Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if they had one in the lineup I'd have it on order. I plan to keep my BL for a long time, but if a good hybrid comes along I might just trade it in for one. Would be ideal for me, my day to day driving is maybe 5 miles on average, I'd not even have to plug the thing in for a week, let alone ever see a gas station unless we go somewhere. I checked the "might consider" option, as I'd have to see what the tech specs are and how the whole system works, but I'd definitely be shopping.

Now, if the Bronco were only offered with a V8, I'd not even be here, as I'd have zero interest in it then.

All electric will be a couple more years to make sure the range is long enough for my taste, then I'd consider that as well. But hybrid makes the most sense for now IMO.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hybrid longevity remains a sticking point for me. I don’t think we’re gonna see old F150 Powerboost’s on the road in 10-15 years. They’re going to have expensive battery replacements and I’m almost certain out of warranty electrical issues are going to be a sticking point for lots of early adopters. An ICE engine on the other hand, with minimal interior options (aka less shit to break outside warranty) stacks the odds much more in the longevity camp of which I am firmly in

Sponsored

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now, I would be all for a PHEV (plug in hybrid) for the Bronco. I don't have a reservation yet, and am looking to see what comes out. A 20-30 mile range pure electric and then a switch to gas would give me all the around town driving I need on electric with the availability to drive anywhere I want to with the gas.
This is exactly what I want. With my current reservation slot and build I'm a '22, and I would absolutely love to have a PHEV option. 20 miles of electric range gets me through most of my "normal" driving the kids around, etc all electric. Then when we need to get off the grid, we have gas. When we want to be quiet and just enjoy nature, we can do that too. Get to the camp site and need some power, Ford has been offering those options for a while and they would be a perfect fit with the Bronco. I think PHEV is a killer option in the Bronco. Even just writing this gets me excited for the option. We can see that Ford is committed to introducing PHEVs and BEVs, my only thing is how quick they can roll it out.

For those who are concerned about maintenance, I would rather be putting wear on the electric motor, with it's like 3 moving parts vs the twin turbo 2.7 and all of the complex engineering that goes into that thing. Transmissions for hybrid vehicles have had at least a decade to get the issues worked out. From what I'm reading about the Mach-E Ford seems to know what they are doing with a battery system. I trust Ford's engineers to give us a solid reliable vehicle, no matter how it moves.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hybrid longevity remains a sticking point for me. I don’t think we’re gonna see old F150 Powerboost’s on the road in 10-15 years.
I'm more concerned about the computer in the Bronco, my Mac is just about 10 years old now and I can't update lots of software anymore, so need to buy a new one.

I really don't see any of these Broncos still driving around in 20 years from now, nobody will make computer parts for it anymore, nobody will still support a 30 year old operating system, etc. At least I can't imagine. And w/o the computer brain, the thing is a brick that won't go anywhere. Of course, that goes for all modern cars. Can't imagine anyone driving a "classic" Tesla in 30 years either. I'm not aware of a single 20 year old computer still getting support and being able to run modern software. I have some, they will probably still start up, but that's as far as it'll go.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm more concerned about the computer in the Bronco, my Mac is just about 10 years old now and I can't update lots of software anymore, so need to buy a new one.

I really don't see any of these Broncos still driving around in 20 years from now, nobody will make computer parts for it anymore, nobody will still support a 30 year old operating system, etc. At least I can't imagine. And w/o the computer brain, the thing is a brick that won't go anywhere. Of course, that goes for all modern cars. Can't imagine anyone driving a "classic" Tesla in 30 years either. I'm not aware of a single 20 year old computer still getting support and being able to run modern software. I have some, they will probably still start up, but that's as far as it'll go.
Fair point. While I do appreciate modern tech/features on vehicles today I don’t like how that same tech basically turns them into a throwaway commodity past ~10 years. Close family friend still has a 2000 Ford Excursion V10 that I sold them a few years back. Runs like a top with basic maintenance. No major repairs, quarter of a million miles. If I could get ~15-20 years out of my Bronco I’d be stoked

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fair point. While I do appreciate modern tech/features on vehicles today I don’t like how that same tech basically turns them into a throwaway commodity past ~10 years.
that's my concern. My Taco is 19 years old this summer, has some computer in it, but nothing that I interact with, radio and yes - tape deck are completely independent, all control knobs are manual, computer controls some stuff for the engine and transmission I guess, but nothing that ever needed an over the air update and all that. I love the new tech, but yes, eventually these will be like any other old computer. Maybe some special shop will keep them running, but it'll be very expensive and probably not worth it. We'll see I guess.

My old iphone 5 that's floating around on my desk here is just a funny paper weight now. Nice how small they were compared to the pocket bricks we get now, but it's useless as a phone.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
While I like my NA miata, I don't see any reason to keep a modern vehicle longer than 10 years. Everything just gets so outdated. I would get a hybrid bronco if performance is greater or similar to 2.7tt.

Sponsored

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really don't see any of these Broncos still driving around in 20 years from now, nobody will make computer parts for it anymore, nobody will still support a 30 year old operating system, etc. At least I can't imagine. And w/o the computer brain, the thing is a brick that won't go anywhere. Of course, that goes for all modern cars. Can't imagine anyone driving a "classic" Tesla in 30 years either. I'm not aware of a single 20 year old computer still getting support and being able to run modern software.
Embedded systems are engineered very differently than the regular consumer systems you are used to. The hardware and necessary functions for a vehicle don't change over the 20 years it is in use. The software may get some updates in the first few years, but after that it will just keep on chugging. The computers in my 2000 M5 are not cutting edge ( and they weren't then either), but they keep doing their job day in day out.

As for whether the car will keep working when it's "computers" are old, I guess you should look at the ECU in almost any fuel injected car. The ECU in my 88 BMW has no issues. It certainly outlasted the suspension and a bunch of body panels.

Modern vehicles have lots and lots "computers" performing a lot of specialized actions, all of which don't require updates as they age. Certainly some fail, like every component in a car. Some of which are easy or hard to get, depending on the old car parts gods, just like other parts.

Basically what I'm saying is, just because you can't imagine it, doesn't mean an engineer didn't get paid to think about the features, implementation, reliability, longevity, and repairability of these systems. Just like the mechanical systems. It's not like this is FCA we are talking about ;)

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hybrid longevity remains a sticking point for me. I don’t think we’re gonna see old F150 Powerboost’s on the road in 10-15 years. They’re going to have expensive battery replacements and I’m almost certain out of warranty electrical issues are going to be a sticking point for lots of early adopters. An ICE engine on the other hand, with minimal interior options (aka less shit to break outside warranty) stacks the odds much more in the longevity camp of which I am firmly in
The real issue will be 20 years plus. Try to find an EEC-IV/E4OD processor at this point. Almost impossible to find a good one. Bronco's are a type of vehicle that could still be in actual use well over 20 years from now. Plenty of heeps still on the road from the 80's/90's (especially XJ's)..

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Wow this thread is raised from the dead!

I went from a v8 stang to a Jeep 4xE. Not paying for gas going to work>back is nice. The 375/475? HP/torque just isnt really there though. There's a good 1-2 second delay every time I hit the pedal to pass someone. At first I was thinking maybe this is turbo lag, but the RPMs don't move and no sound until it starts (when already moving and standstill). Could just be a Jeep software issue, but between that issue and the dismal E range on it honestly it seems more like the 4xE is a grab by FCA to charge a higher price and use the federal tax incentives.

That said, going to a vehicle ~13 years newer feels great and I love all the new tech, but pretty much everything in it is a step behind the Bronco. Can't wait to get mine, definitely not waiting for a PHEV version.
Sponsored