Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It looks as though Ford will be producing a hybrid Bronco. I have very mixed feelings on this. Hybrids have become very impressive performance wise but I honestly don't know a lot about them. I do know they have a lot of low end torque and that they can go long distances without a fill up. Two major qualities for off-road exploring. However, I don't know how they holdup in bad weather, how hard they are to work on or their longevity. I know I don't want something I cant work on and I don't want that kill engine at stops type feature the Ranger has.

The upcoming Hybrid Mustang and F150 are very intriguing. Especially considering that it looks like it will be a V8. I mean I doubt that will make it into the Bronco but it's still interesting.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/11/2020-ford-f150-hybrid-450-hp-600-lb-ft-torque-specs-plugin/

Anyway, I just wanted to get your guys take on it. I'm on the fence with it.
I feel like a very small percent of you would even consider a hybrid but for what exact reasons?

Administrator's post from March 15th:

Next-Gen Hybrid Electrics: Part of Ford’s new strategy includes going all-in on hybrids to bring more capability to customers of our most popular and high-volume vehicles like F-150, Mustang, Explorer, Escape and Bronco – and serve as a hedge for customers against higher gas prices.

Ford’s new hybrids will offer customers more space than today’s hybrids. On the F-150 Hybrid, Ford will lean in to capability, such as the low-end torque for extra pulling power and the fact it can serve as a mobile generator. Mustang Hybrid will be all about delivering V8-like performance with more low-end torque.

“Hybrids for years have been mostly niche products but are now on the cusp of a mainstream breakout,” Farley said. “The valuable capability they offer – plus fuel efficiency – is why we’re going to offer hybrid variants of our most popular and high-volume vehicles, allowing our loyal, passionate customers to become advocates for the technology.”

Ford’s new hybrid system is designed to be more efficient and less expensive than previous generations. These lower costs – achieved through supply base relationships, using common cell and component design and by manufacturing motors, transmissions and battery packs – with the intention of lowering cost of ownership for customers.

Battery electric vehicles: Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) represent more than a different powertrain – they represent a lifestyle change for consumers, especially for those who have never driven an electric vehicle.

That is why Ford’s strategy includes rethinking the ownership experience so it is more seamless than with today’s gas-powered vehicles. That means making charging an effortless experience at home and on the road as well as offering full-vehicle over-the-air software updates to enhance capability and features.

“Throwing a charger in the trunk of a vehicle and sending customers on their way isn’t enough to help promote the viability of electric vehicles,” said Sherif Marakby, vice president, Autonomous and Electric Vehicles. “In addition to expanding our electric vehicle lineup, we are redesigning the ownership experience to ensure it addresses customer pain points that currently hold back broad adoption today.”

Ford’s BEV manufacturing plan will be more efficient. The company will halve floor space for final assembly operations and reduce capital investment 50 percent. A projected 30 percent improvement in labor efficiency will allow Ford to redeploy employees to do other jobs, including assembly of battery packs (which are normally expensive and complex to ship).

Ford’s new performance battery electric utility arrives in 2020. It is the first of six electric vehicles coming by 2022 as part of the company’s $11 billion global electric vehicle investment.
Sponsored

mattpa

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been poking around here for a while, finally registered to hopefully alleviate some fears for the hybrid. I bought my Fusion Hybrid new in 2014, and I love it. If the Bronco's hybrid system works as well for its intended use (low end torque, mobile genset, etc.) as the Fusion Hybrid's works for its very different intended use, I'll be sold.

I haven't had any issues in bad weather/rough treatment, aside from the usual mileage decrease with cold weather. Obviously I'm not using my car for anything near the Bronco's intended use, but I'm hopeful. All the electrical connections are/will be sealed, so I don't see any issues with moisture/submergence. If we can assume the Bronco has a similar hybrid system to the new Aviator, I think it'll be robust since it's not going through a CVT and there's no extra planetary.

Unfortunately I can't speak for working on them. This is the first new car I've bought, and I live a block from a Ford dealership, so it goes in for anything more serious than wiper blades (thus far only oil changes, knock on wood). Again, with the assumption it's the same setup as the Aviator I don't imagine it'll be much different working on than a standard ICE Bronco. The only exception would be if you're tearing into the trans, and if you're doing that you should know WTF you're doing anyway.

Regarding longevity, I haven't seen a decrease in battery life or performance after 85,xxx miles (knock on wood again). Note that since it does have low end torque from the electric motor, the Fusion Hybrid still has some balls. See my second paragraph regarding robustness.

I haven't driven an F-150 with the auto start/stop system, but I imagine it's like a gas golf cart. If that's the case, I'd turn the PITA off. However, with the hybrid I don't even notice the engine turn on leaving a light/stop sign. Once you take your foot off the brake you start idling, and immediately accelerating with the electric motor when you give it gas while the engine turns on. It's a pretty slick setup. Driving vehicles (including my mustang) where the engine doesn't shut off is weird now.

I'm not sure how quick the engine turns on when you (try to) do a brake torque, if anyone's concerned. No, I'm not gonna be the hard a** to find out if my hybrid can do a burnout.

TL;DR if Ford doesn't drastically f*** up Bronco Hybrid should be fine. Hybrid auto start/stop isn't noticeable because electric motor.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks as though Ford will be producing a hybrid Bronco. I have very mixed feelings on this. Hybrids have become very impressive performance wise but I honestly don't know a lot about them. I do know they have a lot of low end torque and that they can go long distances without a fill up. Two major qualities for off-road exploring. However, I don't know how they holdup in bad weather, how hard they are to work on or their longevity. I know I don't want something I cant work on and I don't want that kill engine at stops type feature the Ranger has.
The upcoming Hybrid Mustang and F150 are very intriguing. Especially considering that it looks like it will be a V8. I mean I doubt that will make it into the Bronco but it's still interesting.
I feel like a very small percent of you would even consider a hybrid but for what exact reasons?
I find the technology interesting, and choices are good, but I would not want it. Nor do I forsee myself wanting any electric, or autonomous vehicle in the next 10+ years. This is something that a lot of people say/think they want, but I am not remotely convinced of the practical reality of these options.

Simplicity is preferable, and the more parts and sensors added, especially electronically controlled ones, the more things there are to go wrong and require someone else and a box full of money to fix. Along the same line of thought, as much as I enjoy what turbos can do, they can slip into the same "too much stuff" category, especially for high performance engines -- as compared to a genuine 'work' truck engine that might have "detuned" level of HP for the same displacement, and much longer expected life.

Reliability/longevity and ease of repair weigh heavily in my powertrain choice. I've driven my current vehicle for 3x longer than the original owner did, and anticipate that I will keep the next vehicle I buy even longer. I might buy a second one some day, so I can heavily modify one of them for off-road use. That's one reason I'm still very up in the air about getting a 2 vs. 4 door Bronco/Wrangler.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I actively hate hybrids and small engines. If Ford puts a V8 in the Bronco I will really be interested. If my only choice is a hybrid I would not buy one. A 4 or 6 with a turbo I am not really interested in. Then the styling and or features would have to be awesome for me to want one. And by awesome I mean almost no features like the original Bronco. Simple, cheap, utilitarian.. If it's just another modern SUV loaded with expensive luxury items and without the performance or throwback feel, I probably won't be interested.

Sponsored

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Our Ford Fusion Energi has been amazing.
20 Miles on an overnight charge, and you never notice the difference on your power bill.
40+ Miles in Hybrid Mode. Over the summer when we were not doing a lot of recreational travel, the wife had her MPG up to 80MPG+

Since the Bronco would not be our Long Tripper, the gas savings for around town in a hybrid version would be well appreciated.
I''d give up the tiny rear storage if the Bronco went EV/Hybrid. The benefits for a lot of people would be well worth the adjustment.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/11/2020-ford-f150-hybrid-450-hp-600-lb-ft-torque-specs-plugin/

Anyway, I just wanted to get your guys take on it. I'm on the fence with it.

Administrator's post from March 15th:

Next-Gen Hybrid Electrics: Part of Ford’s new strategy includes going all-in on hybrids to bring more capability to customers of our most popular and high-volume vehicles like F-150, Mustang, Explorer, Escape and Bronco – and serve as a hedge for customers against higher gas prices.

Ford’s new hybrids will offer customers more space than today’s hybrids. On the F-150 Hybrid, Ford will lean in to capability, such as the low-end torque for extra pulling power and the fact it can serve as a mobile generator. Mustang Hybrid will be all about delivering V8-like performance with more low-end torque.

“Hybrids for years have been mostly niche products but are now on the cusp of a mainstream breakout,” Farley said. “The valuable capability they offer – plus fuel efficiency – is why we’re going to offer hybrid variants of our most popular and high-volume vehicles, allowing our loyal, passionate customers to become advocates for the technology.”

Ford’s new hybrid system is designed to be more efficient and less expensive than previous generations. These lower costs – achieved through supply base relationships, using common cell and component design and by manufacturing motors, transmissions and battery packs – with the intention of lowering cost of ownership for customers.

Battery electric vehicles: Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) represent more than a different powertrain – they represent a lifestyle change for consumers, especially for those who have never driven an electric vehicle.

That is why Ford’s strategy includes rethinking the ownership experience so it is more seamless than with today’s gas-powered vehicles. That means making charging an effortless experience at home and on the road as well as offering full-vehicle over-the-air software updates to enhance capability and features.

“Throwing a charger in the trunk of a vehicle and sending customers on their way isn’t enough to help promote the viability of electric vehicles,” said Sherif Marakby, vice president, Autonomous and Electric Vehicles. “In addition to expanding our electric vehicle lineup, we are redesigning the ownership experience to ensure it addresses customer pain points that currently hold back broad adoption today.”

Ford’s BEV manufacturing plan will be more efficient. The company will halve floor space for final assembly operations and reduce capital investment 50 percent. A projected 30 percent improvement in labor efficiency will allow Ford to redeploy employees to do other jobs, including assembly of battery packs (which are normally expensive and complex to ship).

Ford’s new performance battery electric utility arrives in 2020. It is the first of six electric vehicles coming by 2022 as part of the company’s $11 billion global electric vehicle investment.
I think an option similar to the Maverick would be just the ticket for a high MPG Bronco. Not all of us are obsessed with power.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it costs 4-5k extra over the 2.7 eco I will say no way unless the highway fuel economy is at least 5mpg over the 2.7
For that money they could sell a small diesel.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yesterday, my wife and I drove a Tesla Model Y to replace her 2016 Ford Edge (will look at the Mustang Mach-E as well). And while it isn't a hybrid, but a full on EV - hollllyyyy crrap did I like that car! The power was immediate and zero to 60 4.8 seconds is just impressive.

Now, I would be all for a PHEV (plug in hybrid) for the Bronco. I don't have a reservation yet, and am looking to see what comes out. A 20-30 mile range pure electric and then a switch to gas would give me all the around town driving I need on electric with the availability to drive anywhere I want to with the gas.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yesterday, my wife and I drove a Tesla Model Y to replace her 2016 Ford Edge (will look at the Mustang Mach-E as well). And while it isn't a hybrid, but a full on EV - hollllyyyy crrap did I like that car! The power was immediate and zero to 60 4.8 seconds is just impressive.

Now, I would be all for a PHEV (plug in hybrid) for the Bronco. I don't have a reservation yet, and am looking to see what comes out. A 20-30 mile range pure electric and then a switch to gas would give me all the around town driving I need on electric with the availability to drive anywhere I want to with the gas.
Lets say a vehicle like the Bronco gets about 20 mpg gas engine. Then if you convert to electric - everything else the same, how much does the electrical energy cost vs. buying gas?

Just curious.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
For us rural folks, plug ins are not practical. Hybrids are. The most practical vehicle for me at this point would be and F150 hybrid with the largest battery for when the power goes out. But a hybrid F150 is not a Bronco...

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A 4 or 6 with a turbo I am not really interested in.
Hello. I’m reporting back to you from the future. How about a 6 with 2 turbos? ;)

Zombienation

Base
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4Xe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Interesting thread, I posted earlier I am selling my 15 mustang gt due to new baby and the crazy used car prices and jumping into a hybrid wrangler 4xe on a short term lease until my bronco comes in. I really thought the 4xe was fun to drive with 370 hp and 470 tq when I took a test drive. 21 miles of electric is all I need on my daily commute. I would definitely be interested in what Ford comes up with for a hybrid.

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Give me a hybrid Bronco like the F-150. How could you go wrong with an onboard generator and battery. The benefits would be outstanding. Power your entire camp without needing haul around a generator. Probably better gas mileage as well.

Downside is long term that means a battery to replace and possibly more parts with added wear and tear.
Sponsored