the spring when I got my motorcycle out :p

slocobra03

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My Bronco hasn’t left the garage since the first snow and road salting last month. I’ll probably do fluidfilm and not worry about it long term. The rust is the worst thing about living in MA, I spent most of my life in AZ and never had to worry about rust until moving here in 2020.
Similar for me, I'm a transplant (job moved me here) from CA to RI in 2018... (would rather be in CA than RI)

CyberOrangeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow

So what‘s the solution a cost to get the under carriage protected?

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's better than some I've seen. I'm concerned about this issue as well. The manufacturer's don't seem to care about underbody protection, especially at a component level.

The brine they spray on the roads these days is much more corrosive than the plain rock salt of the past.

What products did you end up using and will there be a follow up video?
Yes they are going to have follow up videos and pics that I will post on Monday. They are cleaning/prepping, then sanding the rusted parts, adding rust converter to those components, using Hardwax on the underbody, painting the axle shafts and drive shafts, then spraying Waxoil into the frame and enclosed areas. They may also remove both bumpers to ensure they can hit everywhere.

I know there are a lot of skeptics (and I am one of them), but this shop is like a museum, staffed by meticulous experts - not slimy salesmen. It would not be the cheapest place, but I'm highly confident that they do things right.

They claim it should stay intact for 5 years. And after that, I figure I can make a decision from there about if it's worth re-doing it or letting it start to deteriorate.

I realize that this is one of those things where you don't get to find out what would have happened if you didn't buy it. But I am jaded by 4Runner being totaled because of frame rust. And I plan to keep this Bronco for the long haul.

Sponsored

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes they are going to have follow up videos and pics that I will post on Monday. They are cleaning/prepping, then sanding the rusted parts, adding rust converter to those components, using Hardwax on the underbody, painting the axle shafts and drive shafts, then spraying Waxoil into the frame and enclosed areas. They may also remove both bumpers to ensure they can hit everywhere.

I know there are a lot of skeptics (and I am one of them), but this shop is like a museum, staffed by meticulous experts - not slimy salesmen. It would not be the cheapest place, but I'm highly confident that they do things right.

They claim it should stay intact for 5 years. And after that, I figure I can make a decision from there about if it's worth re-doing it or letting it start to deteriorate.

I realize that this is one of those things where you don't get to find out what would have happened if you didn't buy it. But I am jaded by 4Runner being totaled because of frame rust. And I plan to keep this Bronco for the long haul.
I'm not a skeptic at all. I bought a Samurai from Texas that was very rust free and clean underneath. We drove it twice in the snow in Pennsylvania and you wouldn't believe the rust that came out on the frame and chassis. Now I use Fluid Film on all my cars and it definitely helps.

Also your mechanic will thank you when all the fasteners aren't rusted to hell years from now.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wow

So what‘s the solution a cost to get the under carriage protected?
I'll let you know the cost later. But there are DIY products that could save you a lot, and there are probably cheaper shops (this place deals with a lot of exotic/luxury cars), but I wanted to find someone I felt I could trust and would not cut corners (not a snakeoil salesman). But this is looking to start at about $800. From there it depends on how much you want them to start taking the car apart to get everywhere (removing wheels, bumpers, flares, wheel wells, etc.). And painting drive shafts and axle shafts could be seen as more cosmetic than functional.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Similar for me, I'm a transplant (job moved me here) from CA to RI in 2018... (would rather be in CA than RI)
Judging by the people fleeing CA, you’re the only person who feels that way 🤣

I miss a lot of things about AZ, but I have a great job and great friends in MA. Also the boating is much better.
Ford Bronco UPDATED with before/after pics and video: Worried about rust on your Bronco? You should be. Here's why. 9685D1C5-08F9-41E9-B545-49BD84322A10

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Judging by the people fleeing CA, you’re the only person who feels that way 🤣

I miss a lot of things about AZ, but I have a great job and great friends in MA. Also the boating is much better.
Ford Bronco UPDATED with before/after pics and video: Worried about rust on your Bronco? You should be. Here's why. 9685D1C5-08F9-41E9-B545-49BD84322A10
there is definitely a G/W shark somewhere in that shot...

slocobra03

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

there is definitely a G/W shark somewhere in that shot...
Completely agree with that comment… there are a LOT of big teeth out there!
Sponsored