First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello, it looks like I'll be able to get my wife on board so things are looking good for getting a base Bronco.

As background, I have off roaded a lot but only larger, military vehicles. So tire selection for a Bronco is something I need help with.

I'm not like most on here... This is my daily driver and I'm rarely going to take it off road except on some weekends and to certain job sites. I currently have a Subaru Crosstrek.

From reviews I've found that the Continental TerrainContact A/T seem to be mostly highway tire with a dash of off road ability. But what size? I'm not wanting wide mud tires, just a practical compromise wheel and tire size. I like the old Land Rover series and early Broncos with the skinny tall tires and being that they're narrow I would think they'd be better for gas mileage and also give me a bump in the height as I'll likely get the base model bronco. But I've never driven skinny tall tires except maybe on a military G-wagon and I've slept since then. And never took it on the road for long periods of time.

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.
Sponsored

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala, Buick Enclave, '77 Suzuki GS750
Your Bronco Model
Base
So you're looking for the best compromise AT tire on a 16" wheel, am I reading that right?

TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go with 265/70/16 for just a bit more sidewall. The Terrain Contact tires are on my wife’s SUV. They are very impressive, and I think they have more than a dash of off road capability. They do generate a little more road noise than an all season tire, but it’s perfectly acceptable. Just for reference, the SUV is used in SW Colorado to get to alpine lakes, hiking trails, fishing etc. on rutted roads, and mild/moderate shelf roads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
So you're looking for the best compromise AT tire on a 16" wheel, am I reading that right?
I'm open to an alloy wheel as well since it'll weigh less, probably a 17-18", but if I can be happy with my stock steel wheels and whatever tire then I'm fine with that too.

Go with 265/70/16 for just a bit more sidewall. The Terrain Contact tires are on my wife’s SUV. They are very impressive, and I think they have more than a dash of off road capability. They do generate a little more road noise than an all season tire, but it’s perfectly acceptable. Just for reference, the SUV is used in SW Colorado to get to alpine lakes, hiking trails, fishing etc. on rutted roads, and mild/moderate shelf roads.
That's good to hear. Adding a bit of width and sidewall would likely be the best compromise, but I don't have the experience to know that. Good that my line of thinking isn't far off. Would going any higher in aspect ratio begin to cause drifting or other negative road characteristics?

Thank you both for the replies.

Sponsored

GEP

Badlands
First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In pretty demanding service (Alberta Oil Field site visits on pipeline jobs) I've run Duratracs, Wildpeaks, and right now the latest Cooper Discoverer AT. All Mtn Snowflake certified. Wildpeaks felt most planted but the Coopers have noticeable benefit in MPF on highway and I haven't found them lacking on temporary roads and construction sites.

TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is a comparison between the base bronco stock tire size vs. 265/70/16. As you can see, the sidewall increase is only 4.3%. I think you will be perfectly fine. I have Duratracs on my Jeep (they are great, and is a great snow tire as well, but there is a good amount of road noise) but I think they do not fit your ”use case” as well as the Continentals.

Ford Bronco Would appreciate help with tire selection A498C526-E631-4B18-93DF-DFC50D04F0B9

I'm open to an alloy wheel as well since it'll weigh less, probably a 17-18", but if I can be happy with my stock steel wheels and whatever tire then I'm fine with that too.

That's good to hear. Adding a bit of width and sidewall would likely be the best compromise, but I don't have the experience to know that. Good that my line of thinking isn't far off. Would going any higher in aspect ratio begin to cause drifting or other negative road characteristics?

Thank you both for the replies.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is a comparisOn..
Wow! That's a cool tool. I'm going to have to use that thank you.

Does anyone have experience with a tall skinny passenger tire such as a 255/85/16 or a plus two equivalent 255/~60/18 that could share?

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Austin, I'm not going to recommend a tire size, because there are a ton of options from stock, to cash out your 401K, and you have a better idea of what you're looking for.
As far as tire recommendations, I would suggest something like a dedicated AT tire. BFG KO2's, Falken AT3Ws, General Grabber AT3, Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3s or similar. Avoid street tires posing as all terrains (I'm looking at you terra grappler) If you spend time with snow, the 3 peak symbol is usually indicative of a tire that handles snow reasonably well, but these are not dedicated snow tires. All of these tires are fairly quiet on road, have decent street manners and will take you farther off the beaten path than you would believe. If there are specific situations you encounter or local terrain considerations (sand, clay mud, volcanic rock) your choice should focus on those.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you JT1. I'll read up on a couple of those models I hadn't considered before. And like I said, I'm not in any way wanting a hard core tire. I live in a subtropical climate so mostly wet, mud, sand and never snow.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've run the Nitto Tera Grapplers and Ridge Graplers. For light duty offroad use, The Teras are great. Decent tread pattern, quiet and well mannered on pavement.

The Ridge Grapplers are considered a hybrid tire. They're more aggressive than the Teras and designed to compete against KO2, Wranglers, etc. They are some of the best offroad tires you can get. They have overall softer rubber than most of the competition. It makes them incredibly sticky when crawling over rocks, even wet. They're still relatively quiet and well mannered on road. They are great in the snow, though kinda crap on ice (what AT isn't?). However, the softer rubber means a hit in longevity. Over two sets of tires, I've gotten around 22-25k miles on a set.

I do wheel hard and regularly so that should be factored into longevity too.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You people. Now I want only KO2's. Great. How's that supposed to happen? I don't want the BL....

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm considering Base. Looking at a 255/75R17, four I'm thinking about: