Sponsored

Would anyone want to see a Bronco with no removable parts?

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Call it the Explorer and sign me up :)
Yep. Ford f'ed up by turning the Explorer into a fwd x-over. They should have re-badged the Everest and used a new name for the 7 passenger people mover.
There is demand for 4x4 off road trucks.
They also took too long to bring the current Ranger to the US.
Thankfully, they've seemed to have done an awesome job with the Bronco.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 / 94 Cobra SVT #13
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My favorites have always been Landrcuisers and Defenders. Since Toyota and LR have dropped the ball with their designs I would love to see a Bronco Wagon SUV. It seems like it would pull a lot of Defender and LC lovers over. I always wanted to see a larger Jeep JL Wagon but it doesn't seem like that's what people want.

Just curious about your opinion.

This is my first post here and I hope to learn a lot from you guys.
So essentially .... the Explorer is what you want, which exists...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yep. Ford f'ed up by turning the Explorer into a fwd x-over. They should have re-badged the Everest and used a new name for the 7 passenger people mover.
There is demand for 4x4 off road trucks.
They also took too long to bring the current Ranger to the US.
Thankfully, they've seemed to have done an awesome job with the Bronco.
LOL - what? The 2020+ Explorer is rear wheel drive... where are you getting your info?

OP
OP

kingtut38

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silverado High Country Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So essentially .... the Explorer is what you want, which exists...
Nope. I want something that looks like the Bronco with it's capabilities in a fixed roof vehicle. Name doesn't matter to me.

Having said that, I'll be buying a new Bronco either way.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL - what? The 2020+ Explorer is rear wheel drive... where are you getting your info?
The 5th generation, 2011-2019.
Where are you getting your information?

Sponsored

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My favorites have always been Landrcuisers and Defenders. Since Toyota and LR have dropped the ball with their designs I would love to see a Bronco Wagon SUV. It seems like it would pull a lot of Defender and LC lovers over. I always wanted to see a larger Jeep JL Wagon but it doesn't seem like that's what people want.

Just curious about your opinion.

This is my first post here and I hope to learn a lot from you guys.
You are not the only one who wants to see the rebirth of the traditional Defender with some modern updates. Ineos is getting near production on the Grenadier, which will have solid axles (front and rear), wagon-style (no removable top), two-speed transfer case, locking differentials, and an emphasis on simplicity (minimal electronics). Check it out: https://ineosgrenadier.com/

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 5th generation, 2011-2019.
Where are you getting your information?
2020+

The new Explorer is nothing like the prior 2011-2019 platform as you have now referenced. Your prior statement didn’t call out the years - and hence my comment about 2020+.

?

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As long as the hard top is relatively quiet I don't really care. If I had my choice I'd go non-removable but it's not a big deal.

Just wanted to chime in on the FJ smack: The FJ failed for a lot of reasons, but I don't think a fixed roof was high on the list. Just some examples of it's problems - launched a "toy" type vehicle 2 years before an economic collapse yet bailed at the beginning of an off-road boom, 2 doors SUVs are as hard sell especially with the 4Runner being available, most people under 40 had no idea what "FJ" was a reference to, let alone had any attachment to it's heritage, etc, etc.
I agree. In addition to the FJ-Cruiser being a little too "short" for a lot of people (i.e. no true four-door option) the visibility was abysmal. I really wanted one though. A lot of people don't know that the manual transmission FJ had full-time four-wheel drive, as well as traditional 4-High and 4-Low; this "all-wheel drive" option in a true 4x4 was rare back in 2007 when the FJ came out. Its a great feature for winter driving on roads that alternate between dry conditions and snow/ice. Not only could you get a manual transmission, but it also had a manual transfer case (that's the holy grail for those os us who like that physical connection to the vehicle). But I couldn't get over the huge C-pillar and overall poor visibility.

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Simply...No. A main attraction of the Bronco is the ability to add, remove, modify, customize.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2020+

The new Explorer is nothing like the prior 2011-2019 platform as you have now referenced. Your prior statement didn’t call out the years - and hence my comment about 2020+.

?
Did any other generation Explorer use a fwd architecture?

Sponsored

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. In addition to the FJ-Cruiser being a little too "short" for a lot of people (i.e. no true four-door option) the visibility was abysmal. I really wanted one though. A lot of people don't know that the manual transmission FJ had full-time four-wheel drive, as well as traditional 4-High and 4-Low; this "all-wheel drive" option in a true 4x4 was rare back in 2007 when the FJ came out. Its a great feature for winter driving on roads that alternate between dry conditions and snow/ice. Not only could you get a manual transmission, but it also had a manual transfer case (that's the holy grail for those os us who like that physical connection to the vehicle). But I couldn't get over the huge C-pillar and overall poor visibility.
The visibility was terrible but it was in an odd way comforting. You felt like you were in a tank. It was the most comfortable off-road capable vehicle I've ever driven on long trips. 14 hours straight through to Moab without fatigue is not a common aspect in a 4x4. And it was far more capable off-road than the Jeep guys would give it credit for. I went everywhere they did; admittedly nothing hardcore.

And there is something sexy about using a manual transfer case.

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The visibility was terrible but it was in an odd way comforting. You felt like you were in a tank. It was the most comfortable off-road capable vehicle I've ever driven on long trips. 14 hours straight through to Moab without fatigue is not a common aspect in a 4x4. And it was far more capable off-road than the Jeep guys would give it credit for. I went everywhere they did; admittedly nothing hardcore.

And there is something sexy about using a manual transfer case.
I know what you mean about the visibility being oddly comforting! But for me, the downside of the visibility outweighed the upside. Yup - a manual transfer case is awesome! Even though the FJ-Cruiser didn't work for me, I think it is a great vehicle.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the removable parts, without it i wouldn’t consider a Bronco and would replace my Jk by a JL.
I believe Bronco will be in some extents a little more comfy than Jeep (less of a tractor feeling).

I had a Durango R/T for some time, this is another level of comfort (and exhaust sound!!!) and i liked it. Still I want the “essentials only” interior and not worry about sand/mud/snow. Easy wash out, and go to the next adventure!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
You are not the only one who wants to see the rebirth of the traditional Defender with some modern updates. Ineos is getting near production on the Grenadier, which will have solid axles (front and rear), wagon-style (no removable top), two-speed transfer case, locking differentials, and an emphasis on simplicity (minimal electronics). Check it out: https://ineosgrenadier.com/
As a Land Rover fan (I own a 1972 Series III) I kind of look at the new Bronco as the rebirth of the Defender. Or at least, what I had hoped the new Defender would be. The new Defender without removable top and utility nature, doesn't feel like a Defender to me.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had been wanting a convertible Mustang for years, but where i'm at I'd only drive it between April and September, what a waste. So I look at the Bronco as my 4x4 convertible 'Stang that I can enjoy year round. Top has to come off, that's the whole point.
Sponsored