Sponsored

Would a V8 GMC Jimmy Sway You from the Bronco?

Would a V8 Jimmy Sway You?

• Total voters

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I love V8 engines (except for the maintenance.). However - my 2018 Fusion 1.5 turbo is equal off the line to my 1996 Bronco with a 5.8. My 2000 Taurus DOHC is similar. Yes the 96 Bronco can tow more, way more.
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The underpinnings of a body on frame Jimmy would be the Tahoe. I had a 3rd generation. Nice vehicle, good power, good towing ? terrible ground clearance (lots of aerodynamic tweaks for fuel economy) and lots of mechanical bits low and exposed for off road. I am sure they could fix a lot of those issues for an off road version, but it would give me pause if it was just a shorter Tahoe, which the concepts have been I believe.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The underpinnings of a body on frame Jimmy would be the Tahoe. I had a 3rd generation. Nice vehicle, good power, good towing ? terrible ground clearance (lots of aerodynamic tweaks for fuel economy) and lots of mechanical bits low and exposed for off road. I am sure they could fix a lot of those issues for an off road version, but it would give me pause if it was just a shorter Tahoe, which the concepts have been I believe.
It would most likely be based on the Colorado/Canyon

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
The upcoming Jimmy is supposedly body on frame. Chevy/GMC don't do quite as much badge engineering as they used to.
Other sources are saying that it could be unibody.
GM hadn't decided at the time of the article.
Sad part is; no matter which way GM goes, the twin facts of them even considering a unibody, combined with the short R&D timetable, means that the Jimmy will, more likely than not, not have removable doors.

The Jimmy will be more like the old Chevy Tracker than a G6 Bronco.

Third hand thought: if GM just slapped a 5 door body on the Colorado/Canyon frame, they'd have a mini Suburban. it would have that market sector to itself.
Making a 5 door on a pickup frame is much easier to do in the timeframe.

Jeep has looked into making a new Grand Wagoneer a bunch of times, but is too broke.
Which is why they made the simpler Gladiator instead.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Third hand thought: if GM just slapped a 5 door body on the Colorado/Canyon frame, they'd have a mini Suburban. it would have that market sector to itself.
Making a 5 door on a pickup frame is much easier to do in the timeframe.
Which is what they should've done for the Blazer :mad:

At this point, I'd be surprised if the Jimmy wasn't b-o-f. Particularly since it leaked that GM's CEO was not happy that they had nothing to counter the Bronco.

Jeep has looked into making a new Grand Wagoneer a bunch of times, but is too broke.
Which is why they made the simpler Gladiator instead.
They just revealed the Grand Wagoneer. It looks like a Tahoe or Expedition, with nary a hint of its heritage.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Neither of these would be likely to have a V8 option. Colorado and Canyon don’t have V8 options do they? That was the question the post mentioned.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Which is what they should've done for the Blazer :mad:

At this point, I'd be surprised if the Jimmy wasn't b-o-f. Particularly since it leaked that GM's CEO was not happy that they had nothing to counter the Bronco.

They just revealed the Grand Wagoneer. It looks like a Tahoe or Expedition, with nary a hint of its heritage.
Well we'll see.
While the last Tracker was a quasi b-o-f abomination, it did have a convertible 2D in the lineup.

Taking a saw to the Blazer's roof is the quickest way there.

-----

Time to look up this new Grand Wagoneer and try not to vomit.....

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Neither of these would be likely to have a V8 option. Colorado and Canyon don’t have V8 options do they? That was the question the post mentioned.
A V8 is pure wishful thinking.

A V8 Jimmy would be as massive and expensive as a Tahoe.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My thought too. Any comparable vehicle from GM would take a couple of years and be late to the party. Maybe they should revive the Corvair. That would be a cool retro vehicle ?

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Given the horror stories I've heard from current GM owners and my friends dad, who is a service advisor for the local GMC dealer, I wouldn't wanna own one if they gave it to me. Horrible electrical issues and problems from the jump. But this is only the newer vehicles.

So no. A V8 Jimmy wouldn't sway me from the Bronco.
I had a decade old Corvette that was plagued by electrical Issues and that made me never want another corvette even though I really loved mine other than the electrical issues (btw that same electrical issues has been going on since at least 2004 and Chevy has still not fixed it and keeps blaming the customers for the issues) so my vote is a big H*LL NO I would not purchase a new Jimmy lol

Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can anyone explain to me why they named it Jimmy?