Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 335I Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the future, maybe I would consider again. Sorry, long rant/experience below.

Current situation is I have a 2018 Volvo XC60 T8 plug in hybrid. I bought it for all the tech, Swedish styling, and I liked the range of 20 miles of pure electric, with a motor to be able to go longer distance. Combined electric motors and gasoline is 400 horsepower. (The gasoline motor is an inline 4 turbo and supercharged). The car is quick.

Normally, I keep my cars at least 7-9 years. My previous car was an Audi Q5 with a 3.2L V6. After 8 years and 265,000 miles it was time to start looking around. Very few mechanical or electrical problems with the Audi. Few minor things like door lock motors going out the last year I had it, and the mesh screen motor that covers up the large pan-o-rama sunroof. But no major mechanical issues. I was worried that more expensive fixes were coming, so that was the reason I sold it and mileage was getting up there.

i thought the Volvo would be great. New tech, beautiful design, all the new features (hybrid, adaptive cruise control with lane centering, huge touchscreen interface, massaging cooled seats, etc). Those things are nice. However at least Volvo hasn’t figured out how to make this vehicle reliable. Twice the vehicle has left me stranded and has gone into “limp home” mode, which limits speed to 20 mph. Car had to be towed back to dealer for repairs. Once was an engine control module, another time a cooling issue within the hybrid battery. (Car has been in no less than 6 times for check engine light relating to cooling of the hybrid battery). Another time, the car wouldn’t unlock the charging cable - had to drive to the dealer with the plug still plugged in, and through the window. Ended up being some charging module. Car has 64,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. A month ago, check engine light came on, and was over $1600 in repairs. They sold me a Volvo add on extended warranty for another 60,000 miles, but it has a $500 deductible. I got the car back and 2 weeks later check engine light came on. Called dealer I have had all service done on and they would get back to me with a time to bring the car in. Tried to get an appointment for 3 days. Called a different dealer and they took me the next day. Gave me a loaner to drive while car is in the shop. They had my Volvo for 20 days to figure out the problem. Ended up being a cooling issue again, and I was charged the $500 deductible. Had I not had the extended warranty, the repair would have been over $3,000.

During these 20 days is when I put in my reservation for a new Bronco. I have had it with this Volvo. I realize I will be stuck with it until the middle of next year or so, but at least I know I will eventually have an out.

i certainly wouldn’t trust another Volvo (or Polestar their other brand) plug in electric vehicle. I am sure others are better But I am going back to a gasoline engine and a manually transmission. Some day down the road in 10-20 years I would reconsider an electric, but the companies that are just starting to make them need more time to get the dependability up. I would have full trust in a Toyota Prius, as they have been building them forever, but I have no desire to drive a Prius. Nothing about them appeals to me.

My very long 2 cents.
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
No. They will put a horrible CVT in it. I cannot stress how much I hate CVTs. Even worse than standard automatics.

I wouldn't even be buying a Bronco if I couldn't order a stick shift. And nobody is going to put a manual in a hybrid.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think simpler is better. I really dislike that consumers have embraced the overly-complex hybrid set up.

ICE are simple. But so are pure EV (not hybrid). Lots of super cars use electric motors because the are more responsive than gas motors.

My Bronco is for going deep into the woods for a week or two at s time. With today's technology ICE is still the best choice for that.

Buy the time I pay off the Bronco, I would consider a small EV for daily commute, but not a hybrid, and I will not be replacing my ICE, manual Bronco for a long, long, long time.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A hybrid makes a lot of sense in a truck. I would definitely buy a hybrid Bronco if the price increase was not too exorbitant.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The phrasing of the answers didn't leave a choice that fits me. I would be interested a hybrid if I didn't have to give up anything else on my current build. The 7MT is mandatory. Honda made a manual hybrid with the Insight, so it is possible.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd actually cancel my reservation if they offered a V8.... So I could save up more for it.
I don't think Ford wants to just yet because they've committed to fuel economy and the ecoboost branding and say it wouldn't be cost effective etc, HOWEVER, once the V8 Jeep drops and is out alongside the broncos, people crosshopping who aren't bronco fanatics are going to ask about a V8, and bring up the Jeep V8 availability. I'm sure at that time if they're polling potential customers, a V8 option is going to come up.
To that note, I've always wondered, with fuel economy being so obsessed with by Fords current marketing, why haven't they developed a V8 similar to other manufacturers that has cylinder deactivation for better economy on paper? This would help them achieve better MPGs and offer the V8
Cylinder deactivation sucks. I'd rather just pay whatever BS tax someone wants to charge me based on whatever phony fuel economy numbers they use.

Hello. I’m reporting back to you from the future. How about a 6 with 2 turbos? ;)
Hi there. I'm not really interested in more turbos. It could have 3 or 4, doesn't matter to me. But I would really like more cylinders.

Fair point. While I do appreciate modern tech/features on vehicles today I don’t like how that same tech basically turns them into a throwaway commodity past ~10 years. Close family friend still has a 2000 Ford Excursion V10 that I sold them a few years back. Runs like a top with basic maintenance. No major repairs, quarter of a million miles. If I could get ~15-20 years out of my Bronco I’d be stoked
My 1999 F250 has a V10 in it as well. And over 1/4 million miles. I've owned it for something like 7 or 8 years of its 23 year life and very little has gone wrong with it. I realize car companies might not love reliable vehicles that last virtually forever, but that's what you can get with a naturally aspirated ICE. Why would I want to buy disposable junk with a built-in expiration date?

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cylinder deactivation sucks. I'd rather just pay whatever BS tax someone wants to charge me based on whatever phony fuel economy numbers they use.

Hi there. I'm not really interested in more turbos. It could have 3 or 4, doesn't matter to me. But I would really like more cylinders.

My 1999 F250 has a V10 in it as well. And over 1/4 million miles. I've owned it for something like 7 or 8 years of its 23 year life and very little has gone wrong with it. I realize car companies might not love reliable vehicles that last virtually forever, but that's what you can get with a naturally aspirated ICE. Why would I want to buy disposable junk with a built-in expiration date?
Yes, that's a great choice back in 1999.
How long will we be able to buy new vehicles with highly reliable V8 or V10 engines going forward?

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How long will we be able to buy new vehicles with highly reliable V8 or V10 engines going forward?
Well the new Ford 7.3 V8 is a start. Pushrod, no cylinder deactivation, port fuel injection. If one’s looking for a longevity based powertrain that’s the one to pick.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's a great choice for me now. I wouldn't be surprised if it will continue to work fine for me longer than a new F250 if I decided to buy one tomorrow. I need a pickup, but I wouldn't use a big vehicle like that for daily transportation anyway. Seems too wasteful.

I'd say how long reliable long lasting engines will be available depends on consumers. And those highly reliable engines are mostly gone now. Most of the recent changes such as direct injection, cylinder deactivation, turbos on everything are much less reliable, more expensive to make and more expensive to fix than prior vehicles.

If most consumers are fine with buying super expensive but disposable vehicles that aren't going to be worth repairing in 10 years, then that's what the manufacturers will continue to offer from now on.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In the future, maybe I would consider again. Sorry, long rant/experience below.

Current situation is I have a 2018 Volvo XC60 T8 plug in hybrid. I bought it for all the tech, Swedish styling, and I liked the range of 20 miles of pure electric, with a motor to be able to go longer distance. Combined electric motors and gasoline is 400 horsepower. (The gasoline motor is an inline 4 turbo and supercharged). The car is quick.

Normally, I keep my cars at least 7-9 years. My previous car was an Audi Q5 with a 3.2L V6. After 8 years and 265,000 miles it was time to start looking around. Very few mechanical or electrical problems with the Audi. Few minor things like door lock motors going out the last year I had it, and the mesh screen motor that covers up the large pan-o-rama sunroof. But no major mechanical issues. I was worried that more expensive fixes were coming, so that was the reason I sold it and mileage was getting up there.

i thought the Volvo would be great. New tech, beautiful design, all the new features (hybrid, adaptive cruise control with lane centering, huge touchscreen interface, massaging cooled seats, etc). Those things are nice. However at least Volvo hasn’t figured out how to make this vehicle reliable. Twice the vehicle has left me stranded and has gone into “limp home” mode, which limits speed to 20 mph. Car had to be towed back to dealer for repairs. Once was an engine control module, another time a cooling issue within the hybrid battery. (Car has been in no less than 6 times for check engine light relating to cooling of the hybrid battery). Another time, the car wouldn’t unlock the charging cable - had to drive to the dealer with the plug still plugged in, and through the window. Ended up being some charging module. Car has 64,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. A month ago, check engine light came on, and was over $1600 in repairs. They sold me a Volvo add on extended warranty for another 60,000 miles, but it has a $500 deductible. I got the car back and 2 weeks later check engine light came on. Called dealer I have had all service done on and they would get back to me with a time to bring the car in. Tried to get an appointment for 3 days. Called a different dealer and they took me the next day. Gave me a loaner to drive while car is in the shop. They had my Volvo for 20 days to figure out the problem. Ended up being a cooling issue again, and I was charged the $500 deductible. Had I not had the extended warranty, the repair would have been over $3,000.

During these 20 days is when I put in my reservation for a new Bronco. I have had it with this Volvo. I realize I will be stuck with it until the middle of next year or so, but at least I know I will eventually have an out.

i certainly wouldn’t trust another Volvo (or Polestar their other brand) plug in electric vehicle. I am sure others are better But I am going back to a gasoline engine and a manually transmission. Some day down the road in 10-20 years I would reconsider an electric, but the companies that are just starting to make them need more time to get the dependability up. I would have full trust in a Toyota Prius, as they have been building them forever, but I have no desire to drive a Prius. Nothing about them appeals to me.

My very long 2 cents.
I think Ford has a pretty good history with Hybrid/PI and invested 4.5b in 2015. I think they are moving there, as is Toyota. I'd also add between the current offerings, Mustang, and Lighting the Bronco will be a late adopter which is good imo.

Volvo is a little behind the big brands, and they tend to pack so much tech in odds of issues are probably higher. Wife has a 90 and it is fantastic but also buggy at times.

I'd say hybrid isn't for everyone either but the more options the better :)

Sponsored

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

even before the current skyrocketing fuel prices, I'd be interested in a hybrid option for the Bronco - totally makes sense

Markpf189

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes absolutely, I think hybrids are a perfect sweet spot. Especially for someone like me that lives in a cold climate where full EVs struggle a bit.

nathanrhode

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would've bought one 100% if they were out when I purchased my Bronco in January. NO way I would purchase one now seeing how the prices would be astronomical: no end in sight to these price increases. On a side note, I had my Bronco in for its first oil change and I cannot believe the prices of ALL vehicles now while I was on the showroom.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There is an entire forum for this now on this site, but since Ford has said nothing it is pretty dead.

Yes I would buy a hybrid Bronco... provided it was not essentially worthless like the Explorer hybrid that give you one extra MPG for all the extra price. Which leads me into the second point, the pricing would have to come back down to earth. Current new car prices are f'ing stupid!
Sponsored